• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

• Administrator

(This is a revised version of the old thread, if you had a request that was not attended to, please post it as a new post in this thread)

This is the place to request that scores in the CGC Registry competitive sets be evaluated. You may have slight disagreements with scores, but some of those slight disagreements just boil down to a judgement call. What we're looking for here are clearly incorrect scoring examples. Please provide links, sales histories or any other data that may be helpful in making the appropriate changes to the score.

Hi Gemma.

Albedo #4 (3rd appearance, Usagi Yojimbo) was dropped from 200 points to 48 points as part of your updates. This and Albedo #3 contain Part I & II of the same early Usagi story.

Would it be possible to adjust this book?

----------------------------

Albedo 1 CGC 9.8 - 200 (Dark Red)

Albedo 1 CGC 9.8 - 65 (Bright Red)

Albedo 2 CGC 9.8 - 4400

Albedo 3 CGC 9.8 - 160

Albedo 4 CGC 9.8 - 200

Albedo 5 CGC 9.8 - 200

Albedo 6 CGC 9.8 - 40

Albedo 7 CGC 9.8 - 40

Albedo 8 CGC 9.8 - Not listed, but there are two graded books in the census.

----------------------------

My recommended changes:

Albedo 1 Bright Red CGC 9.8 - 100 points - Although a later printing, these still sell quite well as they are sought after by Albedo completest. I'd also recommend giving it a dedicated slot rather than mixing it in with the Dark Red edition.

Albedo 3 CGC 9.8 - 200 points - This contains the 2nd appearance of Usagi, and Part I of the story that shows up in Albedo 4; not sure there should be a difference in points.

Albedo 6-8 CGC 9.8 - 50 points each - Although nothing significant in the way of character appearance, these books are 25 years old and sought after by Albedo completest.

Albedo 9-14 CGC 9.8 - 50 points each - There are none graded yet, but I would recommend the same scores once I someone submits them.

Thanks for all your valuable assistance. :foryou:

Hi Gemma.

Rocketeer Special #1 was dropped down to 40 points for a CGC 9.8, and I'd like to suggest 60 points for this book as it is a sought-out Stevens with an early Rocketeer appearance.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'd like to recommend the points for these books be standardized across all three sets to the following levels, if possible:

- Starslayer 2 CGC 9.8 = 100 points

- Starslayer 3 CGC 9.8 = 60 points

- Pacific Presents 1 CGC 9.8 = 60 points

- Pacific Presents 2 CGC 9.8 = 60 points

- Rocketeer Special 1 CGC 9.8 = 60 points

Gemma,

Bakersfield Kountry Komics is a 1973 book with only 4 graded copies (highest is 9.4).

I think this is harder to find in high grade than most of the first print Cherries from the 80's and 90's.

48 points for a 9.8 should probably be tripled.

JMHO

Please check with Eggs and Fogel to confirm....

Thanks.

Preacher #56 has no registry point structure set up.

Walking Dead (Okruzen Mrtvima) has a #10 Serbian Sketch edition and a #10 Black and White edition. There should only be one slot Which I would suggest be the sketch edition to be consistent with #2.

Thanks!!

• Administrator
Gemma,

Bakersfield Kountry Komics is a 1973 book with only 4 graded copies (highest is 9.4).

I think this is harder to find in high grade than most of the first print Cherries from the 80's and 90's.

48 points for a 9.8 should probably be tripled.

JMHO

Please check with Eggs and Fogel to confirm....

Thanks.

I have raised it up slightly for the time being, but will do more research to see about appropriate scoring for this comic. My main concern was that I didn't want to value it above Cherry #1 & #2 unless that is proper for the series.

• Administrator
Not massively important but in the IDW GI Joe: ARAH set 2010 the retail incentive covers are scored the same as the regular covers.

I'm not upscoring most of the new variants until there are enough sales over time to warrant the boost due to the past complaints about overscoring on Moderns....so, they may get the boost in the near future, but I just want any "hype" to die off first. :)

Not massively important but in the IDW GI Joe: ARAH set 2010 the retail incentive covers are scored the same as the regular covers.

I'm not upscoring most of the new variants until there are enough sales over time to warrant the boost due to the past complaints about overscoring on Moderns....so, they may get the boost in the near future, but I just want any "hype" to die off first. :)

(thumbs u Gotcha, thanks Gemma!

In the newly added "Archie - Spire Christian Comics" set, most of the slots do not have a points system attached to them. All of them sell for around the same as the rest, so could you please equalize them to about the same point systems until further research can be done into values/rarity (either by me or your team).

Thanks!

• Administrator

The slots without scores do not have graded examples for me to score at this time. If you have any certification numbers of graded copies that I have missed please feel free to post them here.

Hi Gemma.

So by this week, we should now have two graded copies of Primer #6 (Comico Comics) in the census. It has taken four years to find two copies even worth submitting, these have become so difficult to track down in high grade.

Since this is Chuck Dixon's first professional comic work long before his fantastic 1992-1999 extensive run on Detective Comics, it has more significance than most would realize. But in-between the two series, he also worked on Airboy, Batgirl, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, Moon Knight, Nightwing, Punisher, and Robin. He also found some time to work on Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Team 7, and Prophet. And in the near-term, he is working on Dynamite's Man With No Name series and IDW's G.I. Joe series. One of the clear workhorses of the comic industry!

I add all that detail so if anyone is not aware of the critical nature of this book, they should be now. And yes, Primer #6 also contains the 1st appearance of a semi-minor character, Evangeline.

I'd like to recommend this book be assigned 600 points for a 9.8 Universal, although it will be interesting if we ever see a copy at this level. And with Primer #2 having 1,040 points due to the popular 1st appearance of Grendel and 285 copies in the census, I don't think it is an unreasonable request on an extremely tough book with a count of two.

By the way, I'm not even sure if the label will state "1st professional work of Chuck Dixon" since none have ever been submitted before.

hm

Thanks for your consideration.

Nick

Hi Gemma.

So by this week, we should now have two graded copies of Primer #6 (Comico Comics) in the census. It has taken four years to find two copies even worth submitting, these have become so difficult to track down in high grade.

Since this is Chuck Dixon's first professional comic work long before his fantastic 1992-1999 extensive run on Detective Comics, it has more significance than most would realize. But in-between the two series, he also worked on Airboy, Batgirl, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, Moon Knight, Nightwing, Punisher, and Robin. He also found some time to work on Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Team 7, and Prophet. And in the near-term, he is working on Dynamite's Man With No Name series and IDW's G.I. Joe series. One of the clear workhorses of the comic industry!

I add all that detail so if anyone is not aware of the critical nature of this book, they should be now. And yes, Primer #6 also contains the 1st appearance of a semi-minor character, Evangeline.

I'd like to recommend this book be assigned 600 points for a 9.8 Universal, although it will be interesting if we ever see a copy at this level. And with Primer #2 having 1,040 points due to the popular 1st appearance of Grendel and 285 copies in the census, I don't think it is an unreasonable request on an extremely tough book with a count of two.

I respectfully disagree.

The reason there are only two graded copies in the census is because people can't be bothered to dig through their boxes and find copies to submit to CGC - just like it's the case with Primer #1, #3 and #4.

Much like the vast majority of copper books, it really has nothing to do with rarity, and everything to do with value & demand. And there is no demand to speak of for this book - raw copies are $1 books, and even a CGC 9.8 copy would be luck to break the $100 mark.

My vote is that it gets the same number of points as a Primer #1.

I respectfully disagree.

The reason there are only two graded copies in the census is because people can't be bothered to dig through their boxes and find copies to submit to CGC - just like it's the case with Primer #1, #3 and #4.

Much like the vast majority of copper books, it really has nothing to do with rarity, and everything to do with value & demand. And there is no demand to speak of for this book - raw copies are $1 books, and even a CGC 9.8 copy would be luck to break the $100 mark.

When I wrote this request, I had you in mind (hence, all the details).

I would respectfully disagree with your recommendation, as many probably had no idea this was even Chuck Dixon's 1st work. All they would know is Evangeline. And what signifant character/creator came out of Primer #1? Victor, Slaughterman, Az, Mr. Justice and Skrog were very short-lived, and at least Evangeline made it into a series for two issues with Comico and thirteen issues with First Comics.

You could always dig through your collection and submit that 9.8 for just me to admire.

:popcorn:

I respectfully disagree.

When I wrote this request, I had you in mind (hence, all the details).

I would respectfully disagree with your recommendation, as many probably had no idea this was even Chuck Dixon's 1st work. All they would know is Evangeline. And what signifant character/creator came out of Primer #1? Victor, Slaughterman, Az, Mr. Justice and Skrog were very short-lived, and at least Evangeline made it into a series for two issues with Comico and thirteen issues with First Comics.

You could always dig through your collection and submit that 9.8 for just me to admire.

:popcorn:

And, at some point, I might very well do just that :foryou:

The problem with a book like Primer #6, though, is that you & I (and a couple other CA-centric boardies) find it interesting to have a copy in 9.8, but in the marketplace outside of these boards it just doesn't have much value. Primer #2 is the exact opposite - it's the intro of a long-running, popular character, and sells easily both raw & slabbed.

Having a notation saying "Chuck Dixon's 1st work" on the label isn't really going to change this - it's a dollar-bin book that's relatively hard to find in 9.8 because it's been in a dollar bin all these years, just like so many other copper age books.

Having a notation saying "Chuck Dixon's 1st work" on the label isn't really going to change this - it's a dollar-bin book that's relatively hard to find in 9.8 because it's been in a dollar bin all these years, just like so many other copper age books.

I do agree that most would care less. And you also know I very much respect your opinion. :foryou:

But this registry is geared towards folks that value certain titles/characters/books, and put the effort into their titles through research and perseverance. I would hope the points reflect this when the significance of a book is discovered.

Look at Primer #2, which I agree has significant value. But many on here know of the Koch warehouse find that he sold through over the years. Not rare at all, and yet folks will drop $500 on a 9.8 because it's a must-have, and the registry reflects this super-high value.

And I have no problem with anyone countering my recommendations. But it's like a few months ago when you felt my recommendation on Razor Annual #1 was off-the-wall because "nobody really cared about this book." And at the time, there were 7 in the census. Now there are 34. Someone else cared more than me, and I am sure CGC appreciated the small but rather decent jump.

And no - they are not all mine.

:insane:

Find that Primer 6 9.8 and I guarantee you $60 for this insignificant book. How's that to keep it interesting? And I'm not being a smart aleck. I'm being serious.

:foryou:

I'll chime in with my 2c

I think 600 points is disproportional to the value placed on other average, hard-working artists. I'd like to see a comparative list of point values for other artists' first works like Al Milgrom, Frank Miller, Arthur Suydam, Oliver Coipel, John Buscema. Pick any dozen guys who have been around, worked on a lot of stuff, but never really hit the big time. I can't believe any of them come close to 600 points. I know Frank Miller's first work at Marvel is worth only around 150 points and he is an industry legend. John Byrne's first work on the X-men is worth less than half of what you are asking and that is considered a pivotal moment in BA history.