• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That Professor Miles Warren was a freakin' genuis

32 posts in this topic

I will have to re-read it again soon in my Spidey essentials. I liked it many years ago when I first read it. I have no love for the 90's clone saga!

I recently re-read the Gwen clone saga and it is pure drek. I think what made it most difficult to read is Ross Andru's artwork. I can't stomach it.

I'm really surprised at the amount of positive response to this storyline and now I'm wondering if someone's going to get all nostalgic and start a Spider-mobile appreciation thread. Yeesh!

Say, what a great idea! Got to love the Spider-Mobile! :banana:

Sorry you don't enjoy Ross Andru's work. I look at some of the stuff he did on the Flash and cringe, but I really like his Spider-Man stuff, especially inked by Giacoia (hope I spelled that right).

The story line was much better when I was nine years old for sure, so a lot of fondness for this run is purely nostaglic.

As someone who read it for the first time a few years ago, I too thought it was pretty brilliant and think that Spidey #121-151 is the best 30 issue run I have ever read. The part that sticks out the most to me of that entire saga is in #143 where Peter heads to Europe and kisses MJ for the first time, when they went there seperate ways it's like the tension lifted from the pages.

As for the art, I truly now understand why I'll never be an art conniseur (sic?), Andru's work looks near perfect to me, not Neal Adams perfect but right there with Gil Kanes and Romitas Spidey work. Personally the run looks very consistent for a good 5 year stretch.

Jim

I don't get all the Andru-hate on here, as he is far from the worst artist at Marvel during the 70's, and actually did a great job of giving SPidey a consistent look that didn't burn your eyes like Robbins, Tuska, Heck, Brown, Trimpe, or any of the many hacks working on regular books.

I don't get all the Andru-hate on here, as he is far from the worst artist at Marvel during the 70's, and actually did a great job of giving SPidey a consistent look that didn't burn your eyes like Robbins, Tuska, Heck, Brown, Trimpe, or any of the many hacks working on regular books.

Same here. Maybe it's because my first Spider-Man books had Andru art, but I always thought he was pretty solid. I'm not sure Mike Esposito did Andru any favors either. I think if a Klaus Janson or Joe Rubinstein had finished his pencils, Andru might get more respect.

Not comparing Andru to the others you cited, merely stating my opinion that Andru as a Spidey artist burned my eyes, to use your terminology.

I found his art to be an unwelcomed transition from Romita's smooth, graceful lines and Kane's powerful layouts and pacing. By comparison, Andru was very rough and angular and whereas you use the term consistent, I would label it predictable.

I believe there was a thread not too long ago discussing opinions on Andru's work in general. It would be fun to read again, if I can find it.

Same here. Maybe it's because my first Spider-Man books had Andru art, but I always thought he was pretty solid.

Solid is a great way to describe Andru's work, he's not going to blow you socks off but he won't embarrass you either. Just good, solid work month in and month out, which is probably why he stayed on for so long.

Andru is my fav of all artist's not only because of his talent, but because of his underdog status...

If you read the Spider Webs from this period there were so many write in that talked cash junk

against him and he really pushed out some jewels at this time.

The Jackal, The Tarantula, The Punisher, the Hitman and we'll forgive him for the Rocket Racer

and the Wheel - but it was a decent level of quality.

Andru is my fav of all artist's not only because of his talent, but because of his underdog status...

Ditto. Ross Andru is one of my first creative heroes. The first ASM I ever purchased (and my second comic) was ASM 149. I believe I just turned 7 so I didn't really understand the science behind the 2 spider-mans fighting each other, but I loved that comic so much. Andru's depictions of The Jackal creeped me out too. Especially with those little pupils, big eyes, the claws, and those damned ears!! I don't have to look at the comic (which I haven't looked at in years, if not decades) to picture how creepy Andru portrayed The Jackal.

Looking back at the Andru creative period, there was some terrific story-telling and artwork, especially the Dr. Bart Hamilton story arc around the mid-170s. Remember that cover with the Hitman pointing the barrel of his pistol at JJJ's head with the Punisher and Spidey crashing the window to the rescue? Classic, classic cover.

Geez I am a huge fan of the clone saga and still waiting for them to bring back Ben Reilly the Scarlet Spider.

Edit:

Just did a search and seems there was mention for his return last year.

After the release of Spider-Man: the Clone Saga miniseries, various blogs reviewed the series. Reportedly, Howard Mackie and Tom DeFalco, creators of the miniseries had this to say to a manager of one blog: "Thanks, Brad. I truly appreciate all the kind words, and that Tom gets all the blame for the minor negatives! Tom and I would LOVE to continue with Ben – and have pitched a series – but that is Marvel’s call. Maybe a grassroots movement would help? Thanks again". The blog is "Spider-Man Crawl Space" and news of this quote was posted February 25, 2010.

On July 25, 2010, at the San Diego Comic-con, fans expressed their desire to see a return of Ben Reilly. To this, assistant editor Tom Brennan replied "It's being worked on".

Was the mini from last year the actual way the clone saga was going to play out initially? If so, I dont know which version was worse.

Also, how would they bring him back? Didnt he disintegrate after being impaled by the G Goblin?