• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Female Role Models in Comics

114 posts in this topic

Katy Keene. Betty and Veronica just aren't my idea of "role models" as they both have underlying issues, but Katy is pretty independent and does what she loves to do.

Batgirl. Barbara Gordon or Stephanie Brown.

:eek:

I don't think I knew that...

Betty doesn't have enough self esteem to realize there is more to life then Archie. Veronica is pretty much worthless since she's an heiress, but I prefer her more to Betty.

That's just from a decades worth of observation, though.

Say it ain't so! Betty is loyal, she loves unconditionally. Veronica, is just spoiled and manipulative. Just my 2c

Archie constantly ditches her for Veronica. Betty, while she has dated others, still just wants Archie despite how crummy he treats her. Both girls can do better, IMO.

From a guy viewpoint...they're both hot and underlying issues mean nothing! :grin:

From the standpoint of role models...I wouldn't look to comic books for role models for your children boys or girls. My 2c

it's all in good fun and not rooted in reality which is what my kids know when I read comics to them..."it's all pretend" is what I teach them.

I must agree. I made a flippant post about Cherry, but the truth is I have a 19 month old daughter and would not rely on these books for role models.

Not to say that works of fiction can't produce proper role models, just not this particular medium.

IMHO.

I generally tend this idea as well that finding good role models for young girls seems challenging, but I do believe there are a few out there. Nearmint/Jeff brought up a fantastic suggestion in Thorn and Gran'ma Ben from the Bone series. Both individuals are strong, independent, and are leaders in their community. Smith also avoids presenting them as typical mainstream super heroines in scantily clad outfits--they're brains and character are what give them prominence... not their other *ahem* assets. Good for younger ages.

I'd also suggest the Ultimate Spider-Man series as you find characters such as MJ, Kitty Pryde, and Gwen Stacy who play positive female roles without falling into some of the traditional, visceral mainstream artistic renditions (perseveration on T-n-A, steroid-esque physiques, etc). I'd guess these would be better for tweens/teens.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not so prude as to be against attractive heroines' outfits! lol But, I do think if you're looking for reading material that is appropriate for younger audiences and will make positive talking points between you and your daughters, I'd say little things like this are worth considering. After all, why was there such an uproar about Barbie's dimensions? Because they weren't realistic but it was having an impression on young female minds. I'd just be careful to think about the messages outfits like what Psylocke or Poison Ivy (depending on the artist) wear might communicate.

Katy Keene. Betty and Veronica just aren't my idea of "role models" as they both have underlying issues, but Katy is pretty independent and does what she loves to do.

Betty doesn't have enough self esteem to realize there is more to life then Archie. Veronica is pretty much worthless since she's an heiress, but I prefer her more to Betty.

Say it ain't so! Betty is loyal, she loves unconditionally. Veronica, is just spoiled and manipulative. Just my 2c

Archie constantly ditches her for Veronica. Betty, while she has dated others, still just wants Archie despite how crummy he treats her. Both girls can do better, IMO.

From a guy viewpoint...they're both hot and underlying issues mean nothing! :grin:

From the standpoint of role models...I wouldn't look to comic books for role models for your children boys or girls. My 2c

it's all in good fun and not rooted in reality which is what my kids know when I read comics to them..."it's all pretend" is what I teach them.

I must agree. I made a flippant post about Cherry, but the truth is I have a 19 month old daughter and would not rely on these books for role models.

Not to say that works of fiction can't produce proper role models, just not this particular medium.

IMHO.

I generally tend this idea as well that finding good role models for young girls seems challenging, but I do believe there are a few out there. Nearmint/Jeff brought up a fantastic suggestion in Thorn and Gran'ma Ben from the Bone series. Both individuals are strong, independent, and are leaders in their community. Smith also avoids presenting them as typical mainstream super heroines in scantily clad outfits--they're brains and character are what give them prominence... not their other *ahem* assets. Good for younger ages.

I'd also suggest the Ultimate Spider-Man series as you find characters such as MJ, Kitty Pryde, and Gwen Stacy who play positive female roles without falling into some of the traditional, visceral mainstream artistic renditions (perseveration on T-n-A, steroid-esque physiques, etc). I'd guess these would be better for tweens/teens.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not so prude as to be against attractive heroines' outfits! lol But, I do think if you're looking for reading material that is appropriate for younger audiences and will make positive talking points between you and your daughters, I'd say little things like this are worth considering. After all, why was there such an uproar about Barbie's dimensions? Because they weren't realistic but it was having an impression on young female minds. I'd just be careful to think about the messages outfits like what Psylocke or Poison Ivy (depending on the artist) wear might communicate.

Young kids don't understand dimensions like adults do. It is the adults that complain about her size ratio. Mattel came out with a line called Monster's High and this one mother online critized the entire line as being swallow fashion driven garbage. Kids love the dolls because they are completely articulated and are just fun to play with. Barbie as a character is a very positive role model for kids IMO. You should read the books they put out.

I agree with the outfits though but it each kid will react differently. I remember showing my nieces the Beyonce video for that Ring song after we had seen the Alvin and the Chipmunk movie. You can see by their reaction that they didn't care for it. It think if something has too much of a sexual overtone is where the line is drawn.

IMHO.

Young kids don't understand dimensions like adults do. It is the adults that complain about her size ratio. Mattel came out with a line called Monster's High and this one mother online critized the entire line as being swallow fashion driven garbage. Kids love the dolls because they are completely articulated and are just fun to play with. Barbie as a character is a very positive role model for kids IMO. You should read the books they put out.

I agree with the outfits though but it each kid will react differently. I remember showing my nieces the Beyonce video for that Ring song after we had seen the Alvin and the Chipmunk movie. You can see by their reaction that they didn't care for it. It think if something has too much of a sexual overtone is where the line is drawn.

I would at least say that adults are probably more aware of the subtle nature of the messages communicated by toys, tv, etc, and that's why you wouldn't hear children complain of it--far more self-and-world awareness than most would possess. And as a result of this, I'd agree that many corporations are looking for better ways to market their brand, including Barbie--which you point out. I only mention this as I've done some research in feminist and gender studies with Barbie being a regular subject of analysis and discussion.

A little parental / adult discussion about what kids are into goes a long way. (thumbs u

+1 on the real life role models. But I understand you wanting them to read too. (thumbs u

I definitely agree with MacMan's post above about the characters in BONE. This is a book I'm looking forward to reading with my two kids when they get a little older. This would be my top pick, from one Dad to another. (thumbs u

You can pick up the entire BONE series in one volume. Cover price was $40, but you can sometimes find it cheaper on eBay.

As far as superheros. I'd suggest older issues of Uncanny X-Men. The Claremont run used tons girl characters and treated them as equals. Even though they are older, they can easily be found in trade paperback format.

I'd start with issue #129, which first introduced Kitty Pryde. She quickly becomes the point of view for the story telling. Characters like Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, Kitty, Rogue, and especially Storm are all strong female characters.

Buffy.

^^This.

I tried for years to get my daughter into comics and she never did, with one exception, Buffy. I bought her every Buffy trade printed and she loved them. She was about 14-16 at the time (21 now). At 16 she discovered boys......

Buffy.

^^This.

I tried for years to get my daughter into comics and she never did, with one exception, Buffy. I bought her every Buffy trade printed and she loved them. She was about 14-16 at the time (21 now). At 16 she discovered boys......

I taught 16 year olds for a few years and you have my sympathy. :foryou:

IMHO.

I would at least say that adults are probably more aware of the subtle nature of the messages communicated by toys, tv, etc, and that's why you wouldn't hear children complain of it--far more self-and-world awareness than most would possess. And as a result of this, I'd agree that many corporations are looking for better ways to market their brand, including Barbie--which you point out. I only mention this as I've done some research in feminist and gender studies with Barbie being a regular subject of analysis and discussion.

A little parental / adult discussion about what kids are into goes a long way. (thumbs u

I understand where you are coming from and to me it is so narrow-minded for the usage of a doll to make a feminist point. I am not saying that is what you are doing but when these studies come up it normally is mentioned. I too have taken feminist class and my professor was astute enough to bypass those silly sterotypes and confront real issues woman face. Again not a dig at you.

I'd start with issue #129, which first introduced Kitty Pryde. She quickly becomes the point of view for the story telling. Characters like Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, Kitty, Rogue, and especially Storm are all strong female characters.

Agree 100%! X-Men #129-200 (or thereabouts) from the 1980s is a fantastic run, and will introduce them to lots of strong, complex and nuanced female characters. The evolution of the relationship between Storm and Kitty is particularly well-drawn (see issue #180, among others).

I'd recommend New Teen Titans #1-50 from the early 1980s as well, for similar reasons. Lots of well-written female characters, and the series is easily found on the cheap.

Not sure of the ages of your daughters, but both of these series made a great impression on me as a kid.

IMHO.

I understand where you are coming from and to me it is so narrow-minded for the usage of a doll to make a feminist point. I am not saying that is what you are doing but when these studies come up it normally is mentioned. I too have taken feminist class and my professor was astute enough to bypass those silly sterotypes and confront real issues woman face. Again not a dig at you.

No offense taken as I only see toys as a single point of consideration--not necessarily invalid but only one piece of a greater picture. As you point out, it'd be narrow-minded to scape goat one particular thing when there are so many other influences out there. (thumbs u

But I do think the Byrne-Claremont arc on Kitty Pryde and her introduction to the X-Men would make for some solid reading material, particularly if the OP's kids are in their early teens years as it deals with the whole "where do I fit in?" line of questioning. Definitely worth looking into as they're often in reprint for very little coin.

Aside from Wonder Woman, who would you recommend as a positive role model for girls? Serious answers, thanks, I have 3 girls at home who are interested in comics..

Little Lulu. No matter what their age, 6 or 60, my recommendation would be the same. The John Stanley stories are brilliant and there's loads of TPBs available.

600 pages b&w

http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Size-Little-Lulu-1/dp/1595825029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296261334&sr=8-1

Full color

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Lulu-Alamo-Other-Stories/dp/1595822933/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1296261334&sr=8-11

Akiko

Scary Godmother

Leave it to Chance

Amelia Rules

Courageous Princess

Wendy the Good Little Witch

Little Dot

Girl Genius

Zot (Jenny and Zot are the lead characters)

Golden Age: Black Canary available in a DC Archive

Silver Age: Zatanna

Little Lulu. No matter what their age, 6 or 60, my recommendation would be the same. The John Stanley stories are brilliant and there's loads of TPBs available.

600 pages b&w

http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Size-Little-Lulu-1/dp/1595825029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296261334&sr=8-1

Full color

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Lulu-Alamo-Other-Stories/dp/1595822933/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1296261334&sr=8-11

I'd choose either of these two over Little Lulu:

3-1.jpg

58-1.jpg

:popcorn: