• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Female Role Models in Comics

114 posts in this topic

Meridian by CrossGen has a young female lead and my wife suggets the 1st Aliens Vs Predator series that has a strong female lead.

If you want to get them hooked my daughter used to read the Archie digests and giggle for hours. I buy them by the boxful just to listen to her giggling

they are 8, 8 and 10.. I am trying to get them into super hero books. they like Disney and Heathcliff at the moment.. As for those who say that comic heroes are bad role models, I am not shooting for comic role models for my kids. just curious as to what folks recommend, they like Nancy Drew and detective stories too..

You know, I have to go with Invisible Woman as far and away the best female role model. Extremely intelligent, strong personality, good moral values, non overly exploitative costume. I especially liked her in Civil War.

501406-invisible_woman_steve_mcniven08_super.jpg

(thumbs u

Aside from Wonder Woman, who would you recommend as a positive role model for girls? Serious answers, thanks, I have 3 girls at home who are interested in comics..

Seriously, don't pick role models from comic books. The characters are only as consistent as the person writing them.

Generally speaking, female characters in comics don't wear many clothes, are unusually busty, and have questionable morals.

I am not saying don't let them read comics, just use some judgement.

Aside from Wonder Woman, who would you recommend as a positive role model for girls? Serious answers, thanks, I have 3 girls at home who are interested in comics..

Seriously, don't pick role models from comic books. The characters are only as consistent as the person writing them.

Generally speaking, female characters in comics don't wear many clothes, are unusually busty, and have questionable morals.

Why can't real life be like that and not cost any money :insane:

Why can't real life be like that and not cost any money :insane:

lol

You know, I have to go with Invisible Woman as far and away the best female role model. Extremely intelligent, strong personality, good moral values, non overly exploitative costume. I especially liked her in Civil War.

501406-invisible_woman_steve_mcniven08_super.jpg

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

they are 8, 8 and 10.. I am trying to get them into super hero books. they like Disney and Heathcliff at the moment.. As for those who say that comic heroes are bad role models, I am not shooting for comic role models for my kids. just curious as to what folks recommend, they like Nancy Drew and detective stories too..

I have 3 nieces that I have been supplying comics to starting when they were in elementary school. The items I list below are all ones that they enjoyed that featured strong female characters.

Scary Godmother

Leave it to Chance

Amelia Rules

Courageous Princess

Wendy the Good Little Witch

Little Dot

Girl Genius

Zot (Jenny and Zot are the lead characters)

Golden Age: Black Canary available in a DC Archive

Silver Age: Zatanna

Courtney Crumrin

Amulet Series by Kazu Kibuishi (sister & brother are the lead characters)

Castle Waiting

I didn't really worry specifically about female superheros. My goal was to supply a variety of solid age-appropriate comics and get more based on feedback. I also got them quite a few other comics that they enjoyed including:

Tintin

Asterix

Silver Age: Flash

Carl Barks Duck books

Of all that I've given them I think the Duck books and Little Lulu received the most interest.

Okay, speaking of Sue Storm-Richards, I happen to be reading the X-Men First Class TPB Mutant Madness and the first story happens to be about Sue taking on the role of mentor to a young Jean Grey (Marvel Girl).

If people only know Jean Grey from the X-Men films, they may not realize that she is a teenager (first year of college). Sue is, of course, a grown woman. Sue is an excellent role-model and mentor in the story.

sue_and_jean.jpg