• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

I could never part with my complete silver age runs. They're why I collect. That cohesive Marvel Universe has me constantly referring to different books, and for me reprints do not work.

I'd love to own a Captain America #1 someday, but no Grail can ever approach FF#1, and it's snug in its mylar. So I know that getting a Cap 1 won't do for me what having my full collection does.

Is that yours? It's a gorgeous looking copy.

R.

lol I wish! This one was in the Clink auction. I thought it was gorgeous too and just wanted to see what people thought of the sale. I thought it was a fair price for the book.

Though I posted it in somewhat flip fashion, that ASM #1 was a long time in the making. I put together a nice HG run of ASM over the course of several years. I sold off most of the later issues to buy other books + then traded like 18 of the remaining books + some cash for this book. That was 2 years ago. In the last year I sold off many of my STs to buy a nice JIM #83. So, put together a nice run of books over several years, enjoy them + share them with friends, get a little bored, and then sell them all(or keep a few) for one fat book!! That's what's worked for me + you'll probably see me do it again!! ;)

This is the exact idea I've have been struggling with for some time now. Even though my books aren't too high grade and is generally small by most comparisons around here, I've been tempting myself with the thoughts of selling my whole collection, maybe adding a little bit and trying to get a nice higher grade ASM #1 or a "somewhat higher than low-grade" AF #15.

I do enjoy owning my books and all those villains on the covers, but I would really like to own one of those big keys at some point. Beyond fairly low grades (and I'm not even really sure if that would satisfy me once I had it), I don't think I'd be able to manage the cash to purchase one. Ultimately, my decision is still up in the air and I am still enjoying hunting for the other books I need for my collection. A couple questions though . . .

Do you ever miss having your old collection vs. the one "big" book? To everyone else, if you were to consider the same scenario, would you sell your "ASM" run (or fill in the blank) to buy that single mega key as a representation of what you had?

I just sold 80% of my books to do exactly what you are talking about. I miss them for sure. When the auction was running, I actually wanted to bid on some. Not to shill bid but to actually win the book. When I accquire the grails (the two which shall remain nameless), I think i will be extremely happy. I'll let you know if five years how it works out.

I'm just completely on the fence still. I think more one way or the other every now and then. I meant to keep my collection fairly small; there are only about 3 or 4 more I would really like to have, but the draw to buy a nice looking AF #15 or even a ASM #1 is becoming overwhelming. I just don't know how I'd feel unloading most if not all my books for it.

What started changing things for me is when I bought a nice big poster of AF #15 off Amazon the end of last year. I always had mixed thoughts on wanting to own an AF #15, ultimately figuring it was a grail I could never own a copy in a condition I'd like to have. But seeing that poster everyday for the last year or so, has really made me like it more and more, both the actual cover and importance of it. It has also made me more interested in perhaps a higher, nicer looking copy of ASM #1 instead. It's just the idea of having a copy of one of those books that started it all.

To add a little urgency, with the prices on these 2 books continuing to steadily climb, I'm starting to think I need to decide soon or the decision will be made for me as the prices will just be too high. Of course its a personal thing and I'm sure people have many opinions on it. Just was interested to hear from people who made a decent sacrifice to get one of these coveted books, and if they'd still do it in a heartbeat or not.

I'm just completely on the fence still. I think more one way or the other every now and then. I meant to keep my collection fairly small; there are only about 3 or 4 more I would really like to have, but the draw to buy a nice looking AF #15 or even a ASM #1 is becoming overwhelming. I just don't know how I'd feel unloading most if not all my books for it.

What started changing things for me is when I bought a nice big poster of AF #15 off Amazon the end of last year. I always had mixed thoughts on wanting to own an AF #15, ultimately figuring it was a grail I could never own a copy in a condition I'd like to have. But seeing that poster everyday for the last year or so, has really made me like it more and more, both the actual cover and importance of it. It has also made me more interested in perhaps a higher, nicer looking copy of ASM #1 instead. It's just the idea of having a copy of one of those books that started it all.

To add a little urgency, with the prices on these 2 books continuing to steadily climb, I'm starting to think I need to decide soon or the decision will be made for me as the prices will just be too high. Of course its a personal thing and I'm sure people have many opinions on it. Just was interested to hear from people who made a decent sacrifice to get one of these coveted books, and if they'd still do it in a heartbeat or not.

Judging by the books in your sig line (they're awesome, btw), we have similar collecting tastes. I started buying ASM slabs several years ago, and ended up with a really nice collection of 9.0-9.4 Spideys (a couple 9.6s too). The biggest book I owned was an ASM 14 in 9.4; the rest were mostly from 39-100. I sold my entire collection to a friend for a nice tidy profit, and I'm glad I did, as many of those books are cheaper now then when I bought them.

Like you, I also don't intend to ever have a really big collection. When I get back into buying, the first books I will pursue will be a nice AF 15 and ASM 1. Part of my rationale for selling was that I didn't see a point in having these really nice, expensive high grade ASMs without owning the two most important books to an ASM fan. I also didn't see the point of having an ASM 14 in 9.4, while owning beat-up copies of the big two. This is particularly true if you aren't trying to put together complete runs, which it appears you aren't.

So, my point is, I would sell the books and start a war chest. The books in your sig, while really nice, will always be available, and after they're gone you'll realize it wasn't such a huge sacrifice at all. In my opinion, living without nice mid-run spideys for a few years is better than holding them while the big books get further and further out of reach.

But that's just me. (shrug)

Though I posted it in somewhat flip fashion, that ASM #1 was a long time in the making. I put together a nice HG run of ASM over the course of several years. I sold off most of the later issues to buy other books + then traded like 18 of the remaining books + some cash for this book. That was 2 years ago. In the last year I sold off many of my STs to buy a nice JIM #83. So, put together a nice run of books over several years, enjoy them + share them with friends, get a little bored, and then sell them all(or keep a few) for one fat book!! That's what's worked for me + you'll probably see me do it again!! ;)

This is the exact idea I've have been struggling with for some time now. Even though my books aren't too high grade and is generally small by most comparisons around here, I've been tempting myself with the thoughts of selling my whole collection, maybe adding a little bit and trying to get a nice higher grade ASM #1 or a "somewhat higher than low-grade" AF #15.

I do enjoy owning my books and all those villains on the covers, but I would really like to own one of those big keys at some point. Beyond fairly low grades (and I'm not even really sure if that would satisfy me once I had it), I don't think I'd be able to manage the cash to purchase one. Ultimately, my decision is still up in the air and I am still enjoying hunting for the other books I need for my collection. A couple questions though . . .

Do you ever miss having your old collection vs. the one "big" book? To everyone else, if you were to consider the same scenario, would you sell your "ASM" run (or fill in the blank) to buy that single mega key as a representation of what you had?

I just sold 80% of my books to do exactly what you are talking about. I miss them for sure. When the auction was running, I actually wanted to bid on some. Not to shill bid but to actually win the book. When I accquire the grails (the two which shall remain nameless), I think i will be extremely happy. I'll let you know if five years how it works out.

Not to make the same mistakes I (and many other collectors commonly made), go ahead and get the AF15 (save, sell or whatever plan you have), and NOT the ASM1 or other anciallary books to satisfy your temporary urge.

Over time, you will be glad you did. You can always start with a nice 4 or 5 #15 and upgrade it over time. (thumbs u

Not to make the same mistakes I (and many other collectors commonly made), go ahead and get the AF15 (save, sell or whatever plan you have), and NOT the ASM1 or other anciallary books to satisfy your temporary urge.

Over time, you will be glad you did. You can always start with a nice 4 or 5 #15 and upgrade it over time. (thumbs u

Great advice,,.I made a mistake an bought a AMS1 5.5 in early 1990"s and with the same dough it could have landed me a nice AF15. doh!

Great advice,,.I made a mistake an bought a AMS1 5.5 in early 1990"s and with the same dough it could have landed me a nice AF15. doh!

Yeah, between the #15 and the #1 you need to buy the #15. I have owned my copy of #1 for 21 years and it didn't come close to satisfying the urge that finally getting my #15 did. #1 is a great book, but it doesn't really hold a candle to the #15 if you are a Spidey fan.

. . . Part of my rationale for selling was that I didn't see a point in having these really nice, expensive high grade ASMs without owning the two most important books to an ASM fan. I also didn't see the point of having an ASM 14 in 9.4, while owning beat-up copies of the big two. This is particularly true if you aren't trying to put together complete runs, which it appears you aren't.

So, my point is, I would sell the books and start a war chest. The books in your sig, while really nice, will always be available, and after they're gone you'll realize it wasn't such a huge sacrifice at all. In my opinion, living without nice mid-run spideys for a few years is better than holding them while the big books get further and further out of reach.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think you hit the nail on the head and it was exactly what I needed to hear to give me a bit more confidence in what I was contemplating. Though I don't know what may really happen over time, I figured that if I do complete my collection, it would never be able to include either of those. That's one thing I was definitely feeling lately . . . though my collection would be small and fairly nice/higher grade, it was always going to miss the 2 biggest/most important books of my favorite character.

There also IS a possibility of building up my collection, in some form, at some later point in time, but virtually no chance again of owning an AF #15 or ASM #1 at some later point in time.

So, I'm thinkin' I've got to get my house in order here and maybe wait 'til after the big auctions close . . . but then I think it's gonna be a trip to the "For Sale" threads. :wishluck: I just hope I don't freak out somewhere along the line. :eek:

. . . Part of my rationale for selling was that I didn't see a point in having these really nice, expensive high grade ASMs without owning the two most important books to an ASM fan. I also didn't see the point of having an ASM 14 in 9.4, while owning beat-up copies of the big two. This is particularly true if you aren't trying to put together complete runs, which it appears you aren't.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think you hit the nail on the head and it was exactly what I needed to hear to give me a bit more confidence in what I was contemplating. Though I don't know what may really happen over time, I figured that if I do complete my collection, it would never be able to include either of those. That's one thing I was definitely feeling lately . . . though my collection would be small and fairly nice/higher grade, it was always going to miss the 2 biggest/most important books of my favorite character.

There also IS a possibility of building up my collection, in some form, at some later point in time, but virtually no chance again of owning an AF #15 or ASM #1 at some later point in time.

So, I'm thinkin' I've got to get my house in order here and maybe wait 'til after the big auctions close . . . but then I think it's gonna be a trip to the "For Sale" threads. :wishluck: I just hope I don't freak out somewhere along the line. :eek:

Don't wait yourself right out of the market.

In my case no, I'm glad I made the sale/trade. I loved putting the run together + enjoyed each issue, some more than others. When the time came, I was ready to make the trade + had no reservations about it. I can understand your trepidation and concern. This might not be the time yet for you. If there's alot of angst then wait. Keep working on the collection. Ultimately you have to be happy with your decision. You can always change your mind down the road. 2c