• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

It occurred to me that this is about the only SA Marvel key without a club, and a search of the Silver room didn't turn one up. It is about time we start one!

Here is my ticket for entry. I bought the book for $80 back in about 1988 with funds from my first real summer job. I got it graded in my first coupon submission, and was quite happy with the grade it got. A very clean lower grade copy with just the top 2 or so inches of the spine as a problem area.

ASM01CGC.jpg

Show 'em if you got 'em!

It occurred to me that this is about the only SA Marvel key without a club, and a search of the Silver room didn't turn one up. It is about time we start one!

Here is my ticket for entry. I bought the book for $80 back in about 1988 with funds from my first real summer job. I got it graded in my first coupon submission, and was quite happy with the grade it got. A very clean lower grade copy with just the top 2 or so inches of the spine as a problem area. I do need to clean up the scan though.

ASM01CGC.jpg

Show 'em if you got 'em!

That's a great looking 3.0. :applause: That's an awesome deal for the fruit of your labor. ;) Now, I just have to have my copy scan here.

amazingspiderman1.jpg[/img]

Here is my copy. :headbang:

That's a nice 2.5! Is there something on the back cover or interior that knocked it down so far? The eye appeal is definitely better than most 2.5s you see. I love low grade books with a ton of eye appeal. They are great value for a collector, especially in the high caliber books like this. I'd rather own a really pretty 2.5-3.0 ASM #1 or any other key for the price than a 6.0-7.0 that costs 10x as much with not that much of a differences in looks in some cases. Does that mean I don't hope to upgrade my copy some day, of course not! But I do have a lot of love for gorgeous low grade examples.

Hi, Thanks! I am a huge fan of lower grade books with nice eye appeal. I cant afford to buy the books I want in even mid, much less high grade. hahaha. I would much rather have low grade copies of books I have wanted since childhood! The Amazing #1 I bought years back and submitted myself. That copy has a weird discoloration thing going on on the upper front cover. In hand I was thinking it was around a 3.5...maybe the discoloration thing knocked it down. I had never seen something like that on a comic before.

Those are both nice damn 6.0's!

Congrats to both of you guys! (worship)

I'd love a nice ASM1 in my collection but like the Hulk1 club, not one I'm going to be a member of anytime soon :(

If you'd stop buying up all those HG X-mens and later Spideys and pooled your money you could get a #1 in no time! Nobody with that sig line can argue they can't afford to get into this club! :baiting:

I never said I couldnt afford to, it's just not in the cards for me. I have two things working against me getting either book...

A) I like HG books. 8.0-8.5 is pretty much my Mendoza line for books unless they just are not available in that grade. I've tried but just can't convince myself to spend big bucks on lower grades, I wish I could but it just isn't what I like.

B) it's stupid as hell but I like getting LOTS of books. I always have and probably always will. Maybe it's because my runs have so many holes in them but I LOVE getting a big box of 20-30 books from the auctions. Again, I've tried to get just ONE big book and just can't do it. I always end up getting a big stack of $100-300 books (shrug)

And just for the record, it's Avengers Ive been blowing my money on not ASM's or X-men for the most part lol