• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

That's one monster copy! :applause: How about we name fantastic_four the chairman of this club.

I nominate Ghost_Town, this is his:

437645_Full_Obv.jpg

Chair and Co-Chair then. :sumo:

Incredible. Amazing. It's a joy to just gaze at these scans. :cloud9:

Thanks for sharing. :hail:

Ghost Town is like Chairman Emeritus. Founder, Deep Pockets, Been there done that, a good name to throw around, and usually not present day to day.

But he is always lurking, looking for a good moment to post.

I gotta say - the 9.0 looks alot better to me than that 9.4... (shrug)

You have to wonder if it would score as high on a resub hm

What defects do you see on the 9.4? I can't see any visible just from the scan.

If you look at the lower-right corner of the 9.0, there is an extremely light corner crease--so light it's barely visible at all, clearly that corner wasn't folded completely over, just lightly bent by 10 to 30 degrees so that a few flakes of color came off I'm guessing. I called before I bought it and the three grades are 8.5, 9.0, and 9.0.

I gotta say - the 9.0 looks alot better to me than that 9.4... (shrug)

You have to wonder if it would score as high on a resub hm

What defects do you see on the 9.4? I can't see any visible just from the scan.

If you look at the lower-right corner of the 9.0, there is an extremely light corner crease--so light it's barely visible at all, clearly that corner wasn't folded completely over, just lightly bent by 10 to 30 degrees so that a few flakes of color came off I'm guessing. I called before I bought it and the three grades are 8.5, 9.0, and 9.0.

1st off - they both look great - but the 9.4 has a nasty yellow hallow about 2" from the top and the green in "the chamelon strikes" is inconsistant w/ the green on the rest of the cover. The centering is also much better on the 9.0.

The corners may be sharper but beyond that - I think I would save my 50K+ and go with the 9.0.

1st off - they both look great - but the 9.4 has a nasty yellow hallow about 2" from the top and the green in "the chamelon strikes" is inconsistant w/ the green on the rest of the cover.

I wasn't sure the discoloration in that bottom banner was actually on the book, but yea, I know what you mean about the yellowing in the light blue, a LOT of Spidey #1s have that. I passed on a bunch of high grade copies due to that; something about the yellow mixed with that light blue makes it stand out more than on many other books. That was a reason I jumped on my copy, the light blue coloring seems uniform throughout. Having said that, it gets a lot worse than is present on the copy in question, there are quite a few copies where the light blue is completely washed out by acidity.

1st off - they both look great - but the 9.4 has a nasty yellow hallow about 2" from the top and the green in "the chamelon strikes" is inconsistant w/ the green on the rest of the cover.

I wasn't sure the discoloration in that bottom banner was actually on the book, but yea, I know what you mean about the yellowing in the light blue, a LOT of Spidey #1s have that. I passed on a bunch of high grade copies due to that; something about the yellow mixed with that light blue makes it stand out more than on many other books. That was a reason I jumped on my copy, the light blue coloring seems uniform throughout. Having said that, it gets a lot worse than is present on the copy in question, there are quite a few copies where the light blue is completely washed out by acidity.

Hmm. I'm pretty sensitive to books with halos and I never even thought about it with this book. I guess there is an incredibly faint halo that, in hand, you can only see from a particular angle. But it does sort of show up in a scan. Darn it. I guess I need an upgrade.

ASM1.jpg

Hmm. I'm pretty sensitive to books with halos and I never even thought about it with this book. I guess there is an incredibly faint halo that, in hand, you can only see from a particular angle. But it does sort of show up in a scan. Darn it. I guess I need an upgrade.ASM1.jpg

Yes, get that piece of sh*t out of here!!! :frustrated:

doh!

Hmm. I'm pretty sensitive to books with halos and I never even thought about it with this book. I guess there is an incredibly faint halo that, in hand, you can only see from a particular angle. But it does sort of show up in a scan. Darn it. I guess I need an upgrade.ASM1.jpg

Yes, get that piece of sh*t out of here!!! :frustrated:

doh!

+1

:jokealert:

Hmm. I'm pretty sensitive to books with halos and I never even thought about it with this book. I guess there is an incredibly faint halo that, in hand, you can only see from a particular angle. But it does sort of show up in a scan. Darn it. I guess I need an upgrade.

ASM1.jpg

Man, I've heard of an undercopy, but this is getting insane. :lol:

Beautiful book.

Time to resurrect this thread in honor of last night's Clink results. I thought that the 3 copies of ASM #1 did nicely, but was particularly surprised by the price realized for the 2.0. I thought it was high ($1850) relative to the 6.0 ($4700) and the very nice 7.0 ($8099). I had pegged the 7.0 as going a bit higher, but seeing the 2.0 fetch such a strong price was unexpected. I often pay more attention to the lower graded copies of keys because that is more my speed, and to see a 2.0 fetch 40% of the 6.0 price seemed high to me. On AF #15 you routinely see 2.0s doing less than 10% of the 6.0 price, for example. Avengers #1 is more like 20% in my experience. Thoughts?

Time to resurrect this thread in honor of last night's Clink results. I thought that the 3 copies of ASM #1 did nicely, but was particularly surprised by the price realized for the 2.0. I thought it was high ($1850) relative to the 6.0 ($4700) and the very nice 7.0 ($8099). I had pegged the 7.0 as going a bit higher, but seeing the 2.0 fetch such a strong price was unexpected. I often pay more attention to the lower graded copies of keys because that is more my speed, and to see a 2.0 fetch 40% of the 6.0 price seemed high to me. On AF #15 you routinely see 2.0s doing less than 10% of the 6.0 price, for example. Avengers #1 is more like 20% in my experience. Thoughts?

hm I don't think there's a correlation between a low grade and high grade book? Maybe someone just felt like getting an ASM #1 and the 2.0 was just within his budget. It could just be an anomaly..

hm I don't think there's a correlation between a low grade and high grade book? Maybe someone just felt like getting an ASM #1 and the 2.0 was just within his budget. It could just be an anomaly..

Perhaps, but I have seen 3.0 copies sell for just about that type of money. There is always some sort of multiple that determines prices between the grades, and the multiples in last nights auctions on the ASM #1s were anomalous IMHO.