• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

You know, being a ten year old in 1963 produced some great memories. The silver age comics hitting their stride, is one for sure. I was not a Marvel zombie at that time. My favorites were Marvel though, but Batman and the Flash were favorites also. Didn't care too much for Superman. Wouldn't even think of spending money on a woman superhero such as Wonder Woman or Supergirl.

Spiderman was #1 in my fantasies and reading at that time. Liked Batman also, but Spidey was more "real". Batman was kinda corny and I thought that Robin was gay, but still a big part of my young life at the time.

Even though I didn't care much for Superman, I still do remember pinning a bath towel around my neck (like a cape) and pretending to be him as I was going down hill on my bicycle.

I remember constantly trading comics with two other kids in my neighborhood. A Spidey #1 for a Hulk #1 and a FF #1. I remember that Marvels were usually worth (in trading) several DC's. Things like that. Unfortunaly I also remember folding my comics and putting them in my back pocket as I went here and there.

When I shipped off to the Marines I just totally forgot about comics. Eight years later, I returned and my favorite aunt says to me one day, "Hey, I have a cardboard box with a bunch of comic books that you had as a kid. It was in your grandma's attic", (my grandparents raised me). I said "no kidding. I want them".

I got them and just put them in my closet, still in the old cardboard box. The books were stacked on top of each other, unbagged and unboarded.

Then the next year (1981) I became a cop and my new partner was constantly reading comic books and we talked about them a lot as we drove around patrolling. I wasn't reading them anymore but I went with him to a local LCS and saw a price guide. I bought one and went through my old comics and decided that I had made some money with those old things.

So I started buying old comics for investment in the early to mid 80's, everytime he and I would stop at the local LCS to get "this weeks new comics" that he was reading. Then in the 90's, I started buying three of every book that came out, paying attention to condition. (sound familiar?)

That was basically the wrong thing to do. I should have stuck with just buying the older stuff. I was buying most of my books from either Northcoast Nostalgia, Collectors Corner or Larrys Comics. All in Parma, Ohio. They were within six blocks of each other. Three LCS's within 6 blocks! It was sweet.

I just wish I would have stuck with the buying of just old books, instead of speculating on the new stuff. Most of that stuff is just junk and not worth much. :(

I did buy fifteen copies of ASM #300 new, and a dozen copies of Killing Joke new. I even made sure to buy ten copies of each additional printing of The Killing Joke. They had different color covers.

I also started going to conventions in the early 80's. There were several in the Cleveland area, usually in a Holiday Inn. Some real small and some so-so. I eventually made it to Mid Ohio Con and met John Byrne, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee. I had books signed by all three (individually). I attended the big Superman 50th anniversary comic book convention that was held at the Convention Center in downtown Cleveland (birthplace of Superman). At that convention I personally witnessed one oriental fellow buy four copies of Superman #1, with cash he had in a briefcase. I don't know how much he actually paid but the asking prices on the books were twenty and fifteen thousand each. All bought from one dealer. Maybe that dealer is here on the boards?

Yep. I know that this is the age of electronics and wondrous technology. But in those simpler days, life was good. Only three TV channels. No cell phones. A boy and his bike, with comic books in his back pocket and a baseball card clicking on the spokes of his bike wheel.

Sweet memories. That is why I still collect comic books.

Sweet. :golfclap:

Nice 6.5! Too bad you don't have a picture of the signature. Or do you?

If I had something like that with Kirby's sig, I was wondering if I could crack it out in front of CGC, take a picture and get it reholdered at that point. hm

would they do that without wanting a re-sub?

If I had something like that with Kirby's sig, I was wondering if I could crack it out in front of CGC, take a picture and get it reholdered at that point. hm

would they do that without wanting a re-sub?

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to potentially lose $$ just to crack it open. I'm not generally one of the lucky few that gets grade bumps on resubs.

It isn't in a yellow label, so cracking it out in front of a certified witness wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't lose the notation unless CGC has changed their policy on label notes (I'm unclear on this point). I do know that if they actually put "Jack Kirby" as opposed to "name" written on 1st page that means that in their opinion it is a legitimate signature. If it were me I wouldn't crack it out. You get the old label premium AND the notation on the label, so you really can't improve on that too much IMHO.

It isn't in a yellow label, so cracking it out in front of a certified witness wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't lose the notation unless CGC has changed their policy on label notes (I'm unclear on this point). I do know that if they actually put "Jack Kirby" as opposed to "name" written on 1st page that means that in their opinion it is a legitimate signature. If it were me I wouldn't crack it out. You get the old label premium AND the notation on the label, so you really can't improve on that too much IMHO.

The problem is that I also get the old label headaches. It was one of the first books graded from what I can tell, since it was graded in June of 2000 so the inner well is not as tight as the newer ones are and the book is very susceptible to SCS and over the years the slab has a very slight bowing due to gravity and improper vertical storage (my guess is that it was in a box where it was not standing vertical all the time so it was kind of laying at an angle for a while).

The problem is that I also get the old label headaches. It was one of the first books graded from what I can tell, since it was graded in June of 2000 so the inner well is not as tight as the newer ones are and the book is very susceptible to SCS and over the years the slab has a very slight bowing due to gravity and improper vertical storage (my guess is that it was in a box where it was not standing vertical all the time so it was kind of laying at an angle for a while).

Well, if the inner well "slop" is a concern for you, I would ask CGC if they will let you crack it out in front of them and take the picture of the inside signature before submission for a re-holder. Hopefully, they will say yes. Then you get the benefits of a new holder, a picture of the Kirby sig, and no chance of getting down-graded. :idea:

Well, if the inner well "slop" is a concern for you, I would ask CGC if they will let you crack it out in front of them and take the picture of the inside signature before submission for a re-holder. Hopefully, they will say yes. Then you get the benefits of a new holder, a picture of the Kirby sig, and no chance of getting down-graded. :idea:

Does anyone know if CGC would reholder with the old label in a new slab at your request? Like if you took it to a con where they were doing onsite grading? I have a few slabs that I would consider reholders on but I don't want to give up the old label. In the two instances where I have had to reholder old books they switched them to the new label style (luckily with no downgrades). I doubt they would (CGC seems to regret the original label style) but I thought I would ask if anyone has done this or knows if you can.

Does anyone know if CGC would reholder with the old label in a new slab at your request? Like if you took it to a con where they were doing onsite grading? I have a few slabs that I would consider reholders on but I don't want to give up the old label. In the two instances where I have had to reholder old books they switched them to the new label style (luckily with no downgrades). I doubt they would (CGC seems to regret the original label style) but I thought I would ask if anyone has done this or knows if you can.

I think they would change the label each and every time because I think the new label has some additional anti tampering features. Here's one of the security features that the new label has:

DSC01586.jpg

Then under a black light:

DSC01585.jpg

This is mine, although I always think of this as Amazing Spider-Man #2 as opposed to #1. It's an old-label book in terms of grading, someone just reholdered it somewhere in the 2005 to 2007 timeframe; I picked it up in 2009.

Spidey1.jpg

This is mine, although I always think of this as Amazing Spider-Man #2 as opposed to #1. It's an old-label book in terms of grading, someone just reholdered it somewhere in the 2005 to 2007 timeframe; I picked it up in 2009.

Spidey1.jpg

That's one monster copy! :applause: How about we name fantastic_four the chairman of this club.