• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Steve Borock Interview

44 posts in this topic

Pressing is artificial.

So is sealing reading material into a permanent plastic casing.

:whistle:

When I joined the boards in '03 nobody from CGC came on here and said that pressing wasn't restoration - people just claimed to hate it. Now it's cool, and I'm all for it, because folks are making more money off of it.

Dan

Pressing is artificial.

So is sealing reading material into a permanent plastic casing.

:whistle:

Shill accounts are artificial. 2c

Aw, c'mon. I went 10 whole posts before I took a jab. If that's not the patience of a saint, I don't know what is! :)

Besides... I've been in this since '84... you're ALL newbies to me!

Jab? ...JAB! You call THAT a jab, sonny! :kidaround:

'84...! Balderdash! Hurrumph. ...young whippersnappers. And by the way, I like shills. Why, back in my day I even bought comics from Howard & Gail Rogofsky ads. :preach:

'84...! Balderdash! Hurrumph. ...young whippersnappers. And by the way, I like shills. Why, back in my day I even bought comics from Howard & Gail Rogofsky ads. :preach:

True. It was just a (weak?) joke... no agenda intended (at least not at this point!). But I do find collectibles and the psychology of collecting fascinating. I'm fairly well versed in the rare book, pulp and comics markets, and to a lesser extent movie posters. All have markedly different sets of collectors and varying standards.

BTW, I'm newbie enough around these parts that I'm a bit confused on exactly what the word "shill" means in the context of these boards... it seems to take on different meanings at different times. There's a part of me that thinks, to paraphrase "Princess Bride", that the word may not mean what some of you think it means!

True. It was just a (weak?) joke... no agenda intended (at least not at this point!). But I do find collectibles and the psychology of collecting fascinating. I'm fairly well versed in the rare book, pulp and comics markets, and to a lesser extent movie posters. All have markedly different sets of collectors and varying standards.

BTW, I'm newbie enough around these parts that I'm a bit confused on exactly what the word "shill" means in the context of these boards... it seems to take on different meanings at different times. There's a part of me that thinks, to paraphrase "Princess Bride", that the word may not mean what some of you think it means!

A shill is a formally banned member returning under a different user id.

Really? I've been here awhile now and that wasn't my understanding. I thought a shill was simply someone trying to hawk books or other collectibles, possibly in the wrong location; the banning aspect wasn't even on my radar.

Maybe we need a glossary of *hip* board lingo to avoid confusion. hm

Thanks, Comicdonna. That's what I would have assumed as well. But reading various threads the past couple of months, it seems that some use the term to refer to virtually any newbie, and others designate anyone who says something controversial as a "shill". Or so it seems anyway.

And no, I'm not a shill. First time here, but long time in the business. I don't even understand the "shill" psychology-- why keep coming back somewhere you're not wanted? Don't worry, gang... you ban me, I'm gone for good! (However, I'm not in the habit of showing such bad form as to necessitate such action, and have never been banned from anything, so I wouldn't expect it will be an issue). :)

Really? I've been here awhile now and that wasn't my understanding. I thought a shill was simply someone trying to hawk books or other collectibles, possibly in the wrong location; the banning aspect wasn't even on my radar.

That's the forum lingo on here. In the outside world shill means exactly what you think it does.

(thumbs u

That's the forum lingo on here. In the outside world shill means exactly what you think it does.

(thumbs u

I will also add, that a shill doesn't have to be a banned member. Sometimes people create a shill account to express opinions they normally wouldn't do with their real board user id.

Sorry about the tease; folks around here probably don't know how to read me yet either. At least let me welcome you to the board (especially since you're apparently more newbie than I). :grin:

Sorry about the tease; folks around here probably don't know how to read me yet either. At least let me welcome you to the board (especially since you're apparently more newbie than I). :grin:

Anybody that looks like Lemmie gets instant respect.

lol

(thumbs u

I will also add, that a shill doesn't have to be a banned member. Sometimes people create a shill account to express opinions they normally wouldn't do with their real board user id.

Now that gets closer to my concept of a shill. Roy is right, though; in the mundane world shill has a very specific meaning.

Ain't communication grand! :whee:

EG: What is your personal opinion about pressing a comic book prior to grading submittal?

SB: Who cares? Really, when you get down to it, dealers and smart hobbyists have been doing it for years and years. So the Certified Collectible's Group helps let the cat out of the bag, wants to keep Friesen under their umbrella because they feel his company would be a good fit, and the biggest complainers are the guys who don't want the collectors to have a level playing field. Taking a bend or fold that does not break color out of a comic book is not a bad thing. It is not like you are adding glue and/or color touch, using something artificial, to bring paper closer back to LOOK like it's original state. You ARE bringing it back closer to its original state. I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

:luhv:

What a load of dog poop in the above bolded statement. lol

This whole thing about pressing had absolutely nothing at all to do with CGC proactively voicing their stance on the issue of pressing when they first opened their doors for business. Steve makes it sound like they were the white knight in shining armour.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it board members here around 2004/05 that was finally able to post books which blew this whole pressing scandal wide open through the use of before and after scans. CGC did not willingly admit to any of this in the beginning, and were slowly forced to come on here and issue non-official responses on the boards here and using catchy phrases such as "maximization of potential". :gossip:

To talk about a level playing field at the time is an absolute joke. The playing field at that time was so slanted in favor of CGC and their inside friends who knew what was being done to the books, but tried to keep it quiet for as long as possible in order maximize their pocketbook at the expense of the unsuspecting collector base at the time. With everything much more in the open now, the playing field is a lot more level,but this most certainly was not the case back then.

So I guess the real white knight in shining armour is Danny boy, lol Masterchef, Red, and some of the other long departed or banned board members who originally brought all this to light in the first place. It's amazing how history can be rewritten and revised sometimes to make the wrong people look good. hm