• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Steve Borock Interview

44 posts in this topic

I found this funny and interesting, I guess it's typical Steve. I had not seen it before, although I'm sure many of you may have, but it's a good article to review. One thing I can't tell is when it was done.

I especially like one of the member questions:

Daniel@PGX asks:

1. How do you feel about not being able to force PGX out of business?

SB: Who?

:roflmao:

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/IV/

I especially like one of the member questions:

Daniel@PGX asks:

1. How do you feel about not being able to force PGX out of business?

SB: Who?

lol

EG: What is your personal opinion about pressing a comic book prior to grading submittal?

SB: Who cares? Really, when you get down to it, dealers and smart hobbyists have been doing it for years and years. So the Certified Collectible's Group helps let the cat out of the bag, wants to keep Friesen under their umbrella because they feel his company would be a good fit, and the biggest complainers are the guys who don't want the collectors to have a level playing field. Taking a bend or fold that does not break color out of a comic book is not a bad thing. It is not like you are adding glue and/or color touch, using something artificial, to bring paper closer back to LOOK like it's original state. You ARE bringing it back closer to its original state. I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

:luhv:

Interesting interview. I don't agree that lower grade stuff is cheaper though. Low grade non key Silver used to be quarter bin stuff. If it's in a slab it sure isn't going to be a quarter, or a dollar, or even five dollars. They want to charge for the slabbing service too, or at least make part of their bad investment on a comic they thought would grade higher or have a different color label back. It's rare for a slab of any age and any grade to sell for under ten dollars, I'm talking stuff that's completely undesirable as an investment too.

EG: What is your personal opinion about pressing a comic book prior to grading submittal?

SB: Who cares? Really, when you get down to it, dealers and smart hobbyists have been doing it for years and years. So the Certified Collectible's Group helps let the cat out of the bag, wants to keep Friesen under their umbrella because they feel his company would be a good fit, and the biggest complainers are the guys who don't want the collectors to have a level playing field. Taking a bend or fold that does not break color out of a comic book is not a bad thing. It is not like you are adding glue and/or color touch, using something artificial, to bring paper closer back to LOOK like it's original state. You ARE bringing it back closer to its original state. I and many of the top collector's and dealers have never seen a problem with this.

:luhv:

I agree with him that people shouldn't care about pressing as much as they do, but whether it's acceptable alteration or not is ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Just like when someone writes their name, or a distributor puts a stamp on a book, or when somebody writes an "inventory code" on their collection, or puts corrosive tape on a book, somebody might call that adding something "artificial" just as much as they would if someone put color touch on it many years ago, or iuf a professional sealed a tear with archival glue.

Pressing is artificial.

So is sealing reading material into a permanent plastic casing.

:whistle:

Shill accounts are artificial. 2c

Aw, c'mon. I went 10 whole posts before I took a jab. If that's not the patience of a saint, I don't know what is! :)

Besides... I've been in this since '84... you're ALL newbies to me!

Pressing is artificial.

So is sealing reading material into a permanent plastic casing.

:whistle:

Shill accounts are artificial. 2c

Aw, c'mon. I went 10 whole posts before I took a jab. If that's not the patience of a saint, I don't know what is! :)

Besides... I've been in this since '84... you're ALL newbies to me!

In what since '84?