• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 Sleepers For Under $25 from the 70s- Overstreet Monthly 10/93

53 posts in this topic

Not all of those are mind blowing increases but even the worst is a 100% increase.

It would be VERY interesting for someone to find a list of the top 25 stocks to watch from 1993 and see what their prices are today to compare against the comics hm

or 25 Sleepers For Under $25 from the 1990s comics hm

Hey, like I said, I'll take 4% a year as my WORST investment over ALOT of the stocks I had in the 90's!

4% a year is a wet dream compared to how a lot of those stinkers performed! ( can you tell I'm still pissed about Worldcom?!? lol )

I don't think that would have been your worst. This is 1993. You should also have a longbox of Archer & Armstrong #0, Plasm #1, X-Force #1, and Deathmate Red.

I'll take 33% as the WORST return on an investment as opposed to the return I got on my worldcom stock I had back close to that time!

Sure, but if that is the limit of your investing acumen, I have a feeling you would have a few boxes of X-Men 1/X-Force 1, Spawn and WILDcats in your portfolio circa 1993. lol

They missed a lot of books, and the big problem was, that for true high-grade copies (which you would need to make the %), these were already selling for much higher than listed. I was trying to find a NM copy of MTIO #1 and these were $30+ years before this issue came out.

I can remember when HFH 1 was listed as a hot buy in a late-80's/early-90's OS Update with some really low guide value and right after that, several OS dealers reported getting $20 for that issue in VG.

OS was so behind the times it wasn't even funny, and it was easy to go through the Guide and picking great deals, it was just very difficult to find them in grade at those prices. That is why the low-brow "general public" gravitated towards new issue speculation - it was much easier as all you had to do was ask the LCS for a few cases each week. :insane:

They missed a lot of books, and the big problem was, that for true high-grade copies (which you would need to make the %), these were already selling for much higher than listed. I was trying to find a NM copy of MTIO #1 and these were $30+ years before this issue came out.

I can remember when HFH 1 was listed as a hot buy in a late-80's/early-90's OS Update with some really low guide value and right after that, several OS dealers reported getting $20 for that issue in VG.

OS was so behind the times it wasn't even funny, and it was easy to go through the Guide and picking great deals, it was just very difficult to find them in grade at those prices. That is why the low-brown "general public" gravitated towards new issue speculation - it was much easier as all you had to do was ask the LCS for a few cases each week. :insane:

thats-racist.gif

Yeah, that is the thing that is never brought up when going back to the "Coulda bought for guide prices and made a killing" threads. Early bronze was TOUGH in high grade. It was hard to even see a single copy of Weird War #1 with your own eyes back then. Maybe a con would have one, maybe you ordered one blind from CBG or a catalog, but the pickens were Slim. Dealers who started carrying high grade bronze early on, like Avalon comics, were charging a lot. I remember feeling sick after ordering my HOM 174 in NM from Larry Curcio for the then staggering price of $45. And his grading was dead on.

I'll take 33% as the WORST return on an investment as opposed to the return I got on my worldcom stock I had back close to that time!

Sure, but if that is the limit of your investing acumen, I have a feeling you would have a few boxes of X-Men 1/X-Force 1, Spawn and WILDcats in your portfolio circa 1993. lol

No doubt. I'm just saying though if you followed that list and went and bought all 25 of those books, i wouldnt exactly be crying over those returns. At least every single one of them went up somewhat. I doubt the same would be true for a list of "top 25 stocks".

With stocks,yeah you might hit it big on some and hold your own on most others but there would almost definitely be at least a few that you took a complete bath on (thumbs u

well, the DOW is around 25 stocks and was between 3300 and 3750 in 1993, so Guide was comparable at tripling since then.

BUT -- comparing Guide prices is meaningles, Its only a measure of what Bob for whatever reason has chosen to type into his price database. Youd have to compare dealer prices in strict grades to todays CGC values to get any real sense of the performances.

no?

well, the DOW is around 25 stocks and was between 3300 and 3750 in 1993, so Guide was comparable at tripling since then.

BUT -- comparing Guide prices is meaningles, Its only a measure of what Bob for whatever reason has chosen to type into his price database. Youd have to compare dealer prices in strict grades to todays CGC values to get any real sense of the performances.

no?

DJIA is 30 stocks... and has seen some changes since 1993. That alone skews the comparison slightly.

I'd agree about the cash out - and add that transaction fees are not the 10% that CLink, eBay, Pedigree and the like will take as their cut.

1) Amazing Adventures 1 - Black Widow & Inhumans in new series - $12 (inflation adjusted $18.11)/100 average annual rate of return after inflation 10.57%

2) Amazing Adventures 11 - 1st furry beast - $10/350 average annual rate of return after inflation 20.31%

3) Amazing Adventures 18 - 1st Killraven + Adams art - $12/38 average annual rate of return after inflation 4.46%

4) Astonishing Tales 1 - Dr Doom inhis own series + Kazar - $20/100 average annual rate of return after inflation 7.30%

5) Batman 232 - 1st Ra's Al Ghoul - $22/325 average annual rate of return after inflation 14.36%

6) The Cat 1 - 1st appearance of Cat/Tigra - $12/50 average annual rate of return after inflation 6.16%

7) Champions 1 - $18/50 average annual rate of return after inflation 3.66%

8) The Demon 1 - $20/100 average annual rate of return after inflation 7.30%

9) Detective 400 - 1st Man-Bat - $25/375 average annual rate of return after inflation 14.46%

10) Detective 437 - New Manhunter - $12/75 average annual rate of return after inflation 8.72%

11) E-Man 1 - $15/30 average annual rate of return after inflation 1.67%

12) First Issue Special 8/Warlord 1 - 1st Warlord - $15 ea/45/40average annual rate of return after inflation 4.12%/3.40%

13) Frankenstein (Monster of) - $15/110 average annual rate of return after inflation 9.74%

14) Iron Fist 1 - $25/95 average annual rate of return after inflation 5.58%

15) Jonah Hex 1 - $25/175 average annual rate of return after inflation 9.45%

16) Man-Thing 1 - $16/85 average annual rate of return after inflation 7.69%

17) Marvel Two-In-One 1 - $20/100 average annual rate of return after inflation 7.30%

18) Mister Miracle1 - $15/130 average annual rate of return after inflation 5.58%

19) Powerman 17 - 1st issue - $12/25 average annual rate of return after inflation 1.91%

20) Son of Satan 1 - $10/35 average annual rate of return after inflation 5.07%

21) Star Spangled War Stories 151 - 1st Unknown Soldier - $25/360 average annual rate of return after inflation 14.49%

22) Star Wars 1 - $18/95 average annual rate of return after inflation 7.64%

23) Strange Tales 178 - Warlock begins - $18//40 average annual rate of return after inflation 2.30%

24/25) Submariner 34 & 35 - Pre Defenders #1 appearances - $15 ea/130/95 average annual rate of return after inflation 10.83%/8.80%

These rates of return blow - I'm positive there are thousands of stocks and hundreds of comics that have real rates of return better than most of these. Here's just one - AAPL. Share price on March 2, 1993 (random date I just picked) $13.56 (inflation adjusted to $20.46). Current price $336.10, average annual rate of return after inflation 17.90%

Donut;

From my point of view, your comparison is like comparing Apples to oranges! lol

Did you happen to pick AAPL based upon a randon selection of equities or based upon the fact that it is now the most highly valued company in existence? If you pick a gaint like AAPL to compare, then maybe you should really be picking a book like Action #1 or 'Tec #27, or a "sleeper-type" book back in the early 90's like 'Tec #31. The comparison to AAPL would then be much more relevant.

I also think that for every sleeper stock like AAPL, there are probably 10 or more that went absolutely nowhere or are even worthless by now. I know of many people that have lost a ton of money in the stock market, but hardly anybody that has lost any real money in investment quality comic books. hm

2) Amazing Adventures 11 - 1st furry beast - $10/350

5) Batman 232 - 1st Ra's Al Ghoul - $22/325

9) Detective 400 - 1st Man-Bat - $25/375

21) Star Spangled War Stories 151 - 1st Unknown Soldier - $25/360

^^

That's about it though. 4 for 25...not so good.

I'd like to see what a new Top 25 sleeper list looks like today...

it's DC's world and Marvel is just living in it :banana:

(thumbs u