• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do u remove paint from a plastic statue?

13 posts in this topic

If it's a plastic statue, unfortunately anything that might remove the paint is very likely to melt the plastic.

More info and pictures would be nice.

Model builders often have to do this.

One way is to use oven cleaner - put the models in a plastic bag and spray oven cleaner in. Tie the bag off and leave it for 24 hours then scrub away with a toothbrush in soapy water. WEAR GLOVES.

There are various other ways. Some people swear by engine degreaser. You can read about that here but I've never tried that.

Good luck.

One way is to use oven cleaner - put the models in a plastic bag and spray oven cleaner in. Tie the bag off and leave it for 24 hours then scrub away with a toothbrush in soapy water. WEAR GLOVES.

There are various other ways. Some people swear by engine degreaser. You can read about that here but I've never tried that.

Good luck.

Engine degreaser is petroleum based and might damage the statue. I'd be afraid to try it.

Good luck.

Engine degreaser is petroleum based and might damage the statue. I'd be afraid to try it.

Depends what the plastic is. Polystyrene will be fine, others maybe not. That's why the article I linked has a caveat in it about trying it on something you can afford to lose..