• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Unhappy kids

315 posts in this topic

Not always. My parents smoked like chimneys. None of their children smoke.

Dude, seriously? You're kind of missing out. It is unbelievably pleasurable to kick back and have a smoke. Super relaxing, it's like all the stress of everything just fades away like all the beautiful smoke you just exhaled. You should try it. You'll like it. Trust me, man. You'll like it.

I saw on the news a segment about a mother using hot sauce as punishment for her kids. The experts on the show all agreed that it was child abuse. Then the interviewer asked about previous generations' use of castor oil, and the experts agreed that it was similar. But they said now we know its wrong so using the hot sauce is wrong.

Which leads me to wonder:

1) With this logic, the entirety of the previous generation was abused by their parents using such heavy-handed discipline. Did this abuse have no ill-effects? And I do wonder, though, how they were able to grow up into mature, responsible individuals, while the younger generation seems to be failing in this.

2) If it was ok back then, because we didn't know better, how is this mother's actions not ok, since clearly she didn't know better?

It's better for all if a set of social norms or expectations are maintained at the level of community (those of us the parents showed this to... whatever the counter is at now) and not just at the extremes of family vs. government intervention.

Clearly emotions run high on this topic and it has been "untouchable" for a long time but maybe the modern era of school shootings should give us pause. Maybe, we should all have some collective roll in the raising of children (beyond family).

No, you shouldn't. You should mind your own business and stay out of other people's lives.

Really? Does that work in all circumstances? If not all circumstances then when? Is there a set of criteria? Is it color coded like the National Threat Level?

Is this an Aqua level of alert approaching Golden Rod?

:gossip: Living in a civilized society of laws really renders the "stay out of other people's lives" thing moot, doesn't it? People CAN'T just do whatever they want, especially to children. I agree that people are afforded the ability to raise their children in a manner they see fit but that only stretches so far, doesn't it?

Someone's opinion about what is and is not right in the rearing of a child...in which the child is clearly not being harmed in any meaningful way...

Let us know

Oh please...argue for your own self.

if you feel a throbbing sensation just before your head explodes from putting two contradictory statements so close to each other in the same paragraph.

And those statements are not contradictory in the slightest. Outside of direct harm, there is a whole world of opinion. Your opinion isn't any more valid or invalid than any others, and the important thing is this: I'll never tell you how to raise your own kids.

You stated that people were off base by having an opinion as to whether what these parents did was proper and that they were mistaken to state those opinions as facts.

You followed that up by stating an opinion as a fact that these kids have not been harmed in any meaningful way. How do you know that? Isn't that just you opinion? Isn't it just based on that photo and your personal feelings?

Because you can clearly see that the children are physically healthy, and were obviously not mentally harmed because they were playing with their toys, normally.

How exactly is that any more or less valid than the opinions you are shooting out of the sky as invalid with your howitzer of love and understanding?

Pot meet contradiction.

That's how. Unless you can see something that others cannot.

It's better for all if a set of social norms or expectations are maintained at the level of community (those of us the parents showed this to... whatever the counter is at now) and not just at the extremes of family vs. government intervention.

Clearly emotions run high on this topic and it has been "untouchable" for a long time but maybe the modern era of school shootings should give us pause. Maybe, we should all have some collective roll in the raising of children (beyond family).

No, you shouldn't. You should mind your own business and stay out of other people's lives.

Really? Does that work in all circumstances? If not all circumstances then when? Is there a set of criteria? Is it color coded like the National Threat Level?

Is this an Aqua level of alert approaching Golden Rod?

:gossip: Living in a civilized society of laws really renders the "stay out of other people's lives" thing moot, doesn't it?

Not in the slightest! Your rights stop at my nose. Easy. Cheesy. The standard of what constitutes abuse (though it is creeping more and more) are well established, and aren't even CLOSE to being met in this case.

People CAN'T just do whatever they want, especially to children. I agree that people are afforded the ability to raise their children in a manner they see fit but that only stretches so far, doesn't it.

And the more and more "involved" the "community" gets in raising children, the more fractured it will become. Why would parents care if their children are bad? The school/church/daycare/CPS/Mrs. Derby down the street will take care of it....leaving me free to go golfing with my buddies.

Right?

Dude, seriously? You're kind of missing out. It is unbelievably pleasurable to kick back and have a smoke. Super relaxing, it's like all the stress of everything just fades away like all the beautiful smoke you just exhaled. You should try it. You'll like it. Trust me, man. You'll like it.

lol

;)

Someone's opinion about what is and is not right in the rearing of a child...in which the child is clearly not being harmed in any meaningful way...

Let us know

if you feel a throbbing sensation just before your head explodes from putting two contradictory statements so close to each other in the same paragraph.

And those statements are not contradictory in the slightest. Outside of direct harm, there is a whole world of opinion. Your opinion isn't any more valid or invalid than any others, and the important thing is this: I'll never tell you how to raise your own kids.

You stated that people were off base by having an opinion as to whether what these parents did was proper and that they were mistaken to state those opinions as facts.

You followed that up by stating an opinion as a fact that these kids have not been harmed in any meaningful way. How do you know that? Isn't that just you opinion? Isn't it just based on that photo and your personal feelings?

Because you can clearly see that the children are physically healthy, and were obviously not mentally harmed because they were playing with their toys, normally.

How exactly is that any more or less valid than the opinions you are shooting out of the sky as invalid with your howitzer of love and understanding?

Pot meet contradiction.

You saw with your eyes and came to a conclusion that they are 100% fine. You made both medical and psychological diagnoses from a fricken picture and you are saying that's NOT an opinion? That's a proven fact? Really?

You stated an opinion and so did I. You think yours is fact, that's the difference I think.

As a side note you have just put thousands of Doctors out of business because you made a medical diagnosis of their physical condition using an ebay photo. The only parts of them you can see are their hands and faces. Are you saying that you can state to a 100% indisputable fact that they aren't bruised from shoulder to ankle under those clothes? Really? How do you know they weren't spanked or beaten? Good lord that's irresponsible. I think this was a thing to do to these kids but even I didn't go so far as to make a fricken med/psych eval on them. I didn't because we don't know anything about these kids, sure not that there's NOTHING wrong with them.

We won't even get into how off base the psych evaluation was being that you still have only that one photo and nothing else to go by.

Defending something this out there is not what I expected from you. It's too blatantly silly.

Let us know

Pot meet contradiction.

You saw with your eyes and came to a conclusion that they are 100% fine. You made both medical and psychological diagnoses from a fricken picture and you are saying that's NOT an opinion? That's a proven fact? Really?

You stated an opinion and so did I. You think yours is fact, that's the difference I think.

As a side note you have just put thousands of Doctors out of business because you made a medical diagnosis of their physical condition using an ebay photo. The only parts of them you can see are their hands and faces. Are you saying that you can state to a 100% indisputable fact that they aren't bruised from shoulder to ankle under those clothes? Really? How do you know they weren't spanked or beaten? Good lord that's irresponsible. I think this was a thing to do to these kids but even I didn't go so far as to make a fricken med/psych eval on them. I didn't because we don't know anything about these kids, sure not that there's NOTHING wrong with them.

We won't even get into how off base the psych evaluation was being that you still have only that one photo and nothing else to go by.

Defending something this out there is not what I expected from you. It's too blatantly silly.

I'm making an assumption based on the evidence in front of my own two eyes.

It's better than making an assumption on what you CANNOT see, as you have been doing this whole thread...

;)

Let us know

Pot meet contradiction.

I'm making an assumption based on the evidence in front of my own two eyes.

It's better than making an assumption on what you CANNOT see, as you have been doing this whole thread...

;)

You mean like assuming they are fine both physically and mentally because of that picture? There A LOT you CANNOT see from that picture. So NO it's not any better, not even a smidgen.

Agreed. There's a difference between discipline and humiliation.

What of the new trend among some judges to hand out public-humiliation sentences for some offenders?

Are the offenders 7 years old?

lol

;)

I'm just saying, there's a reason your parents smoked. It's super cool. And I'm telling you from first hand experience. Just check it out. That's all I'm asking. Just try one and if at the end you still don't like it, then ok.

But I think you might like it. ;)

Ultimate form of child abuse. And it's published on the internet just to cause the child ridicule and embarrassment.

I'm sure I'm witnessing the birth of a future Charles Manson. :ohnoez:

bert_baby_124.gif

160 posts on a comic book message board about this.

The main gist of what is being said is that the picture was a stupid decision by the parents. I am going out on a limb here but I think most of Comix4funs posts are tongue in cheek as far as the "future killers" angle.

If there are 160 posts on a comic book message board, what do you think is going to happen when this hits the mainstream media? :sick: Unfortunately I don't see how that won't happen.

Bottom line is, have you as a parent made a good decision about your discipline if it ends up on the freakin news? Part of a job as a parent is to protect and filter the BS from the world until they are ready to deal with it. There is no 6 or 8 year old that is ready to deal with the wildly_fanciful_statement that is going to come with this if it hits the news.

Why do the kids potentially have to deal with it? Because some idea of "discipline". This has nothing to do with coddling "precious" kids or "parents these days" wildly_fanciful_statement. This has everything to do with not considering the consequences of your actions. If as a parent, you do something that brings the scrutiny that this may, then you have fudged up. Are you a bad parent? Not necessarily but...

I'd go apesh*t, take them away and likely sell them, but I would not post pictures, particularly of the older one crying. that WILL find its way to him at school and he will be relentlessly taunted about it. kids are mean. part of being a parent is thinking all this stuff out and issue your discipline in a way that will have the least long term damage --- so don't wack them in the head either!