• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With which issue do you think the art on Green Lantern peaked?

26 posts in this topic

With which issue do you think the art on the Green Lantern title in the Silver Age peaked? For the purposes of this question I'm not including the Green Lantern - Green Arrow part of the run beginning with issue 76.

Moreover, do you think the cover art and the interior art peaked at the same time?

hm

With which issue do you think the art on the Green Lantern title in the Silver Age peaked? For the purposes of this question I'm not including the Green Lantern - Green Arrow part of the run beginning with issue 76.

Moreover, do you think the cover art and the interior art peaked at the same time?

hm

I thought Joe Giella sapped Gil Kane's pencils of much of their power in the early days of the strip. Sid Greene I thought was a better fit, even though he went in the other direction and almost overpowered Kane, if that's possible. I think the handful of Gil Kane / Murphy Anderson issues were the best, though they were sprinkled throughout the run (a few in the earliest years, 2 or 3 in the later). I also like the Gil Kane solo issues, though that's something of an acquired taste.

I'd say the best are from around #38 - #61 -- lots of stories featuring the alien GLs, Alan Scott, and the Guardians. (thumbs u

hm

I thought Joe Giella sapped Gil Kane's pencils of much of their power in the early days of the strip. Sid Greene I thought was a better fit, even though he went in the other direction and almost overpowered Kane, if that's possible. I think the handful of Gil Kane / Murphy Anderson issues were the best, though they were sprinkled throughout the run (a few in the earliest years, 2 or 3 in the later). I also like the Gil Kane solo issues, though that's something of an acquired taste.

I'd say the best are from around #38 - #61 -- lots of stories featuring the alien GLs, Alan Scott, and the Guardians. (thumbs u

I would agree. I think #40 is a success. 59,60 and 63 are other examples.

I think the covers of the Green Lantern books were simply phenomenal from issue 16 to issue 40, with issues 17 and 36 being stark exceptions. I think the covers then began a sharp decline with issue 41, with issue 63 pencilled by Neal Adams being the notable exception. I also think the interiors began to decline somewhere around issue 40 as Gil Kane's style became more and more pronounced/exaggerated.

:(

I think there are some really good covers among the first 10 too, most notably #2 and #8.

In person, there's not much more striking than a flawless GL 8 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think there are some really good covers among the first 10 too, most notably #2 and #8.

In person, there's not much more striking than a flawless GL 8 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's the one I really dislike! And I like the covers to 1, 3, 4, 6 and 9 more than I like 2. Oh well. That's what makes a market.

;)

Honestly its too bad that you have to look so hard to find really great cover for a good character, one thing DC forgot how to do for a long time. Even you will admit that Marvel spoiled their readers on a regular basis with tons of great covers. :baiting:

Honestly its too bad that you have to look so hard to find really great cover for a good character, one thing DC forgot how to do for a long time. Even you will admit that Marvel spoiled their readers on a regular basis with tons of great covers. :baiting:

If you want runs of good/great SA DC covers look to the big five war titles.