• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was DC's most heroic canine?

Who was DC's most heroic canine character?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was DC's most heroic canine character?

47 posts in this topic

Who was the most heroic canine in DC's pantheon of stars?

Ace the Bat-Hound - feared by wrongdoers across the depth and breadth of Gotham City!

133-1.jpg

Krypto - his heroic exploits were so far ranging that they could not be confined to just earth but spilled over into deepest, darkest space!

277-1.jpg

Pooch - without his heroic deeds the Americans might very well have lost the war in the Pacific!

74-1.jpg

Rex - the scourge of every menace from Nazis to Commies to grizzly bears to dinosaurs and hero to small children and kittens everywhere!

6-3.jpg

Streak - so heroic that he bumped Green Lantern right off the cover of his own magazine!

34-1.jpg

???

I'm still looking for a crack option as it right now it looks more appealling. :eek: Billy time to start a new run perhaps?

the only manageable list would be of NON-dog d.c.'s.

REX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was little, I enjoyed watching the TV show Rin Tin Tin. I also had a dog that looked like Lassie. But I probably read more stories about Krypto than any other dog. Missed those stories when Shooter brought in the Legion. Never read Rex or Streak or any of the others. So Krypto wins. Stories by ??

REX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was little, I enjoyed watching the TV show Rin Tin Tin. I also had a dog that looked like Lassie. But I probably read more stories about Krypto than any other dog. Missed those stories when Shooter brought in the Legion. Never read Rex or Streak or any of the others. So Krypto wins. Stories by ??

I've collected a straight run of Rex, so he wins. :sumo:

Rin Tin Tin

Lassie

Bullet

None of those mutts originated in comics though. Hopefully you're not a big boob tube fan.

(tsk)

Not DC's, but the best. (why is DC always second fiddle?)

They weren't with me when I was ten - and nothing else matters.

:makepoint:

Anybody have some Mort Weisinger stories?

http://www.wtv-zone.com/silverager/interviews/shooter_2.shtml

Everybody has a Mort Weisinger story and I've even heard it speculated that even though his style was somewhat abrasive at times it was necessary to keep things rolling and people on deadline and so forth. What was your experience, if you don't mind?

Jim Shooter: Well, right up front, one of our first conversations, I think it was the conversation we had right after I told him I was 14; up until then basically our conversations consisted of, "Send me a Supergirl story, 12 pages." And I would send him a Supergirl story, 12 pages. Then he'd say, "I need a Superman story. 22 pages." And the conversations, that's all they were. I was doing the stuff all on my own. We hadn't really quite gotten into a thing where we were talking about plots or stuff. And then he found out I was 14 and I remember he said to me, "Look, even though you're 14 I'm going to treat you exactly the way I treat every other writer." And I said, "Okay. That's fine." Well, I didn't realize what that meant. I think that was also the point where he really decided that he wanted to train me, okay? So it wasn't just "Send me a Superman story." It was "Send me an idea, and then let's talk about it." And so I'd send him an idea, a plot, a couple of pages of plot and he'd call me up and we'd talk about it and then also after that when I would send in my little drawings with the dialogue he would call me up and we would go over it. Panel by panel. Word by word. We had a regularly scheduled phone call every Thursday night and then he would call me any other time he needed to. Well, these conversations quickly got into, "You f---ing person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point! You stupid ! What is this supposed to be? You can't spell this word! Blah, blah, blah." Oh, my God. Just screaming at me. So we'd have these 3 hour sessions where he just screamed at me the whole time. "What's this man holding? It looks like a carrot. Is that supposed to be a gun?" Anyway, the words, "f---ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person" were used with great frequency. I mean I needed this gig. I was helping to support my family and keep us from losing the house and all that stuff and so I didn't know what to do. Usually these conversations just went along and ended up with me saying, "I just can't do this. You just need to get somebody else," and he would always say, "No. That's all right. I'll give you one more chance." And to my face he used to call me his "charity case." He said, "Well, your family would starve without this, so we'll give you another shot."

But anyway, Mort was fierce. He was nasty. The apocryphal story of his funeral was that they couldn't find anybody to do the eulogy and finally some guy who had known him a long time got up and said, "Well, his brother was worse." (Mutual laughter.) And while I'm sure that's apocryphal, I mean I'm telling you, not many people would argue with it. He was something. Remember, I'm 14, and the big, important vice-president man from New York calls me every Thursday to tell me I'm retarded. At first I really felt bad. I really felt terrible. And then I got to be 17 and I started thinking, "If I really sucked, they wouldn't keep sending me these checks."