• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just starting Legacy by David Golemon , Event Group thriller # 6.

Think of these as Challengers of the Unknown type pop corn beach books. I think they're up to #9 in the Event Group series so far. So if you enjoy grand adventures, hidden history, forbidden archeology, team continuity and all that stuff this fun series is worth your time.

11737960.jpg

I'm now reading the Hard Case Crime novel Choke Hold by Christa Faust.

Finished the above book; it was a quick read that was entertaining, but it was definitely one of the weaker Hard Case Crime novels I've read - I'd recommend others before tackling this one.

I'm a few chapters into Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division by Peter Hook, who was the bassist for Joy Division and New Order.

I've been reading the Peter Grant novels (the first is "Rivers of London" but was renamed "Midnight Riot" for the U.S. release). They're good stuff. Basically it's police procedural crossed with Harry Potter, with lots of geeky references thrown in.

....that sounds different and interesting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Started 'Just Kids' by Patti Smith. She may not be everyone's fancy as a musician, but the book is focused on her time in the NYC music and art scenes of the sixties and seventies, especially her relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, and she's a terrific writer.

I'm a few chapters into Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division by Peter Hook, who was the bassist for Joy Division and New Order.

Finished the above book. Most celebrity autobiographies are clearly ghost-written, but this one was such a rambling mess that I believe it could have actually been written by Hook himself. That said, the story is compelling enough to make it a worthwhile read, especially as the timeline winds down to lead singer Ian Curtis' tragic demise (35 years ago this Monday). :(

I'm now reading The Supermodel and the Brillo Box: Back Stories and Peculiar Economics from the World of Contemporary Art by Don Thompson. The book is a follow-up to his 2007 book The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art which is a terrific read as well.

155364.jpg.0c4460b9eccc8c636a40f0c1d7e780be.jpg

Just finished reading Colonel Sun: A James Bond Adventure by Robert Markham, the nom de plume of noted English writer Kingsley Amis. This was the first "continuation" Bond novel published after Fleming's death in 1964 (it was published in 1968). It was a fun, fast read - basically Bond travels to Greece to thwart a Chinese "false flag" plot to discredit the British in the eyes of the Soviets. The story is low on gadgets and humor and prefers to rely on gritty action. I enjoyed it.

I just started reading the 2014 book on value investing Brandes on Value: The Independent Investor by noted value investor Charles Brandes.

Just finished Harlan Coben - The Stranger. Pretty good. I was definitely shocked by the ending.

Next is a re-read of Ready Player One. It's just a damn good book.

'The Magicians' by Les Grossman

'A Briefer History of Time' by Hawking (on my 4th read)

'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Green (on my 2nd read)

'The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi' by Peter Wayne with Mark Fuerst

These among a large number of comics a month. I like to keep a few books reading at a time.

I'm really enjoying The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell at the moment... a crime thriller set in the Vatican against the backdrop of an exhibition of the Shroud of Turin and an ongoing conflict between Catholic and Orthodox priests.

Next is a re-read of Ready Player One. It's just a damn good book.

+1

If this is up your alley, you should read Cory Doctorow's Makers, and Neal Stephenson's Reamde.

"Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi" by Kevin Hearne

So far pretty bland. Hoping it gets better. I don't like this first person perspective from Luke's point of view but I am trying to keep an open mind.

'The Magicians' by Les Grossman

'A Briefer History of Time' by Hawking (on my 4th read)

'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Green (on my 2nd read)

'The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi' by Peter Wayne with Mark Fuerst

These among a large number of comics a month. I like to keep a few books reading at a time.

...... "The Elegant Universe"...... for those curious about advanced physics, is totally awesome and very layman friendly :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm almost done with Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box. I'm sure you all know that Hill is Stephen King's son.

Next, I have to re-read the first 2 books in Justin Cronin's excellent Passage trilogy before the third book comes out this fall. I hope Amy doesn't die...she reminds me of Blade the Vampire Hunter.

Mike