• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I finally broke down and grabbed a copy of "The Last Days Of Krypton" by Kevin J Anderson...... I've just started it, but it's showing a LOT of promise. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have put down a few novels in the past weeks, finding that Thomas Adcock writes a well-crafted ~200-page NYPD Detective murder mystery. They go in a day.

I did take some time to read all 755 small-type pages of "Lusitania", a semi-fictional account of the sinking of the luxury liner Lusitania at the start of WWI by a German submarine. It is really good, you seem to instantly care about the characters as you are introduced to them, and the writer can bring scenes together nicely, casting off to different characters who are totally unrelated but happen to be in the same setting (i.e., such as when some of the previously introduced characters who become accidental passengers as the Lusitania comes in to dock in NYC before setting off for her last journey, and upon spying the captain in the bridge tower, he leaps to his story instead if cutting to another paragraph or chapter).

It's a long read, but thoroughly enjoyable.

-slym

Recently just finished

The Beatles - a Biography by Bob Spitz - Great read!

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace - I would only recommend this to someone who is a fan of DFW.

1984 and Animal Farm by Orwell - It's been a long while since I had read these. I am blown away by how well written 1984 is. I used to say it was one of my favorite books and apparently it still is.

Just recently finished "Slan" by A.E. van Vogt. Written in 1939, it's a science fiction classic about mutants being persecuted by normal mankind. Also read "Doctor Futurity" by PKD. The book gets heavily involved with some of the paradoxes of time travel and a future earth where man has lost his sense of individuality and expects to die young for the good of his "tribe".

Just started on "The Forgotten Planet" by Murray Leinster. The book was originally three different stories that appeared in pulp magazines, and were later rewritten by Leinster as a novel in 1954.

I finally broke down and grabbed a copy of "The Last Days Of Krypton" by Kevin J Anderson...... I've just started it, but it's showing a LOT of promise. GOD BLESS...

FINIS :cloud9: ....... I've heard rumors of a Krypton T.V. show...... if so, hopefully some source material will come from this one.... GOD BLESS....

...... the latest book I'm on is "Blasphemy" by Preston and it's really grabbing me...... but then I've always been fascinated by advanced Physics and the new frontiers explored by Particle Accelerators ...... so this novel is a no brainer for me. GOD BLESS...

I read a lot of biographies...just finished Sue Mengers and one about the Newport Folk Festival and Bob Dylan going electric. The newest biography of Harvey Kurtzman was an awesome read.