• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished "1984" by Georg Orwell. Reading Don Quixote now.

Ah, that was a good book l read years ago in high school. That was in the 80s. Little scary the way Orwell is saying in his writing.

Well guess what... we are sort of living in this idea! Big Brother is already here lol

I just finished plowing through the first six books in The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell - it's a fun military series with elements of hard sci-fi.

I'm now working my way, chronologically, through the late, great David Gemmell's heroic fantasy series - I'm half way through the Drenai Saga right now.

Oh...also just finished "Hitler: A Study In Tyranny" (yeah, I know book titles are supposed to be italicized, but I've always been lazy about that) by Sir Alan Bullock, written shortly after the war, when everyone was still quite fresh.

It squarely refutes the denial claims, along with much, much more.

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

Started a movie-thread about Spielberg doing Ready Player One. :applause:

And it's been just about long enough for a re-read...or two. lol If you read, you owe it to yourself, seriously.

And thanks again to Delekkerste for pointing it out in the first place. :)

ready-player-one-book-cover.png

Currently reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. This guy is a very talented writer, also wrote "Devil in the White City" "Thunderstuck" and his latest book is "Dead Wake." Check out his books if you haven't, you won't be dissapointed!

I'm now reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins as well.

Really enjoyed the above novel; for all the reviews calling it the British version of Gone Girl, I thought it was reasonably different and it didn't feel like I was just retreading over familiar ground. I found the alcoholic protagonist to be far more annoying and unlikable than Girl's Nick Dunne, but, ultimately I felt the payoff was worth it and certainly liked the ending better than its American counterpart.

I'm now reading the Hard Case Crime novel Choke Hold by Christa Faust.

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

Started a movie-thread about Spielberg doing Ready Player One. :applause:

And it's been just about long enough for a re-read...or two. lol If you read, you owe it to yourself, seriously.

And thanks again to Delekkerste for pointing it out in the first place. :)

ready-player-one-book-cover.png

This was really a great book for those of us "of a certain age." I was surprised when I saw Spielberg would be directing this - I'm not sure I can picture what the final product will be, but it'll be fun to see.

Just finished "Sandstorm" by James Rollins, another novel in the Sigma Force series. These things are fantastic....well researched with a nice smattering of real science infused into a Black Ops type scenario.....real page turners. These would translate well to the big screen......and he's not afraid to toss strong female characters into a predominately male genre....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I've been reading Steve Berry lately. I started with the first one, the "Templar Legacy" and I'm up to "The King's Deception".

They are a great mixture of James Bond and historical novels. Many of them reference code solving. In this book he brings up the "Bisley Boy" theory, that Elizabeth 1, was really a male.

I'm only 25% through it, so there is a long way to go. If you enjoyed the Dan Brown books you'd probably like these.