• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I've been on a Jim Thompson kick.

Read The Getaway, The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters and Pop. 1280. Currently re-reading After Dark, My Sweet.

That dude could write!

Also skimming parts of his biography, Savage Art, by Robert Polito.

I love Sam Peckinpah, but the movie version of The Getaway seemed completely flat after reading the book.

I devoured everything that Black Lizard re-published by Thompson in the early 90s. You should check out some of the lesser known books. He falls prey to re-using character mannerisms at times but they're all worth reading; A Hell of a Woman is one of my favorites.

I've never seen the movie, actually, but I can't imagine them filming the ending as written!

Hell of a Woman is on my list, and so is Savage Night. But I might take a break and switch to Agatha Christie next.

busy reading this -

Mountain Man

by Keith C Blackmore and Lynn O' Dell

love this book series... give it a whirl if you like post apocalyprtic / zombie stuff... very well written... depth of characters... nice flow... 4 books in the series~

I've been on a Jim Thompson kick.

Read The Getaway, The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters and Pop. 1280. Currently re-reading After Dark, My Sweet.

That dude could write!

Also skimming parts of his biography, Savage Art, by Robert Polito.

I love Sam Peckinpah, but the movie version of The Getaway seemed completely flat after reading the book.

I devoured everything that Black Lizard re-published by Thompson in the early 90s. You should check out some of the lesser known books. He falls prey to re-using character mannerisms at times but they're all worth reading; A Hell of a Woman is one of my favorites.

I've never seen the movie, actually, but I can't imagine them filming the ending as written!

Hell of a Woman is on my list, and so is Savage Night. But I might take a break and switch to Agatha Christie next.

You also might want to try some of the Travis McGee books by John McDonald. They're not gritty and dark like Thompson but they're entertaining.

Next is a re-read of Ready Player One. It's just a damn good book.

+1

If this is up your alley, you should read Cory Doctorow's Makers, and Neal Stephenson's Reamde.

I am reading Reamde now and it is awesome! So inventive and unexpected!

Forgot about this thread, thanks for the bump.

I'm currently reading Emperor of all Maladies - Pulitzer prize winning history if cancer. It's been on my list for a few years. I'm halfway through and it's very good, and as expected, a bit of a tough read.

Working my way through The Making of the Atomic Bomb: 25th Anniversary Edition by Richard Rhodes - excellent read but very dense.

When I need a break from that I'm re-reading Bakker's Second Apocalypse in preparation for the sixth, and perhaps final, book that is coming later this year.

Love that book! (thumbs u

Forgot about this thread, thanks for the bump.

I'm currently reading Emperor of all Maladies - Pulitzer prize winning history if cancer. It's been on my list for a few years. I'm halfway through and it's very good, and as expected, a bit of a tough read.

Excellent read as well! I think you snuck a few books off my shelf :baiting:

Working my way through The Making of the Atomic Bomb: 25th Anniversary Edition by Richard Rhodes - excellent read but very dense.

When I need a break from that I'm re-reading Bakker's Second Apocalypse in preparation for the sixth, and perhaps final, book that is coming later this year.

Yes, I finally finished it. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read, almost certainly the best nonfiction book I've ever read.

Yes, I finally finished it. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read, almost certainly the best nonfiction book I've ever read.

It gives a nice overview of early twentieth century physics and the personalities involved. The follow up, 'Dark Sun' is worth reading as well.

It gives a nice overview of early twentieth century physics and the personalities involved. The follow up, 'Dark Sun' is worth reading as well.

It's already on the list, glad to hear you liked it!

It's already on the list, glad to hear you liked it!

I'll give a +1 on both books. The Teller-Ulam solution for the H-bomb is something I wouldn't have thought of in a million years. Rhodes does a great job of describing some fairly arcane technical matters in a readable way.

Just finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick for the second time. First time I read it 30+ years ago for a college class on Science Fiction, so of course I didn't appreciate it since it was an assignment . lol

I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. Whether it is comics or novels, Gaiman is a really great writer imo. (thumbs u

American Gods is great. I read it while at Boy Scout Camp with my son, and it was fun to realize I was very near to the supposed site of one of the scenes (The World Tree).

I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. Whether it is comics or novels, Gaiman is a really great writer imo. (thumbs u

I recommend the 10th anniversary edition - fun book. Stardust is still my favorite Gaiman novel though.

Just finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick for the second time. First time I read it 30+ years ago for a college class on Science Fiction, so of course I didn't appreciate it since it was an assignment . lol

That show on Amazon Instant Video was AWESOME! I can't wait until season two.

I recommend the 10th anniversary edition - fun book. Stardust is still my favorite Gaiman novel though.

Stardust is on my list nex to pick up. I am really glad I picked up the 10th anniversary edition.