• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attention eBay experts out there: help please?

29 posts in this topic

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this, for I am stumped! Have been in communication with eBay, but (what a surprise), no help.

Bought a new scanner (Canon LiDE 110), scanned some books, both front and back covers, try to upload on the eBay seller page, and something crazy happens. The back cover images upload successfully, but the fronts say they upload, but the actual image in the upload image screen is blank! Crazy, right?

The image resolution on each are very similar (2516 X 3496), but it simply will not accept front cover images. There are no error messages.

Have been buying and selling for 10 years now, so I don't think I'm nuts. Leads me to think the scanner is has a personality all it's own, but back cover only?

Anyone heard of this? Thanks!

How many comics are you talking about? And why are the images so big? I could see the uploader choking on huge files, and if it's only a few comics it's probably just coincidence that the back cover scans worked while the fronts didn't.

Try cutting the images in half, see if they upload.

O, and I assume they're jpgs?

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this, for I am stumped! Have been in communication with eBay, but (what a surprise), no help.

Bought a new scanner (Canon LiDE 110), scanned some books, both front and back covers, try to upload on the eBay seller page, and something crazy happens. The back cover images upload successfully, but the fronts say they upload, but the actual image in the upload image screen is blank! Crazy, right?

The image resolution on each are very similar (2516 X 3496), but it simply will not accept front cover images. There are no error messages.

Have been buying and selling for 10 years now, so I don't think I'm nuts. Leads me to think the scanner is has a personality all it's own, but back cover only?

Anyone heard of this? Thanks!

Images are probably too big, that's happened to me before, and it seems to be random or a few jpegs can make a differerence. You can upload to Photobucket and use the links from there, or just make them smaller and I Know it's a pain but good luck!.

First, sorry, but I do not know how to copy/paste a previous reply. As to the first reply, I thought maybe it's a coincident also. So I did some additional scan, threw them on my desktop for easy access, same result. Back covers, yep! Front, not so much!

By "cutting in half", I assume you mean lower res? I will certainly give that a go! And yep, they are jpgs.

First, sorry, but I do not know how to copy/paste a previous reply. As to the first reply, I thought maybe it's a coincident also. So I did some additional scan, threw them on my desktop for easy access, same result. Back covers, yep! Front, not so much!

By "cutting in half", I assume you mean lower res? I will certainly give that a go! And yep, they are jpgs.

Yes, by reducing the file size you should have better luck. You can achieve this by a combination of reducing the overall resolution, usually the default is pretty high, and making the overall dimensions smaller (i.e. down around 600x480). It just might be back cover images contain less information than front cover images due the complexity of the image itself. Last, I'm assuming you checked the files on your computer first and didn't have any issues before uploading :)

Click the 'Quote' button in the lower right of a post to quote it for a reply. And yes, I meant reduce the resolution considerably. skypinkblu's suggestion of using Photobucket sounds good too.

Giving it a shot here; don't laugh (too hard) if I screw it up!

An easy way to make them smaller (if you are in windows 7) is to open the picture in Paint, (Go to your library, open the picture, hit the drop down box on the far right, click paint)change the size to 75% (or 50% as Speedy suggested) hit save and then try uploading.

I'm technologically challenged next to most of the forum;) so if I can do it, it's easy...

Yes, by reducing the file size you should have better luck. You can achieve this by a combination of reducing the overall resolution, usually the default is pretty high, and making the overall dimensions smaller (i.e. down around 600x480). It just might be back cover images contain less information than front cover images due the complexity of the image itself. Last, I'm assuming you checked the files on your computer first and didn't have any issues before uploading :)

Yes, I did check the files; no issues. In retrospect, don't know why I didn't think about the file size as the cause....

So, thank you all for the help!

1. Reduce file size

2. Gonna go check out photobucket!

3. You guys are awesome!

Click the 'Quote' button in the lower right of a post to quote it for a reply. And yes, I meant reduce the resolution considerably. skypinkblu's suggestion of using Photobucket sounds good too.

Perfect! (thumbs u

Ebay only allows a small amount of pixels for those uploaded preview pictures....so I put my bigger ones in the text by uploading them to photobucket and then I paste them into the HTML page. It allows people to see bigger pictures of what you are selling...takes longer, but it works well.

Pretty sure back covers take less memory than fronts because there is less color to them, so yeah they are likely too large.

A white pixel takes up as much storage space as any other colored pixel. The colors the scanner is representing has no effect on the image size.

Pretty sure back covers take less memory than fronts because there is less color to them, so yeah they are likely too large.

A white pixel takes up as much storage space as any other colored pixel. The colors the scanner is representing has no effect on the image size.

So what accounts for the difference in size?

I just checked a bunch of my scans and there is a definite difference between a colorful front cover and a "white" back cover.

The front cover is slightly (but consistently) larger in all of my scans that I've checked.

So what accounts for the difference in size?

I just checked a bunch of my scans and there is a definite difference between a colorful front cover and a "white" back cover.

The front cover is slightly (but consistently) larger in all of my scans that I've checked.

I agree; I just checked my images, and that holds true for me also.

Although my statement is true, a back cover with lots of white areas may be smaller in size due to JPG compression.

Although my statement is true, a back cover with lots of white areas may be smaller in size due to JPG compression.

(thumbs u

Knew it was true (what I said) just didn't know why.

So the white areas get compressed simply because the software assumes it won't make a difference to the viewer?

Do all large expanses of color get compressed or just the white areas?

(thumbs u

So the white areas get compressed simply because the software assumes it won't make a difference to the viewer?

All large blocks of color are compressed, doesn't matter if its black, white, green, etc. The back covers usually have less going on, so there aren't as many color changes. No need to store 30 pixels of white as 30 separate pixels, when a white vector of length 30 would do the same thing.

Perfect! (thumbs u

Ebay only allows a small amount of pixels for those uploaded preview pictures....so I put my bigger ones in the text by uploading them to photobucket and then I paste them into the HTML page. It allows people to see bigger pictures of what you are selling...takes longer, but it works well.

Yep, that's the way I do it too. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

All large blocks of color are compressed, doesn't matter if its black, white, green, etc. The back covers usually have less going on, so there aren't as many color changes. No need to store 30 pixels of white as 30 separate pixels, when a white vector of length 30 would do the same thing.

Makes sense, so any cover with a large expanse of one color will have that area condensed. In this case it just happens to be white back covers for the most part.

Thanks for explaining that!

(thumbs u