• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard to Believe: After all these years, no Kaluta thread?

137 posts in this topic

The Shadow Knows Comics!

Who knows what collecting desires lurk in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!

Recently a CGC-certified, qualified 9.8 copy of the Shadow #1 sold for $2,500. This copy was autographed by the artist Michael Wm. Kaluta. Jason McKibbin of Adventure Into Comics in Orlando, Florida handled this amazing transaction. A well-known individual in the music industry reportedly was the purchaser.

"The Shadow is a great book and the colors on the cover make it difficult in high grade," said Steve Borock, CGC's Primary Grader. "This was a book that had great stories and was well read by many collectors. The book is also one of the books that was not treated well and numerous copies ended up in quarter bins with little or no care for the condition of the books."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember working one day and a call comes in, it's Michael Wm. Kaluta and he instructs me to put Michael Wm. Kaluta on alla CGC comic submissions text instead of Michael Kaluta or Michael W. Kaluta or whatever various combinations, I was pretty star struck for a moment it was nice he is a sweet dude

I find this hard to believe. The article and price is so strange.

The book (Shadow 1) is as common as dirt and goes for a 10th of that at most. I remember seeing large stacks of ultra high grade copies at cons for years. I still have 1 or 2 myself. The census has over 70 copies in 9.8 The last qualified signed copy 9.8 went for $175.

With little trouble you can still pick them up for around $30 in very high grade.

This one, maybe?

Carson of Venus is special to me. It was the first ERB series that I read and I was hooked. Went on to John Carter and so many more.

DC+Korak+050-17.jpg

:headbang: This is top 3, but seems there was another. It has been a few years since I read them... perhaps it is time again :idea: