• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF!!!!!!

235 posts in this topic

JEEPERS!

hey banner, i got my books today, they are BEAUTIFUL, no 9" creases at all on those NM's 893applaud-thumb.gif

Let's have a peek, and yours too Sterling! confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure, I have two more books to bid b4 I wrap it up..Be happy to post it up when I get it. I haven't even paid him yet...

Thanks to Banner and a few others I am 3 issues away for a real HG run from 265-321. No slabs as I want to read these issues as well, the stories in HOM and HOS are really the prime attraction, as well as the cover art, the shadows and numerous dark covers make it hard to get HG copies. The SF WonderCon and San Diego will initiate my foray below 265, which is why its frustrating to see reddevil bid up even the raws, as I dont want them for submission, I want to read them, but also want them in HG. Gonna take my time with this run and hopefull the lunatics will be done so I can get on with it. Personally I think that HOM and HOS are the best bang for the buck out there, In terms of story and art to price for BA, SA issues. Especially from a comic appreciation standpoint. I also think the market is insulated, excuse the pun from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (specs and flippers) to a large degree as there are not alot of slabs around, and there is little danger of movie speculation artificially driving up the $$$ for either series. So I guess even though there are a few nutsoids, its way fewer that what you have in the ASM, Batman and FF markets.

Thats suits me fine as Im just your average collector and love buying these things at $10-$40 a pop. Without any intention of selling.

Personally I think that HOM and HOS are the best bang for the buck out there, In terms of story and art to price for BA, SA issues. Especially from a comic appreciation standpoint. I also think the market is insulated, excuse the pun from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (specs and flippers) to a large degree as there are not alot of slabs around, and there is little danger of movie speculation artificially driving up the $$$ for either series. So I guess even though there are a few nutsoids, its way fewer that what you have in the ASM, Batman and FF markets.

Thats suits me fine as Im just your average collector and love buying these things at $10-$40 a pop. Without any intention of selling.

Don't forget the Unexpected. I am wanting to build an HG collection from about 140 up. I know the file is small but I have attached my original colour guide for #155. cloud9.gif

589a8c0255add_439737-unex155hc150kcolourart.jpg.49039f5074e16be66c9080573f91d7e5.jpg

I agree--those books, although not insanely priced, are insulated from most insane price fluctuations...until the bidding war starts. I agree--great reading--that's why I have HG copies for 'collection' sake and then reader copies to 'enjoy' the book.

Also, never say never on the movie thing. We did see 'Tales from the Crypt' and the old 70's 'Vault of Horror' movies. Who knows? It would be kinda cool to see Cain and Abel battle it out on the big screen....

and then, we can cash in $$$ insane.gif

In Nick's defense, there was a time when he did not overgrade books. He got on a 100 page run, I especially remember the Unexpected's he advertised as at least "9.4". They sold in the $40 to $70 range, I bought what I needed, and was very happy. There was also a time he forgot to put a reserve on a CGC 9.4 graded HOM 210, which I was amazed to get for $29.

Later he appeared to get a little greedy, and all of a sudden everything was a "9.6" or "9.8". That was when he started overgrading almost everything.

redf1shing has been a customer of his for a long time. When I bought my HOM 224 CGC 9.6, I believe it was redf1shing who e-mailed me and offered me 3 times what I paid for it.

Also, Nick is a big fan of Ken Kelly, and has some very nice stuff of his.

Also, never say never on the movie thing. We did see 'Tales from the Crypt' and the old 70's 'Vault of Horror' movies. Who knows? It would be kinda cool to see Cain and Abel battle it out on the big screen....

and then, we can cash in $$$ insane.gif

Cash in?? I dont sell stuff like that. I mean if it was useless tripe like DC 100 pagers stooges.gif no problem rip off the highest bidder - No, Greggy don't hit me again I'm sorry, no anything but the short shorts 8_4_102.gif

I remember that HOM 210....if I recall he had listed it like 10 times with a high reserve/BIN...so he was just sick of listing it.

If I had not already acquired a copy I would've been all over it.

Looks like I missed Nick's early run...sounds like I'm missing some good stuff out there...

HOM 224 CGC 9.6 huh? Drool....

Hey Jbud, i am VERY interested in knowing what 3 you have left & which ones took the longest for you. I have suspicions about certain issues scarcity i'd love more info on. I agree with a lot of your feelings on the series, and there are many great issues ahead for you!

OH, Banner, i meant the books i got from you! 893applaud-thumb.gif They were all really nice copies and your grading was sharp as ever.

Thats heckuva collection Sterling! i at one point was trying to do 1-321, but gave up a long time ago. Some of the early ones are really tough even in good! if only i never sold my first collection of high grade bronze in the early 90's...... 893frustrated.gif

Matthew, which books did you get from Mike? Curious...

From my perspective, the HOM 25centers are kinda hard(234-237) --I don't see those around that often, especially the Wrightson cover (236). Of course the 100pagers aren't hard to find....unless you are looking for high grade. I have tons of the $1 books in the 252-259 range--EXCEPT for 256 (yet another Wrightson cover with the Pumpkin from SOHH #5)--I found my first one recently and it was only a 9.2. 217 and 220 elude me from a high grade perspective... 893blahblah.gif If we keep this up we will need a section just for horror... 893applaud-thumb.gif

I bought a "NM+" Cap 117 for $150, which is much closer to a VF+. I didn't want to bad-mouth him before, because I never contacted him about it. But if anyone was planning on buying books from him, don't bid like these luntatics did.

I bought a "NM+" Cap 117 for $150, which is much closer to a VF+. I didn't want to bad-mouth him before, because I never contacted him about it. But if anyone was planning on buying books from him, don't bid like these luntatics did.

I'm assuming you're talking about Little Nicky? devil.gif

OK, you guys have got me goin' now. I'm gonna have to start gettin' some of my DC Bronze horror books slabbed. Only problem is that many of them, like the good Wrightson covers are pre '75. Meaning that I will have to go the CGG route for $14 and three weeks instead of the CGC route for $23.20 (after discount) and three months. What do ya' think? CGG route or CGC route? I believe most of my better books (HOM scattered 201-230 for example) are in the 8.5 to 9.2 range. Anything I have after '75 is a no-brainer for CGC modern. -----Sid

I bought another book from his last year that was just as over-graded and he allowed me to return it...at that time, others here mentioned that they were happy with his grading so I thought I'd try again. I'd be curious to see the accurately graded books you guys say you got from him!

The seller is, how should i put this, very generous 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, on his grading. About a year ago I bought about 5 copies of Swamp Thing #1 from different sellers. The one I got from Nick cost the most ($90.00) and came back the lowest graded 893naughty-thumb.gif, his "NM" came back slabbed 8.5. On the plus side the cheapest ($35.00) came back a 9.4 grin.gif

So the moral of this is, being a Greek myself, better to have a Greek in front of you than behind 27_laughing.gif