• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Milgrom

120 posts in this topic

What is all the hate towards Al Milgrom about? Lately I have seen many complain about his artwork. I don't think he is all that bad! There are far worst Bronze/Copper age artists out there, far worst. I don't think Milgrom is all that bad and liked his work on Spidey when he did Spidey, many Peter Parker comics if I remember correctly.

Ohh, don't get me started...

The name Al Milgrom signifies the decline of the American comic book. His work during the 1980s was just awful. It became clear that Marvel Comics was just resting on past laurels and churning out to get comics on the newsstand quickly. Most storylines and art were devoid of any integrity or talent.

I mean, just look at this . Does this make you want to spend your 75 cents?

Milgrom can’t even be bothered to draw a background, let alone characters with proportion:

Milgrom-WCA16.jpg

The sunburst lines evoke Neal Adams' cover on Superman #233:

Milgrom-WCA25.jpg

Classic cover:

milgrom-hulk271.jpg

Milgrom is a regular Escher. Is Kingpin in front or behind? Is Punisher crapping over 5th Avenue?

Milgrom-PPSSM82.jpg

For those of you who say Milgrom worked best as an inker, think again:

milgrom-hulk287.jpg

Ohh, don't get me started...

The name Al Milgrom signifies the decline of the American comic book. His work during the 1980s was just awful. It became clear that Marvel Comics was just resting on past laurels and churning out to get comics on the newsstand quickly. Most storylines and art were devoid of any integrity or talent.

I mean, just look at this . Does this make you want to spend your 75 cents?

Milgrom cant even be bothered to draw a background, let alone characters with proportion:

Milgrom-WCA16.jpg

The sunburst lines evoke Neal Adams' cover on Superman #233:

Milgrom-WCA25.jpg

Classic cover:

milgrom-hulk271.jpg

Milgrom is a regular Escher. Is Kingpin in front or behind? Is Punisher crapping over 5th Avenue?

Milgrom-PPSSM82.jpg

For those of you who say Milgrom worked best as an inker, think again:

milgrom-hulk287.jpg

Your examples do blow......I remember enjoying his work but was 20 years younger. I thought his Black Cat was hot, but again 20 years younger.... :sorry:

Milgrom is certainly in the top five worst artists of all time. Go look at his West Coast Avengers work and tell me that a blind arthritic chimp under attack from a cattle prod couldn't do better. :/

I really dislike condemning talent publicly but I must admit Milgrom was :sick: for me.

Who were the other four in your top worst five, Nick?

Liefeld?

Robbins?

West Coast Avengers was a title I bought religiously up to issue 50 or so when I was a kid. The stories would go from really good to mediocre but there was always one thing you could count on and that was crappy art.

I hated the art in that book...but I liked all the characters so I couldn't give it up...I thought the book deserved better.

It finally got better when Byrne came along.

Milgrom is certainly in the top five worst artists of all time. Go look at his West Coast Avengers work and tell me that a blind arthritic chimp under attack from a cattle prod couldn't do better. :/

I really dislike condemning talent publicly but I must admit Milgrom was :sick: for me.

Liefeld?

Robbins?

Robbins, definitely, Liefeld probably.

Wouldn't it be more fun to talk about real talent like Anthony Castrillo? (shrug)

Who?

I'm guessing you are not serious. Ha Ha.

But if you are, go the the Signature Room thread, then to Anthony Castrillo Updates.

His art is amazing.

Yeah, just playing. Here's one of mine:

mystery_in_space_66_castrillo_sm.jpg

Liefeld?

Robbins?

While I agree it is in poor taste to make fun of the man's craft in a public forum, I figure that he got paid to put out the schlock that he did. Hey, if you’re charging admission to the game, the quarterback had better come out and play, and at least have a little talent.

Within five years (1977-1982), the price of comics doubled while the quality plummeted. At this time, Milgrom was hitting his stride. I was cynical even as a kid. The man took away some of the joy. Long live Al Milgrom.

Here's another stinker, Frank Springer. :sick:

dazzler_024.jpg

I always considered Milgrtom to be an average but highly productive artist. It seemed like he drew virtually everything for Marvel at one time during the 80s. His work was average but lord knows there were plenty of significantly crappier artists running around. They just didn't have the level of productivity that Marvel preferred so they got the boot and Milgrom drew their books, too.

I always considered Milgrtom to be an average but highly productive artist. It seemed like he drew virtually everything for Marvel at one time during the 80s. His work was average but lord knows there were plenty of significantly crappier artists running around. They just didn't have the level of productivity that Marvel preferred so they got the boot and Milgrom drew their books, too.
I agree, his artwork wasnt all that great and occasionally stunk, but he was churning out a ton of material. He still a great artist, some of his recent commissions via par2ch were very nice i thought.

these are cover recreations that Al did for me several years ago from PPSSM #76 & 77. Pencils and inks and lettering all by Milgrom....I think he can still bring it when he wants to. I will agree that there was alot of swill back in the 80s but here and there he hit one out of the park.

I still have the 1st one framed and on my office wall.

peter_parker.jpg

PPSS77cover.jpg