• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Milgrom

120 posts in this topic

I'd like to add Frank Quietly and Humberto Ramos to the list of top 5 most horrible artists.

This list is going to be quite lengthy.

:slapfight: quitely is a wonderful artist! The only thing that got me to buy xmen again was his work with morrisson.

Hey, Emma! What's in your pants?

emma-frost-frank-quitely-headshot.jpg

TheCollector and LBJarm: While I certainly respect your opinions, that argument makes no sense whatsoever. Since those of us complaining are not paid professional artists, whether we can draw or not is irrelevant. That's like having a doctor botch your operation and arguing..."give him a break, could YOU remove that cyst any better?" :makepoint:

Yes, that's a ridiculous comparison but I think you can see my point. The "can you do better?" type comments are completely illogical, particularly when you're discussing the quality of work for a paid professional.

Now...should we trash a comic creator in a public forum? You may have a point there and I do feel bad, I just really didn't care for Milgrom's work. Perhaps deadlines and other factors did contribute...but sheesh, the guy was getting paid to crank out stuff that sure looked rushed.

Sprang was one of the very best! I love his work. I collect it in reprint. He also has the greatest name of any comic book artist tied only with Rodney Dunn and Eric Shanower.

Trimpe lacked the subtle line that many Marvel artists produced but he was a great story teller. When he was inked by Severin his work was not only exciting but beautiful.

George Tuska was one of the best in the 1950's. When I was a kid reading him in the late '60's I found his mouths very distracting. His style didn't really work when his texturing were taken away. The books he was best known for were not him at his peak.

When Kirby was at his best, I thought the only two people who could even come close in telling a superhero story were Sekowsky and Andru. Kane and Infantino had beautiful surfaces but there story telling didn't equal that of Sekowsky or Andru.

Anyway, I know I am being a contrarian here but I believe what I am saying. There are many ways to judge artists. Guys like Frank Robbins didn't do pretty work but there were reasons that they were hired. Frank Springer did work for National Lampoon that couldn't be equalled by Frank Miller if he lived to be a hundred.

I took a workshop once with Darwyn Cooke. He compared drawing for the big companies to being a pro hockey player, saying that there are not that many positions available and the big companies get to pick and choose who they want. You can be a very good artist and still not be chosen by the big companies. I will extend the hockey analogy. Sometimes a hockey player may not score too many goals but he might be a defensive forward, or coming off an injury, or an inforcer, or the guy who sets up the big player, or a guy in last season, or a guy just starting out... I think anyone can get the idea. I have seen few big time pro comic artists that don't deserve to be there (though I have seen one or two and wondered how they landed the jobs).

As for Milgrom, they eventually trusted him enough to give him an editorial post. One friend who worked for him spoke very highly of his judgement and interpersonal skills (never mentioning his artwork).

Comics is such a hard business to work in that ALMOST anyone who can make their living doing it has my respect.

TheCollector and LBJarm: While I certainly respect your opinions, that argument makes no sense whatsoever. Since those of us complaining are not paid professional artists, whether we can draw or not is irrelevant. That's like having a doctor botch your operation and arguing..."give him a break, could YOU remove that cyst any better?" :makepoint:

Yes, that's a ridiculous comparison but I think you can see my point. The "can you do better?" type comments are completely illogical, particularly when you're discussing the quality of work for a paid professional.

Now...should we trash a comic creator in a public forum? You may have a point there and I do feel bad, I just really didn't care for Milgrom's work. Perhaps deadlines and other factors did contribute...but sheesh, the guy was getting paid to crank out stuff that sure looked rushed.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Sprang was one of the very best! I love his work. I collect it in reprint. He also has the greatest name of any comic book artist tied only with Rodney Dunn and Eric Shanower.

Trimpe lacked the subtle line that many Marvel artists produced but he was a great story teller. When he was inked by Severin his work was not only exciting but beautiful.

George Tuska was one of the best in the 1950's. When I was a kid reading him in the late '60's I found his mouths very distracting. His style didn't really work when his texturing were taken away. The books he was best known for were not him at his peak.

When Kirby was at his best, I thought the only two people who could even come close in telling a superhero story were Sekowsky and Andru. Kane and Infantino had beautiful surfaces but there story telling didn't equal that of Sekowsky or Andru.

Anyway, I know I am being a contrarian here but I believe what I am saying. There are many ways to judge artists. Guys like Frank Robbins didn't do pretty work but there were reasons that they were hired. Frank Springer did work for National Lampoon that couldn't be equalled by Frank Miller if he lived to be a hundred.

I took a workshop once with Darwyn Cooke. He compared drawing for the big companies to being a pro hockey player, saying that there are not that many positions available and the big companies get to pick and choose who they want. You can be a very good artist and still not be chosen by the big companies. I will extend the hockey analogy. Sometimes a hockey player may not score too many goals but he might be a defensive forward, or coming off an injury, or an inforcer, or the guy who sets up the big player, or a guy in last season, or a guy just starting out... I think anyone can get the idea. I have seen few big time pro comic artists that don't deserve to be there (though I have seen one or two and wondered how they landed the jobs).

As for Milgrom, they eventually trusted him enough to give him an editorial post. One friend who worked for him spoke very highly of his judgement and interpersonal skills (never mentioning his artwork).

Comics is such a hard business to work in that ALMOST anyone who can make their living doing it has my respect.

Well said.

I would imagine that any major company would retain the guy who will meet the deadlines over the one who won't. Milgrom's worst work was still adequate for the medium and being able to not only meet his own deadlines but those of others gives him a good bit of leeway on quality. Still, art appreciation is always personal so to each his own.

I'd like to add Frank Quietly and Humberto Ramos to the list of top 5 most horrible artists.

:slapfight: quitely is a wonderful artist! The only thing that got me to buy xmen again was his work with morrisson.

:gossip: If anyone's to blame for that surprise package it's the colorist.

Why? What color do you prefer your packages to be?

Why? What color do you prefer your packages to be?

lol

I'd make a rimshot joke, but that's just adding gas to the fire.

Well played.

You guys remind me of when I go to the strip club with my friend Guido. I'll be like, "look at that babe" and he'll be like "she's not doing it for me." He's looking for the one, the one that will get a rise in him. I'm like, I get a rise from all of them. His standards are so high that he can't see the beauty in anyone.

:applause:

a plump labia

Exactly what I was going to say. The colorist made it bulge too much. At any rate, it is pretty hard to deny Quitely is very skilled even if you are not fond of his personal style quirks.

Exactly what I was going to say. The colorist made it bulge too much. At any rate, it is pretty hard to deny Quitely is very skilled even if you are not fond of his personal style quirks.

Nope. Still looks like a in her pants to me. :screwy:

109948.jpg.600f955d13475825a773f63a0ce96f3c.jpg

Modern coloring can seriously change a drawing.

I'm right there with you man, I think Quitely great.

meh

Let's say for the sake of argument that you lived in a black and white world where no color or shadow existed, and you're making out with a chick you just met. All of a sudden you look down between her legs and see that.

Do you...

A) Keep on making out hoping she'll want you to pleasure that bulge in her pants.

B) Stop and make a polite excuse to get the hell out of there.

C) Punch him in the face.