• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

I would say the high 5 figures is a slam dunk. I will go out on the limb and say $85k. I think it is a great splash but if you said this splash or the Spiderman cover Gene just bought plus the remaining cash, I would take the Spiderman cover and cash. My favorite splash from the series is the one with Bruce Wayne all scarred up.

Query: Can't tell that well from the scan, but is that white out on Batman's cowl?

I've got a larger scan and yes, that's whiteout on the cowl. There's also whiteout on Robin's cape and boots.

On top of that, I just don't love Janson's inking on the book for the most part. That includes a page I own. It is what it is.

However, none of that will make any difference to those going after this. I wasn't surprised by the high number for a DKR page at yesterday's auction, but was surprised for THAT page. A page with several Janson panels, instead of the published Miller panels. If that didn't lessen any of the pent-up demand for a DKR example, neither will some whiteout.

Query: Can't tell that well from the scan, but is that white out on Batman's cowl?

I've got a larger scan and yes, that's whiteout on the cowl. There's also whiteout on Robin's cape and boots.

On top of that, I just don't love Janson's inking on the book for the most part. That includes a page I own. It is what it is.

However, none of that will make any difference to those going after this. I wasn't surprised by the high number for a DKR page at yesterday's auction, but was surprised for THAT page. A page with several Janson panels, instead of the published Miller panels. If that didn't lessen any of the pent-up demand for a DKR example, neither will some whiteout.

Sorry, I don't get what that means. Did Janson do some of the pencils too?

The floor for this piece will be $100K. My hunch is that $100K will be Heritage's estimate on this and it may even be backstopped by them at that number. That's already a record for any US comic interior as far as I can recall. Doubling that to $200K is going to be a real stretch. I also have a hard time seeing it. I also don't know if an ACTION #1 2.0 is a better investment (it might be), but I do agree that the DKR market is almost entirely nostalgia-driven. (I know that could be said for the majority of OA.) Personally, I'd much rather have this splash over an ACTION #1 2.0, but also realize that's strictly because of nostalgia.

No, Miller re-inked certain panels by Janson. In many cases, he retraced the panels with tissue paper, and stats were made to cover up Janson's original inks. So the published version doesn't always mesh with the OA.

Compare the page that sold on Heritage with the published page in your TPB. Heritage was upfront about the difference. It's pretty common, especially in issue #3. As it turned out, the page still got bid up, as if the re-inked panels didn't matter. That was the most surprising aspect of the auction result to me.

No, Miller re-inked certain panels by Janson. In many cases, he retraced the panels with tissue paper, and stats were made to cover up Janson's original inks. So the published version doesn't always mesh with the OA.

Yes, Felix, this is really interesting and I'd love clarification as well. My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I believe that Miller and Janson had a falling out around issue #3 and Miller actually redid entire pages where he did the pencils and inks. I knew that there were pages that had stated panels but wasn't exactly clear why. I know some panels were redone because they were deemed too graphic (like with the page that you own). Am I remembering correctly then, that there are some pages from issue #3 where there are actually two existing versions of the same page - one by Miller/Janson and one by Miller? I've seen a few pages from #3 that were all Miller. And subsequently, did Miller pencil and ink all of #4 or did Janson ink those as well?

It's a spectacular page.

This auction will have non comic OA fans perplexed. People want to pay how much for a picture of Batman and a female Robin? It's not even drawn that well and has white out all over it. There are certainly better artists out there that can lay out and draw a better splash page.

However, Miller's fan following is based on his storytelling and sequential art. As the 25th anniversary of the title kicks in, the rule of "25" certainly applies to this splash. Nostalgia will be at an all time high. The seller is absolutely picking the right time to sell.

Good luck to the seller and all potential bidders.

Cheers!

N.

I have to say, for what it is it's pretty unimpressive.

I'm sure it will go for a ton, but artistically it does nothing for me. Nothing dramatic about it.

I can't believe someone said that aloud. (tsk)

I have said it aloud on the message board more than once. I hate both the story and art from DKR. I gave my copy of the TPB to a friend at college, as I knew I would never read it again. Different strokes for different folks. I was wondering the other night what will happen to things like DKR and Watchmen, as a lot of people with the big money to spend were growing up on this stuff and currently have the money to throw around today. I don't know if stuff like this or even ally of comic art will fare as well with a new generation that will inevitably come along.

Yes, Felix, this is really interesting and I'd love clarification as well. My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I believe that Miller and Janson had a falling out around issue #3 and Miller actually redid entire pages where he did the pencils and inks. I knew that there were pages that had stated panels but wasn't exactly clear why. I know some panels were redone because they were deemed too graphic (like with the page that you own). Am I remembering correctly then, that there are some pages from issue #3 where there are actually two existing versions of the same page - one by Miller/Janson and one by Miller? I've seen a few pages from #3 that were all Miller. And subsequently, did Miller pencil and ink all of #4 or did Janson ink those as well?

As I understand it, Miller was pissed off because he found out Klaus had a bunch of other artists inking parts of the book for him.

Here is a great link many of you will enjoy (audio link)

INKING ASSIST

can you post the larger scan please ?

I'm sure it will go for a ton, but artistically it does nothing for me. Nothing dramatic about it.

I have said it aloud on the message board more than once. I hate both the story and art from DKR. I gave my copy of the TPB to a friend at college, as I knew I would never read it again. Different strokes for different folks. I was wondering the other night what will happen to things like DKR and Watchmen, as a lot of people with the big money to spend were growing up on this stuff and currently have the money to throw around today. I don't know if stuff like this or even ally of comic art will fare as well with a new generation that will inevitably come along.

New generatioins will collect what they like (and remember), but we 80s collectors will remain in the 80s. Whether prices go up or down is irrelevant to many of us, as the intrinsic value of the page remains the same from a nostalgic standpoint, and in fact may actually escalate as we get older. I'm looking forward to being 80 years old and holding my art from the 80s and feeling how priceless it is to me, regardless of whether the open market at that time calls it worthless. This is the nature of a hobby or keepsake; your concerns arise out of this being a collectible or investment.

I'm with Dem, the Action #1 in lower gade is a better long term investment. I have always felt that the best investments in most, if not all collectible's, is the stuff that is the most well known throughout the world. First appearance of Superman trumps a 1980's Frank Miller page. If your talking to an outsider, what is going to impress them more? What are they going to understand as being more important? You say I have the first apperance of Superman, the original first comic, from 1938, the first comic that Superman ever was in. Then you say I own a Frank Miller Batman 1980's Dark Knight original art page. The first, no need to say anything more. The second, you have to take about 3-4 minutes to explain the significance.

All things being equal, I would take a early GA Batman splash over a atomic age splash, and a atomic age over a SA splash. That being said, if I thought the price of this splash were "reasonable", lets say around 70K, I would be a bidder for it. But I do think it goes up to upper 5, lower 6 fiqures. The piece is gourgous, no doubt, and would be something to behold in person. Also, in the long term, Millers DK art is only going up, so not a bad LT investment either.

New generatioins will collect what they like (and remember), but we 80s collectors will remain in the 80s. Whether prices go up or down is irrelevant to many of us, as the intrinsic value of the page remains the same from a nostalgic standpoint, and in fact may actually escalate as we get older. I'm looking forward to being 80 years old and holding my art from the 80s and feeling how priceless it is to me, regardless of whether the open market at that time calls it worthless. This is the nature of a hobby or keepsake; your concerns arise out of this being a collectible or investment.

It just seems like there are very few people who keep or continue to collect this type of stuff past the age of 60. It seems like most will unload their stuff by retirement age even if they thought years ago they would keep it till the day they die.

It just seems like there are very few people who keep or continue to collect this type of stuff past the age of 60. It seems like most will unload their stuff by retirement age even if they thought years ago they would keep it till the day they die.

I'm not sure you can say that just yet, as this is a young hobby still. You cannot predict what those in their 60s would do until you get the first "generation" of OA hobbyists reaching that age. The OA craziness started with those collecting 70s and then 80s art. I think you have to wait until that generation hits their 60s in age to see what happens. I actually suspect that some will sell (if they need the money), but many would just hold onto it. Personally, I can't see selling any of the "good stuff" unless I have duplicates.

Hari