• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolland Grail

31 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Picked this up a little while ago, but never posted it. This is a photo from my blackberry, so apologies about the fuzzy image. Needless to say it's spectacular in person!

My favorite vintage Bolland piece of all-time!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=732746&GSub=110759

Hari

Outstanding Hari! Always nice to hear when people get that one special piece that represents what this hobby personally means to them. Congrats!

I always wonder, when a collector gets a piece of this much personal significance, does it take the wind out your sail in acquiring more art, either long term or short term? Or does it remind you about what got you into this mania in the first place and inspire you to acquire more, more, more? Or does it make you only attracted to art of a similar caliber, and lessen the appeal of any and all lower end art?

Yes, these are the things I think about sometimes. Idle minds and all that I guess...

Scott Williams

Hari, do you know if he did a finished pen and ink piece for this image and then copied off that to paint or did be just go all out for the painting?

Hi,

There is a pen/ink version in the Brian Bolland art book that came out a couple years ago, but not sure where that is. This was, of course, the final piece that Bolland oftetimes references as the piece he himself wouldn't change one thing on, even in retrospect.

I would tend to agree! Absolutely perfect in concept and execution!

Hari

Outstanding Hari! Always nice to hear when people get that one special piece that represents what this hobby personally means to them. Congrats!

I always wonder, when a collector gets a piece of this much personal significance, does it take the wind out your sail in acquiring more art, either long term or short term? Or does it remind you about what got you into this mania in the first place and inspire you to acquire more, more, more? Or does it make you only attracted to art of a similar caliber, and lessen the appeal of any and all lower end art?

Yes, these are the things I think about sometimes. Idle minds and all that I guess...

Scott Williams

Hi Scott,

Great questions. In general, I've been content with my collection for several years now. Those of you who've been in the hobby a while know that my collection on CAF is less than 10% of what I own, and many of the best examples are not posted (out of a lack of time, primarily). I think it's human nature to stop and smell the roses a bit when something of this caliber enters the collection, so yeah a short-term pause occurs more out of reflection than out of a sense of being "done." This being said, I did just pick up another stunner from a different era, and wiill post that soon. Not a personal Grail, like this one, but very nice nonetheless.

As for only going for things of a certain caliber, that's not my style. My collection is mainly nostalgia-driven, as well as the story arcs from each and any era I loved (or came to love), and hence there is plenty of art on the cheaper side that I like and continue to acquire. I may not get around to posting the "lesser" stuff, but I still acquire it. An example recently is I bought 7 pages of early Elementals art from my buddy Chuck Costas. Cheap by comparison, but similarly brings a smile to my face when I look at them (regardless of value!).

Anyway, that's been my experience. So, I ain't goin' anywhere! The only thing that's limited my presence in the hobby of late has been life (2 year old at home!) and work (still trying to find a way to work more than 24 hours in a single day!).

Hari