• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Hound for iPhone

43 posts in this topic

[Caveat: Blatant promotion below]

I wanted a comic want list app for my iPhone and no one had made one so I decided to make one myself. It's called Comic Hound and went live in the app store this evening.

With Comic Hound, you can list the titles you're looking for in any order you want. You're not limited to alphabetical, which means you can put Spider-Man before Batman and Walking Dead somewhere in the middle. Within the title, individual issues are sorted numerically and have fields for number and notes. The notes are used to distinguish variants, upgrades, artist, key, or whatever.

As the developer, I get a limited amount of promotional codes. I'd like to give away a few here. If you have an iPhone and would like to get Comic Hound for free, PM me. If you have a blog or comic site and can give me a review or mention, you get first crack at the codes. Otherwise, I'll hand them out as I get requests.

The icon, done by Michael Fleming:

Icon2x.png

Screenshots:

th_ComicHound3.jpg th_ComicHound6.jpg th_ComicHound2.jpg th_ComicHound4.jpg

The app is priced at 99 cents. Comic Hound in the app store.

[blatant promotion over. Thanks everyone.]

Is the wantlist populated from a searchable database or do we just create it ourselves?

Interesting idea but any comic collecting software is just a few keystrokes behind you if they don't already have it. Perhaps you should offer to make it for them.

Do you have a website with more info and a trial version?

I've never bought an app in my life so it won't even be seen by me if it don't have free beside it.

Looks good. Available in the UK?

Certainly is.

Just DL'd a copy to my iPhone so I can have a play with it whilst pretending to work in the office today.

I'll be happy to provide feedback once I get my head around it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but, really? A trial version for a $.99 app? C'mon...

Thanks for developing this software! I appreciate the free offer but I will gladly support your efforts by paying full retail for this. Off to the app store I go....

Is the wantlist populated from a searchable database or do we just create it ourselves?

Interesting idea but any comic collecting software is just a few keystrokes behind you if they don't already have it. Perhaps you should offer to make it for them.

I've never bought an app in my life so it won't even be seen by me if it don't have free beside it.

It's not populated by a database, but I made it easy to enter multiple issues. In "Add Title" screen, you enter a Title, a start number, and an end number. If you've already added a title, say Fantastic Four 1-100, you can add more by entering the same title and a new range of numbers. The app will check for duplicates. So if you add FF 1-100 then FF 95-201, the list will show 1-201. You can make unique duplicates at the issue by issue level. I found during testing if you have smallish gaps, it's easier to add a range then delete individual issues.

If you want a free copy, PM me and I'll send a promo code. That lets you download it for free.

Available for the Droid or just iPhone?

Only iPhone, but if anyone is a Droid developer and wants to make a version for it, I'd be happy to work with them.

Cool. Now I can throw away my stupid little purple notebook with the pages falling out! I'll splurge on the 99 cents and let you give freebies to the CGC cheapies.

I don't have an IPhone, so I don't know what your app does, but I thought I'd toss this out there...

The ability to also add books that are already in your inventory with grades, and if they are raw or slabbed.

A lot of people, along with their want list, also have a list of books they are always looking to upgrade.

Disregard if it already does this. :foryou:

This app seems cool for the price!

I kind of feel I should mention that, while more expensive, the collectorz app does indeed have a want list. This does though require you use the main software to export your collection but you can on the fly see a want list, plus all the grades of your current collection.

Very cool, wish this was available before I started using 'Notes' to maintain my lists.

Good luck, hope it sells well.

I was using notes for some of my lists and found it to be a bit of a hassle since iOS wanted to convert everything into urls or phone numbers.

In response to another post, I considered putting in a feature to have a photo of the book, but then rejected it. I wanted the app to be simple, direct, and easy to use as a want list. While photos would be appropriate for an inventory program, want lists generally don't have them.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but, really? A trial version for a $.99 app? C'mon...

Thanks for developing this software! I appreciate the free offer but I will gladly support your efforts by paying full retail for this. Off to the app store I go....

I'm just throwing out ideas and pointing out that there are those that choose free apps over paid apps of any price and its a different business model in the app store.

I'll wait and read your reviews here and see how it compares to the iphone wantlist I currently use.

I was using notes for some of my lists and found it to be a bit of a hassle since iOS wanted to convert everything into urls or phone numbers.

Oh man, what a pain the formatting is using notes. I've had to incorporate triple spaces between issue numbers to avoid the phonenumbers.

The one thing I like about just using notes is that I can manage the list from both my laptop and my phone... and I know that I'll always have backup copies through TimeMachine just in case I delete something or need to refer to older lists. I could live without the backups, but how about managing the list on the computer? Can we do that?

Looks good. Available in the UK?

Certainly is.

Just DL'd a copy to my iPhone so I can have a play with it whilst pretending to work in the office today.

I'll be happy to provide feedback once I get my head around it.

Had a play with it last night.

Good little app. Simple, easy to use and chuff-load easier than using Notes for list creation / management.

I recently considered getting Numbers for my iPad for this specific purpose so you have just saved my about £6.50

IMHO - £0.59 well spent.

Good work fella!!!