• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Age?

121 posts in this topic

I've always thought Chromium Age was more fitting for the '90's.

Denotes the greed and multiple covers that brought the industry to it's knees.

Sure, but these ages need to be a bit more "general public friendly" and even a knob understands what chrome is, and it's ultimate purpose.

One thing going for Chromium, is that it's toxic, just like the 1990's comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If the death of Gwen Stacey was the beginning of the Bronze Age...

You lost me at this point. 27_laughing.gif

Conan 1 for Marvel and GL/GA 76 for DC are the most logical and widely-held start points for the Bronze Age.

But I think Arnold has hinted before that ASM # 121 might be Overstreet's new age-defining book?

Is Overstreet trying to lose any and all industry respect? 893frustrated.gif

Even Stan and Gerry have stated that ASM 121 FOLLOWED an existing 1970's trend towards death, unpredictability and Marvel's heroes/villains actually killing, and that was basically the only way they got away with it.

i'd REALLY have trouble with asm121 as the beginning of the bronze age. The grim & more realistic style so trumped in that book was already done in GL76, CON1 & All Star Western #10. i really hope thats not going to be the new deciding factor.

i'd REALLY have trouble with asm121 as the beginning of the bronze age. The grim & more realistic style so trumped in that book was already done in GL76, CON1 & All Star Western #10. i really hope thats not going to be the new deciding factor.

I really hope this is a joke, as it would run counter to what Stan the F-ing Man Lee has to say about ASM 121.

But I think Arnold has hinted before that ASM # 121 might be Overstreet's new age-defining book?

Is Overstreet trying to lose any and all industry respect? 893frustrated.gif

Even Stan and Gerry have stated that ASM 121 FOLLOWED an existing 1970's trend towards death, unpredictability and Marvel's heroes/villains actually killing, and that was basically the only way they got away with it.

Arnold spoke about this in this thread, after a small hint was dropped (see pic) in the Overstreet Grading Guide.

comicbookages.JPG

Note that Arnold said "11/10/03 12:03 PM (# 25 of 169)

Ah, but I haven't necessarily said that Gwen's death is the "start" of the Bronze Age per se. It's more complicated than that. Stay tuned... smile.gif "

I knew this would turn into another "What book started the Bronze Age?' thread. 27_laughing.gif

You guys really don't want a list of 1970's characters, books and teams that were introduced prior to ASM 121.

Or as Luke Cage would say, "Sweet Christmas!" blush.gif

I disagree. The Ultimates line arguably saved Marvel's publishing arm, and with it, the comics publishing business as we know it.

But I do agree that we should not call the age "the Ultimate Age," for obvious reasons.

I vote for an "Ultimate Age" starting with USM #1 in 2000.

Why?

The Ultimate line of comics are really not that important in the grander scheme of things. Thats like calling comics from the mid-80's "New Universe Age". 27_laughing.gif

Rest assured that if you read the big Ages article in the #34 Guide, all will be clear as far as our theory on the transition into and out of the Bronze Age. Don't worry, there's no way AMZ #121 could be called the very start of the Bronze Age, it's too late for that. But it plays a role...

Arnold

I vote for an "Ultimate Age" starting with USM #1 in 2000.

Why?

The Ultimate line of comics are really not that important in the grander scheme of things. Thats like calling comics from the mid-80's "New Universe Age". 27_laughing.gif

It's 2004 and the #1 selling books for the past five years have been "Ultimate" books.

While they probably won't ALL make it to 2009... several will...

That will mean a whole decade of Ultimate-style books leading the sales...

Unless you're interested in calling a bunch of comic books the "Movie Age",

I can't think of a more appropriate way to classify the decade (so far).

It's 2004 and the #1 selling books for the past five years have been "Ultimate" books.

You meant this in general terms, right? You didn't mean that every month for the past 5 years an Ultimate book has been # 1 ordered book (highest print run) from Diamond? No, you couldn't have meant that...

Do you really want a comic series that is not even in the regular Marvel continuity to represent an entire age of comics? Do we call the late 70's/early 80's the "What If?" age? No, and for good reason. You Ultimate fans have to admit - none of those stories even "count". If DC had followed suit and done an Ultimate line, there might be some credence to the "Ultimate Age". But Marvel is just too chicken [!@#%^&^] to pull off a Crisis storyline.

Rest assured that if you read the big Ages article in the #34 Guide, all will be clear as far as our theory on the transition into and out of the Bronze Age. Don't worry, there's no way AMZ #121 could be called the very start of the Bronze Age, it's too late for that. But it plays a role...

Are you also going to add Ages or clarify the time after Bronze? A'la the hint in the Grading Guide?

Jim

Don't worry, there's no way AMZ #121 could be called the very start of the Bronze Age, it's too late for that. But it plays a role...

My faith in OS has been rekindled.

P.S., have you ever thought of asking Stan the Man what he thinks? That would at least give an idea on the Marvel side, which is where most of the action was in the early to mid-70's.