• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver or Golden Age Gem Should I Build A War Chest For?

109 posts in this topic

Hulk 1 seems to be on the fast track. 5K will get you a nice Cap 16, Superman 53, Batman 47, Sub-mariner 32, Action 158, Batman 62, Superman 76, More Fun 101, OAAW 83, World's Finest 71, Action 242, Detective 140, Detective 58, or All American 61. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hulk 1 seems to be on the fast track. 5K will get you a nice Cap 16, Superman 53, Batman 47, Sub-mariner 32, Action 158, Batman 62, Superman 76, More Fun 101, OAAW 83, World's Finest 71, Action 242, Detective 140, Detective 58, or All American 61. GOD BLESS...

Superman 53, 76 and Action 242 are going on the list.

Superman 53, 76 and Action 242 are going on the list.

If you've never owned a Superman 53, the insides are awesome...I'd find a tightly graded slabbed copy and pop that sucka....or get a reader to go with it. With 5K, you can get high grade on that one. I narrowly missed out on a CGC 9.0 (SP) with only the cover cleaned....very reasonable. GOD BLESS...

I would like to offer one bit of advice if you buy a Golden-age book. Some of the books offered I feel are too readily available. I would do some research to find out which books tend to be scarcer in the marketplace.

I would like to offer one bit of advice if you buy a Golden-age book. Some of the books offered I feel are too readily available. I would do some research to find out which books tend to be scarcer in the marketplace.

Great advice. I'm learning so much in this thread. I don't have much experience with Golden Age books, but am learning a ton based on suggestions made here.

I can't possibly answer this question, because I don't know what your intention is. Are you buying something to keep? Something to sell quickly? Something to buy and hold for a long term investment? Something to have as a museum piece?

All good questions.

Sounds to me like the OP want to keep the book for awhile.

I'd buy the best AF #15 I could find. It's THE Silver Age book and (IMO) the #3 book in the hobby.

I can't possibly answer this question, because I don't know what your intention is. Are you buying something to keep? Something to sell quickly? Something to buy and hold for a long term investment? Something to have as a museum piece?

Answered in sequence. Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

From your handle, just wondering if your a fan/collector of Star Wars.

From your handle, just wondering if your a fan/collector of Star Wars.

I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars. Thus the Kirk Kenobi. Not a collector of either.

I should amend my previous recommendation as I took for granted the fact you don't already have an AF 15. If you don't have one, get one before you go after ANY other SA book. And for what it's worth, I don't think we'll see the new Spidey movie doing much anything to bump prices as this book is pretty much valuable for far more reasons than a movie. While the supply is higher than GA books, there's no mistaking this book as THE blue chip of any SA book out there.

Still stick with pre-Robin Tecs though for the GA options... though you'll certainly have to go the restored route if you're set on 4.5 slabbed or higher.

I should amend my previous recommendation as I took for granted the fact you don't already have an AF 15. If you don't have one, get one before you go after ANY other SA book. And for what it's worth, I don't think we'll see the new Spidey movie doing much anything to bump prices as this book is pretty much valuable for far more reasons than a movie. While the supply is higher than GA books, there's no mistaking this book as THE blue chip of any SA book out there.

Still stick with pre-Robin Tecs though for the GA options... though you'll certainly have to go the restored route if you're set on 4.5 slabbed or higher.

Thanks. AF 15 is definitely high on the list. Although based on your avatar you might be biased ;)

Here is what I've got on the list based on everyone's feedback. Whittled it down a bit. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and PMs.

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

AF 15

Batman 11

Blue Beetle 54

Captain America 46

Detective Comics 168, 225

Hulk 1

Showcase 4

Superman 14, 53, 76

TOS 39

Books owned but could upgrade:

SGT Fury #1

B&B #28

FF #1

AF 15 is the first in my mind

Now, some member belive that silver age keys in mid-low grade would not retain his value in the future. Is this true for AF 15 too?

I bought my AF 15 (graded out at a 1.8) in NOV 08. If I sold it now (not counting the fact it was SS'd be Stan Lee), I'd nearly double my investment. Including the signature? I'd make between 2.0 and 2.1x the amount I first paid.

So yes. Low grades have a solid market in the Land of AF 15. But if he's looking to spend about $4.5k, he can land nice higher end-low grade copy OR a really sharp mid-grade restored.