• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th

7th to 9th  

345 members have voted

1. 1. 7th to 9th

95 posts in this topic

Of course they are. Simple demographics. Check the ages of the execs out there over the last ten years.

And when I say running Hollywood I dont mean comics fans are greenlightinf movies cause thet are comics fans. Of course the success of them so far in the marketplace has greased the wheels for wave after wave.

My larger point was that growing up with these characters has enabled them to be film fodder. Lots of guys in Hollywood have thrilled to take a meeting with Stan Lee in the last couple decades. Contrast that with Stans first 15 years knocking on door after door trying to sell movies based on his characters!!! And getting nothing.

But call a kid at a studio production dept who grew up reading Spidey? "marge. Set up a meeting with Stan pronto!"

I'll buy that. I'm actually a little surprised at the strength of superhero movies given the relative unpopularity of comic books. I have friends at work who get excited about and go to all the superhero movies, but still mock my love of comics. I chalk it up to the strength of the origins and characters as straight sci-fi/fantasy fodder, ignoring their original medium. But this does not explain why it's happening now and not any time in the past 30 years or so. Maybe advances in special effects?

special effects for sure. now, ANY image can be created in a realistic manner. Contrast that with the early Bond movies or Superman films of the 70s and 80s. By todays standards the effects scenes are painful to watch.

The biggest issues with todays SFX scenes is that we probably have seen it before.

Now its tough:

JIM #83

Showcase #22

TOS #39

Totally agree.

Now I'm a Marvel zombie (I love me some Batman though) but even I think B&B #28 has some pretty vast importance over these three noted above. I Didn't think so many people would attempt to vote it off the island this this round. (shrug)

There's no way the first appearance of either Green Lantern or the Justice League of America should be voted off the list before the later initial appearances of Iron Man, Thor and the X-Men.

(tsk)

There's no way the first appearance of either Green Lantern or the Justice League of America should be voted off the list before the later initial appearances of Iron Man, Thor and the X-Men.

(tsk)

And yet...

(tsk)

...and there's no way SC22 or B&B28 should still be on the list while ASM1 was voted off last round, but stranger things have happened...

Interesting, but suspected, results.

When considering SA Marvels, 1962 > 1963, which gives the edge to JIM #83, Hulk #1, and of course AF #15 over TOS #39, Avengers #1, Sgt Fury #1, and X-Men #1.

Looks like TOS #39 is out, but a late pulse could knock out JIM #83. But JIM #83 > TOS #39.

(tsk)

...and there's no way SC22 or B&B28 should still be on the list while ASM1 was voted off last round, but stranger things have happened...

stan lee might disagree. w/out the success of JLA #1 which flowed from B&B #28, there might not have been an FF #1 forget about a second derivative rip off like Avengers #1 or X-men #1

B&B #28 (1st JLA)

JIM #83 (1st Thor)

Showcase #22 (1st SA Green Lantern)

My 3 cents.

I can't even believe someone would vote off the iron man over goldie lox.

I'm the opposite. Thor's run was so much better to me. Aside from some of Kirby's best work anywhere, I think Stan put more into it, too.

I'm the opposite. Thor's run was so much better to me. Aside from some of Kirby's best work anywhere, I think Stan put more into it, too.

Agreed

Agreed

Yup.

Historically, JIM 83 has always been much more highly prized by collectors than TOS 39, especially in high grade. Then add the historical significance of JIM 83 having been one of the original core group of superheroes introduced by Marvel. All of that trumps the fact that some Hollywood execs decided a few years ago to make a movie with Iron Man.

One thing that always surprises me is how well Hulk 1 does in these polls.

I understand that value-wise, it`s off the charts because it`s the toughest of the Marvel mega-keys to find in high grade. And, that Hulk was the 2nd Marvel superhero (if you don`t count TTA 27).

But still, he`s never been THAT popular a character, has he? If Hulk 1 existed in high grade in the same quantities as AF 15 (or god forbid ASM 1), for example, surely its value would be significantly lower. And, he was kind of a dud initially, getting cancelled after only 6 issues.

In the Marvel heirarchy, I personally would rank Hulk 1 in 4th place, behind AF 15, FF 1 and X-Men 1.

My last ditch effort to save TOS 39.

One of the greatest origins in the history of comics. (thumbs u

Remember how great this origin was the first time you read it?

Tales_of_Suspense_Vol_1_39.jpg

+1

vote off the yellow haired hippy