• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

Even at low,...that's got to be a good 150 degress.....

With a dry mount press the pressing only lasts a few seconds. The paper is protected with a silcon release type "paper" to prevent sticking, stains etc. Scorching really isn't an issue at all if you use the right procedures. When I was playing with pressing using a dry mount press I experiemented even with higher temperatures and never scorched a page. Remember, dry mount presses are primarily used on paper anyway. A common use in a framer shop is to press a rolled poster to flatten it out before being framed.

The temperatures themselves are not high enough to scorch unless you really leave it in there a long time - I used to play with the 160-180 range. Used a piece of acid free buffered thick artist paper (got them in pads) underneath and the silicon release paper on top. (Remember, the heat only comes from from the top "platen". The base is kind of like a felt-covered pool table top.) And again, just a few seoncds i all that's needed, although I did experiemnt with longer times - even a minute or two, with no scorching.

The press was also GREAT as an emergency pants presser and tie presser! Made a nice sharp crease in the pants! thumbsup2.gif

Maybe that's why all of those dealers were bidding on presses on ebay? confused-smiley-013.gif

The press was also GREAT as an emergency pants presser and tie presser! Made a nice sharp crease in the pants! thumbsup2.gif

Maybe that's why all of those dealers were bidding on presses on ebay? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well many of them ARE kind of, well, disheveled! grin.gif

BUMP. Just for the record, I did not receive a reply to my email to Jason Ewert last week. Did you hear anything from him, Murph?

I just emailed him this, through Ebay. Thanks anyway.

Hi Jason,

My name is Brad Hamann and I am the CGC board member who noted that the Daredevil 11 CGC 9.6 GreenRiver you had up for sale a few weeks ago, was definitely a resub of a CGC 9.4 that Shin Kao had auctioned off for charity a few months ago. Shin himself offered the opinion that the book might very well have been pressed. I know Shin, trust his eye, so I gave some validity to his theory. The issue of whether dealers resubmit books after having them professionally pressed in order to get a higher grade and thus garner a much higher profit margin, has been debated hotly on the boards for the last couple of weeks. I never contacted you personally after the book was withdrawn, because I assumed I was the last person you wanted to hear from at the time. I had apparently, and unintentionally deep-sixed your auction. Someone also suggested I contact you and try to work out a "special price" for the 9.4/9.6, but I felt that would be unethical.

Anyway, it has been suggested that I indeed contact you for your take on all the developments. I have basically a couple of questions, that I would appreciate an answer to.

1. If you were offering a slabbed book for sale that you knew had been professionally pressed, and a potential buyer emailed you asking if the book had been pressed, would you supply that information, or would you consider it not the buyers business to ask.

2. More directly, have you ever offered a book for sale that you professionally pressed and then resubmitted to CGC in the hopes of receiving a higher grade.

Please be assured, this is NOT personal. It is a hot button issue and your input is important. I would wish other dealers to be forthcoming also. We need to have an open discussion. I feel it is the consumers right to know as much about the item he is putting money down for, whether they think pro pressing is restoration or not.

Thanks, Brad

I certainly did. He is out of town until Thursday so you probably won't hear back from until then. He asked that I didn't post his response.

In a nutshell he says..

He doesn't read these forums and has no interest to. He doesn't press books, period.

The DD 11 was sold as a 9.4 to a customer. The customer successfully resubmitted for a 9.6. Was later consigned to Jason and then later after that the customer told him to unlist it.

Brian

But he does have an account on the user boards and has made posts in the past. Again, just for the record.

Anyway, you can see why I never bothered to contact him to begin with.

And that acct was given to me in confidence. Will not reveal. Sorry, no conspiracy here. If the person who gave it to me says it cool, I'll release it. Trust me, I'd love to.

Gotta love those dealers, who claim never to read the boards, never to have pressed a book, and never reveal the names of clients or people they sell books for. I mean, my god, it's classified info, isn't it Murph? Also, gotta' love the folks who act as their go-betweens.