• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

If you don't like pressed books, stop collecting (because their out there). confused.gif

That great! Just run collectors off if they don't want to "join the club" and condon questionable and possibly unethical tactics in this hobby. Really great!

It's not a matter of condoning it, it's a matter of accepting the things in life you have no control over whatsoever. What he said is accurate--if you don't like pressed books, stop collecting high-grade vintage comics, because it's simply going to happen and there's NOTHING you can do about the professionally-done ones.

#22 9.4 wp and #25 9.2 owp. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif I was looking at his #20 9.4 wp and #50 9.2 ow-wp, but I can't afford them right now with some of the other books I'm looking for. Gotta keep some of the powder dry before WonderCon. 893censored-thumb.gif

Maybe, but I just shot a good part of my wad on Drummy's NM FFs. grin.gif

sign-offtopic.gif Which ones did you get? I bought his #31 and #68.

If you don't like pressed books, stop collecting (because their out there). confused.gif

That great! Just run collectors off if they don't want to "join the club" and condon questionable and possibly unethical tactics in this hobby. Really great!

It's not a matter of condoning it, it's a matter of accepting the things in life you have no control over whatsoever. What he said is accurate--if you don't like pressed books, stop collecting high-grade vintage comics, because it's simply going to happen and there's NOTHING you can do about the professionally-done ones.

In other words.....

The Hobby is Doomed!!!

Nice.

In other words.....

The Hobby is Doomed!!!

Nice.

Nah, but it'll change people's perceptions and eliminate some elements of the high-grade lunatic fringe.

In other words.....

The Hobby is Doomed!!!

Nice.

Nah, but it'll change people's perceptions and eliminate some elements of the high-grade lunatic fringe.

All that will happen is that collectors like myself will stop buying HG slabs. I haven't bought a pre-slabbed book in months....and I have no intention of buying any in the immediate future.

What better way to encourage the growth of the comic hobby....than to force collectors to walk away.

4_17_9.gif

Man, I'm taking a beating here.

To answer questions:

1) If I knew for a fact that a book was professionally pressed and someone asked me if it was pressed, I would say yes. Simply because I DON'T LIE. smile.gif

2) I don't consider Pressing Restoration, based on MY Criteria what Restoration is. At this time, CGC is in agreement with me (or at least implies agreement with me by not noting it on the Label).

So why would I want to IMPROVE a SYSTEM that is in agreement with my philosphy of Restoration. I WOULDN'T. sumo.gif

3) I don't believe for a minute that NOT DISCLOSING PRESSING will be the downfall of CGC (and therefore reduce the value / premium given to the CGC books I own).

Just the way I see it. grin.gif

Thank you Steve. I do appreciate your opinion. Not trying to beat on you at all. And I believe you "would" say yes! So we'll have to agree to disagree, that's all. Now, if a dealer like Jason Ewert would answer a query from a buyer as openly, than I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the whole thing. I, or someone else, will have to give him a try on it.

All that will happen is that collectors like myself will stop buying HG slabs.

EXACTLY the lunatic fringe I was referring to! thumbsup2.gif There probably isn't enough time left in the day anyway after you're done stepping over cracks in the sidewalk, storing and cataloguing bottles of your own urine and feces, and all those required bi-hourly anus checks to make sure aliens haven't probed you yet. Gotta keep all those undesirable, invisible bad elements outta your life! crazy.gif

I skipped most of the "We hate Jason Ewert" thread, but was curious if anyone emailed him for a response? You said that if "Ewert answered a query so openly" yada yada yada. Does this mean you've emailed him and asked or are you just assuming he won't reply because he doesn't do so on these boards?

Brian

All that will happen is that collectors like myself will stop buying HG slabs.

EXACTLY the lunatic fringe I was referring to! thumbsup2.gif There probably isn't enough time left in the day anyway after you're done stepping over cracks in the sidewalk, storing and cataloguing bottles of your own urine and feces, and all those required bi-hourly anus checks to make sure aliens haven't probed you yet. Gotta keep all those undesirable, invisible bad elements outta your life! crazy.gif

I wasn't aware that slabbed books that may have been pressed could be that repugnant, but since you provide such a telling analogy, I guess you're right......

I wasn't aware that slabbed books that may have been pressed could be that repugnant, but since you provide such a telling analogy, I guess you're right......

I knew that viewpoint would find lots of support around here...this forum attracts all the elite loons in the comics collecting community (such as myself). Most high-grade collectors are whacked out of their gourds. Why else would we obsess over defects that are fractions of an inch in size, or even only visible under high magnification? acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

EXACTLY the lunatic fringe I was referring to! There probably isn't enough time left in the day anyway after you're done stepping over cracks in the sidewalk, storing and cataloguing bottles of your own urine and feces, and all those required bi-hourly anus checks to make sure aliens haven't probed you yet. Gotta keep all those undesirable, invisible bad elements outta your life!
893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gif

I'm assuming he wouldn't bother answering me, because, due to inaccurate portrayals like yours, there seems to be some idea going around that this is somehow a personal issue and we "hate" him. This is not the case. Perhaps you should go back and carefully read the thread before you rename it. They do say, that God is in the "yada, yada, yada".

By the way, I think it's safe to assume he has read some of these threads.....and last I heard, it's an open forum and he is welcome to correct any misconceptions if he thinks it's important enough.

'Bout time somebody piped up and said that.....only a couple of hours ago I was reflecting about the hobby with a friend (who doesn't collect comics) both of us having just watched Comic Book Villains (an excellent flick, btw).

After I attempted to explain the paramount importance of grading and undisclosed/undefined resto in the hobby to him, we both concluded that I was insane.

It is an open forum, but to assume that a lack of reply means that he's guilty is quite questionable. That only "justifiably" works in the court system, not an online forum. I will email him and give you his response.

Brian

If it were just pressing without disassembly and/or dry cleaning, it would not have received the PLOD.

I think that we're forgetting momentarily that the book has two tear seals as well as the clean and pressing. The tear seals preclude the fact on whether or not CGC would have blue or purple labeled this book based on the type of cleaning (wet or dry). Either way, this No.1 being cleaned being a moot point as the tear seals themselves would have qualified this book for nothing less than a PLOD.

I just emailed him this, through Ebay. Thanks anyway.

Hi Jason,

My name is Brad Hamann and I am the CGC board member who noted that the Daredevil 11 CGC 9.6 GreenRiver you had up for sale a few weeks ago, was definitely a resub of a CGC 9.4 that Shin Kao had auctioned off for charity a few months ago. Shin himself offered the opinion that the book might very well have been pressed. I know Shin, trust his eye, so I gave some validity to his theory. The issue of whether dealers resubmit books after having them professionally pressed in order to get a higher grade and thus garner a much higher profit margin, has been debated hotly on the boards for the last couple of weeks. I never contacted you personally after the book was withdrawn, because I assumed I was the last person you wanted to hear from at the time. I had apparently, and unintentionally deep-sixed your auction. Someone also suggested I contact you and try to work out a "special price" for the 9.4/9.6, but I felt that would be unethical.

Anyway, it has been suggested that I indeed contact you for your take on all the developments. I have basically a couple of questions, that I would appreciate an answer to.

1. If you were offering a slabbed book for sale that you knew had been professionally pressed, and a potential buyer emailed you asking if the book had been pressed, would you supply that information, or would you consider it not the buyers business to ask.

2. More directly, have you ever offered a book for sale that you professionally pressed and then resubmitted to CGC in the hopes of receiving a higher grade.

Please be assured, this is NOT personal. It is a hot button issue and your input is important. I would wish other dealers to be forthcoming also. We need to have an open discussion. I feel it is the consumers right to know as much about the item he is putting money down for, whether they think pro pressing is restoration or not.

Thanks, Brad