• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

gossip.gifCGC will note the cleaning if it was a non dry clean process (meaning chemical), or if the book was disassembled. Pressing will be noted also, if the book was disassembled.

Johnny Five ALIIIVE! No disassemble 893naughty-thumb.gif

No no El DeBarge....from that lame movie....

http://www.driko.org/lyrics/whosjohnny.txt

893frustrated.gif

I know this, Rip!!! But don't you remember the punchline to the joke that Newton tells Johnny 5 way up on the mountaintop?!??!? "Whatever God wants, he keeps!"

Would it have helped if I would have said:

"Hey, Laser-Lips! Your momma was a snow blower!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thankfully, there is a small universe from which to choose.

foreheadslap.gifNo, I completely forgot...... my memory of this [!@#%^&^] film runs only so deep..........

Dude. It is the finest Guttenberg/Sheedy film EVER made. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, they are still struggling in my death grip of reason and good sense. Near defeat, but still struggling. confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif So where are we now, I missed the last 3 pages, FFB have you conviced them its Resto or are we gonna have to hang the jury. 10_9_134.gif

Unfortunately, they are still struggling in my death grip of reason and good sense. Near defeat, but still struggling.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So where are we now, I missed the last 3 pages, FFB have you conviced them its Resto or are we gonna have to hang the jury.

Not going to convince me and I've got the law (OK, CGC) on my side. blush.gif

All that will happen is that collectors like myself will stop buying HG slabs.

EXACTLY the lunatic fringe I was referring to! thumbsup2.gif There probably isn't enough time left in the day anyway after you're done stepping over cracks in the sidewalk, storing and cataloguing bottles of your own urine and feces, and all those required bi-hourly anus checks to make sure aliens haven't probed you yet. Gotta keep all those undesirable, invisible bad elements outta your life! crazy.gif

Keep it up richard cranium....

All that will happen is that collectors like myself will stop buying HG slabs.

EXACTLY the lunatic fringe I was referring to! thumbsup2.gif There probably isn't enough time left in the day anyway after you're done stepping over cracks in the sidewalk, storing and cataloguing bottles of your own urine and feces, and all those required bi-hourly anus checks to make sure aliens haven't probed you yet. Gotta keep all those undesirable, invisible bad elements outta your life! crazy.gif

Keep it up *@#&$@$.....

Don't mind him... these are the final gasps of a man trying to defend his ridiculously overpriced "investments". 27_laughing.gif

(He's the type of "collector" who wakes up in the middle of the night, crying and screaming, "I SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT THEM RAW!!!!! WHY DID I PAY 14x GUIDE?!?!?!?!")

To counter that argument, I have always deemed Restoration to be adding or subtracting material from a book to improve the appearance. Pressing doesn't add or subtract material

To bring the thread back to reality grin.gif.

I disagree that restoration has to add or subtract material to improve the appearance. For two reasons:

1) Sometimes restoration is done not to improve the appearance but to improve the structural integrity or longevity of a book. A piece of archival tape or japan paper used to seal a tear doesn't improve the appearnce. It brings its own "look" to the book. But it does improve the structural integrity of the book. And a tear seal is restoration, I think we all (or most) agree.

2) I agree with your definition if you remove "adding or subtracting material". The proper definition of restoration, in my opinion, is any process that improves the appearance or structural integrity of the book. This includes pressing.

Why do high grade books command so much more money? The answer is so blatant but so often ignored. It is because the odds of a book, and especially SA and GA, surviving intact in a raw, untouched high grade are quite slim. (Barring warehouse finds). These books, untouched by any process, deserve a special place simple because they have survived.

Now I am not talking about how detectable a restoration is. I find the idea that "if you cannot detect the restoration it isn't" - an idea so often used with pressing - to be abhorrent. The book's history is ignored in this instance. The fact that a book has actually survived 40 or 50 years intact, with no reversal, is ignored. But it is what makes a truly HG untouched book so special.

However, since restoration brings with it such overwhelming negative connotations, folks are starting to seperate certain restorative processes (such as pressing) from the definition of restoration.

Suppose you were presented with two identical books. Both are in CGC 9.4 blue labels. Both are the same price. But you happen to know that one had been pressed and the other hadn't. You can choose either one. Which one would you choose and why?

Actually, the only reason I used the term "to improve the appearance" is because date stamps, writing, etc. ADDS some type of material to the book.

For me (and it seems CGC also feels this way), something must be added to or subtracted from the book to be called restoration.

A few months ago, I asked Steve Borock on this forum, why a book shouldn't be taken apart (because to me, that is also NOT RESTORATION). He said, it just shouldn't. I have yet to see a PLOD (or QUALIFIED) Label that only says, "book taken apart".

To answer your question regarding would I buy a PRESSED CGC 9.4 over an UNPRESSED CGC 9.4, I can honestly say "I would buy the one with the nicest eye appeal". cloud9.gif

Understand my position on PRESSING. I believe if a book has been pressed and the defects (i.e. non-color breaking creases) have been removed permanently (not covered up like with a color touch), then I DON'T CARE.

insane.gif

Understand my position on PRESSING. I believe if a book has been pressed and the defects (i.e. non-color breaking creases) have been removed permanently (not covered up like with a color touch), then I DON'T CARE.

OK - I cna accept that - but you are applying your personal opinion on what is a definition of restoration. I am too but I agree with mine more than yours! grin.gif

Now as far as eye appeal goes - I was going to add a bit about that but figured it would be too much - so now I will add it.

You have two CGC 9.4 books. Both have identical eye appeal. Centering is perfect on both (yes, it happens). Staples pristine. Colors rich. No writing etc. Just two plain old books that are 9.4 with nothing to seperate one from the other excpet you know one is pressed and one is not.

Which would you choose (for the same money) and why?

Also - as far as date stamps go - Yes they ADD something to the book but they add something pre-retail. They are part of the distribution/retail process. A date stamp happens before the book is put on the shelf for sale. I can't see them as a defect because they were a part of the process that got them to the retail market. As far as too large or poorly placed ones - well- that is a QP matter up to the buyer. But I do not fee they should be considered a defect as they are part of the book's journey to a reader's hands. They also can provide good information on exactly when a book was printed/distributed. I like them if they are not too big or improperly placed. But that is simply a value judgement.