• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

Better to have two sides to every witch hunt. All I ask is you provide something to back up these claims and you come up with nothing. If you have nothing (or can't give anything), don't make them?

Brian

All I know is that I addressed Jason directly about these questions. He had time to reply to you, but told you not to post his response. Why? What's the problem? Personally, I don't take a second hand nutshell version of anything as gospel. All I am doing is asking some hard questions, I get baloney, second grade level answers that the board is supposed to accept and go away and shut the [!@#%^&^] up. Sorry dude, if I am making you uncomfortable. You took it upon yourself to be Jason's messenger boy, so deal with it, because he ain't coming around, is he. Nope. I knew it before you realized it.

And that has what to do with your allegations?

I'm not Jason so I'm not in the least bit uncomfortable. I'm quite happy with all my purchases from him. What has changed, however, is that my opinion of you dropped significantly when you started making allegations without any (available) proof. Whether you care or not makes no diff to me.

Brian

C'mon guys....can't we all just get along?

Stay outa this with your logical reasoning, and calm soothing comments.. gossip.gif

I was hoping to tape this and put it on PPV tivo. makepoint.gif

j/k Beyonder..... 27_laughing.gif

But maybe the good natured banter between REd, and Murph will bring forth some more(new) facts about this super top secret , double secret probation thread topic.

This isn't a popularity contest. Look, as I said before, I have never stated categorically that Jason did anything. Show me the post, if you disagree. All the evidence I had was based on the undeniable auction of a resubbed book, under his huge banner on Ebay. The original owner of the book was of the opinion that the book might very well had been pressed. And the book was pulled very quickly after the thread appeared. IT HIT A NERVE!

Murph, this isn't about Jason. It isn't a witch hunt. It is about the growing possibility that high end books are getting pressed for higher grades, by a growing number of dealers and the cost passed along to the unsuspecting buyers.

Whether you agree or disagree that pressing is restoration, I'm only concerned that the information about whether a book I am looking at has been pressed is made available. This is a fine point that you just ain't getting. This issue is not going away.

. And the book was pulled very quickly after the thread appeared. IT HIT A NERVE!

It was pulled within minutes of your post Redhook, as I was looking at your thread when you first posted it, and then the auction was pulled within minutes of your post about it.

Which I found odd.

Since Jason doesnt read these boards

my 2 cents

Okay.. my two cents. It's entirely possible and probable that Jason Ewert sold it to someone who then resubmitted it for a higher grade and then had it reconsigned back.

One thing I haven't mentioned before is that I didn't ship the book to Jason directly, but rather to a friend he was visiting (another BSD.)

So that explanation is entirely plausible and I have no reason to doubt its veracity.

Just thought I'd jump in quickly on the issue of date stamps/codes/writing on books because I have some strong feelings on the subject.

I actually prefer having certain kinds of writing on pedigree books rather than having no writing at all. For example, I like seeing the "Larson" in handwriting on books from that pedigree, just like I like seeing the date codes on a Church book or the stamps on a Reilly.

Rather than thinking of these things as defects, I think of them more in a "trademark" sense, in that they are indicative of the origin of the book and are evidence of the book's history. The marks themselves have historical meaning (which is why the writing on the Pay Copy of Marvel #1 doesn't bother me one bit) that come from the stories of how these books defied the odds across the decades and come to be in the present day in their pristine condition. These codes/signatures/writings are important to the "pedigree" status of the book because they help designate the book as being a member of a famous collection.

I know that many people don't agree, but for me, I look at it in the same way as I look at a logo on a specific company's product. When I see a logo on a product, the logo indicates to me where the product came from. And when I see a Larson signature or a Reilly stamp on a book, it serves as a quick reminder of the book's history and forces me to stop and appreciate, even if only for a second, what the book went through to get here in nice shape. Thus, whereas I think of defects as things that make a comic less desirable when I see it, I consider pedigree stamps, codes, and writing to be a benefit that I like seeing and for which I'd pay extra. If you posed a question to me similar to the one povertyrow posed to you about pressing and asked me "If you have two pedigree copies of the same book and one has pedigree-related writing and the other doesn't but they are otherwise equal in every way, which would you pick?" I would pick the one with the pedigree-related writing every time, without hesitation, hands down, and as I said, I'd probably pay extra for it.

that does it!!!!!!!!

i'm running out, getting a stamp made that says "THE BURNTBOY COLLECTION" on it right now. (or maybe it should say "SID'S LUNCHEONETTE"?)

i'm gonna be RICH, i tell you.................. grin.gif

Hi Shin,

Thanks for checking in. I don't have a reason to disbelieve Captain Tripps version of the chain of procurement for this book. But (and I am not trying to put you on the spot, Shin) here is your quote from the Feb 4th thread that got things rolling.....you were referring to the 9.4 that Jason won from you and the 9.6 resub that he was offering that day.....and you were very sure at that time about whether the book was pressed......

It's the same book. I have extremely detailed scans of my book.

Apparently, it's been cleaned and pressed and the edges have been made really sharp. This is especially apparent on the back cover where mine had some small edge imperfections that have been pressed smooth.

I mean, I'd be curious if you still felt as strongly about your statement. Cool if you don't. I mean....

Anyway....

The original thread, and I recommend Murph read this, since you signed on to the boards three weeks later and might have missed it....is found here...........

The Start of it All

I noted that Shin's post was time-stamped 11:09 EST and the auction was pulled at 11:25 EST, a mere sixteen minutes later.. Why?

and I recommend Murph read this, since you signed on to the boards three weeks later and might have missed it

Murph is posting under his 2nd forum ID. He retired the first one after 10,000 posts. He's been around as long as most any one here. wink.gif

Ahhhhhh, thanks. What was the first one? Or is it a secret?

Murph o

murph0, or you can click on the User List link at the top and sort by posts. He's the only one with 10,000 on the nose. thumbsup2.gif