• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) second highest graded copy on CC

79 posts in this topic

One of the reasons I have always enjoyed Captain Marvel is that he isn't like the rest of the DC universe. He is more cartoonish and silly. The whole concept of characters in tights running around destroying each other and flying around the galaxies is a bit fantastic. It should be fun. Captain Marvel's stories were always bright and humorous and entertaining. Maybe the readers of today's comics wouldn't appreciate it, as today only dark and darker seems to get popularity. But, I am 45. I remember buying Shazam off of the newsstands as a kid and I treasured every issue. I would treasure this Whiz Comics #2 (1) if I had the coin. A beautiful book!!!

One of the reasons I have always enjoyed Captain Marvel is that he isn't like the rest of the DC universe. He is more cartoonish and silly. The whole concept of characters in tights running around destroying each other and flying around the galaxies is a bit fantastic. It should be fun. Captain Marvel's stories were always bright and humorous and entertaining. Maybe the readers of today's comics wouldn't appreciate it, as today only dark and darker seems to get popularity. But, I am 45. I remember buying Shazam off of the newsstands as a kid and I treasured every issue. I would treasure this Whiz Comics #2 (1) if I had the coin. A beautiful book!!!

Here's a crazy idea. What if they made a Captain Marvel movie for kids?

Here's a crazy idea. What if they made a Captain Marvel movie for kids?

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. If they did it right, kids would flock to it. The concept is already geared towards that with a youngster getting super powers.

The book will probably do great, but how will it do in 20 years when the buyer wants to resell it?

That is the main concern I have with buying a book with a declining demand base (relative to other big GA keys).

The book has been losing ground to other big keys for 30 years and I see nothing that is likely to change that.

I think this book will do very well. Some people will be surprised.

I'm going to be very surprised if this book DOESN'T do well.

I just read kingdom come for the first time today...

It's a book I'd love to have...... hm

That's funny...I reread Kingdom Come again this past weekend, and everytime I do, it makes me wonder of how much potential a Captain Marvel character still has.

Personally, I agree with Jeff....gear the character towards kids and see how it goes.

The book will probably do great, but how will it do in 20 years when the buyer wants to resell it?

That is the main concern I have with buying a book with a declining demand base (relative to other big GA keys).

The book has been losing ground to other big keys for 30 years and I see nothing that is likely to change that.

I think this book will do very well. Some people will be surprised.

I'm going to be very surprised if this book DOESN'T do well.

I honestly believe that part of the problem has a lot to do with internet discussions such as this one. People's opinions affect buyer's decisions in a dramatically in both a positive way and a negative way, depending on the opinion.

People constantly wondering if the book will maintain it's value creates fear in potential buyer's minds and tend to draw the bidders away.

I have to ask, why wouldn't anyone who is an avid GA collector trip over themselves to go for a book like this?

It's truly rare, has a terrific cover, a terrific story and is the first appearance of a terrific character. It's not an "A" tier book because the character has slipped out of the public eye, but it is an "A" tier book in the sense that it is everything that a mega key should be.

I'm seriously thinking about putting some money together to make a run for this book.

Because at this price point, the investment potential of the book has to be a primary concern to anyone who is not very, very wealthy.

A multimillionaire can buy this simply because it is an awesome comic.

99% of the population must consider its resale value as the primary purchasing consideration, though.

Remember too that the purchase price is going be a huge factor in its investment potential.

The better it does at this auction, the worse it is likely to be from an investment standpoint. If it stinks it up, the buyer is more likely to do better down the road.

Anyone interested in buying this book should be thanking me for the negative sentiment :D

I honestly believe that part of the problem has a lot to do with internet discussions such as this one. People's opinions affect buyer's decisions in a dramatically in both a positive way and a negative way, depending on the opinion.

People constantly wondering if the book will maintain it's value creates fear in potential buyer's minds and tend to draw the bidders away.

I have to ask, why wouldn't anyone who is an avid GA collector trip over themselves to go for a book like this?

It's truly rare, has a terrific cover, a terrific story and is the first appearance of a terrific character. It's not an "A" tier book because the character has slipped out of the public eye, but it is an "A" tier book in the sense that it is everything that a mega key should be.

I'm seriously thinking about putting some money together to make a run for this book.

It can be argued that the main reason Whiz #1 is seen as a poor investment is because so few copies come to market.

It can be argued that the main reason Whiz #1 is seen as a poor investment is because so few copies come to market.

Speaking as someone who lurks on these boards, the impression I get is that Fawcetts across the board are viewed as money-losing investments. Few people speak of their love of Fawcetts. Instead, I have read on here that the major collectors of Fawcetts have exited the market, decreasing demand and increasing supply. Fawcett's are disparaged here, and I have to assume the forum is at least a little window into the market's attitudes. I specifically have read many disparaging comments about the desirability of Fawcett covers, generally, versus those of other publishers (even lessor publishers like Nedor and MLJ), which seems significant in a CGC world where comics are increasingly treated like baseball cards.

I have also looked at Metro, and seen Mile High Fawcetts languish for years, in sharp contrast to what happens when hot DCs or Timely's are put up.

But, having said that, I agree that the first appearance of Capt. Marvel should be worth more. Still, I also think that a lot of the "hot covers" folks here drool about should be worth less. Markets are not rationale.

I don't think there's a lack of collectors who like the very early Whiz comics and the last 2-5 issues of the run. There are more than a few here who have mentioned an interest in the first 10-20 issues. The end run is sought after at least by pre-code collectors. The issues in between are the ones that are not as sought after. I'm thinking of working on #3-10 myself. hm .......get 'em while they're cheap.

I just read kingdom come for the first time today...

It's a book I'd love to have...... hm

That's funny...I reread Kingdom Come again this past weekend, and everytime I do, it makes me wonder of how much potential a Captain Marvel character still has.

Personally, I agree with Jeff....gear the character towards kids and see how it goes.

Ditto. I have never read much DC, but I LOVED that plot twist.

Speaking as someone who lurks on these boards, the impression I get is that Fawcetts across the board are viewed as money-losing investments. Few people speak of their love of Fawcetts. Instead, I have read on here that the major collectors of Fawcetts have exited the market, decreasing demand and increasing supply. Fawcett's are disparaged here, and I have to assume the forum is at least a little window into the market's attitudes. I specifically have read many disparaging comments about the desirability of Fawcett covers, generally, versus those of other publishers (even lessor publishers like Nedor and MLJ), which seems significant in a CGC world where comics are increasingly treated like baseball cards.

I have also looked at Metro, and seen Mile High Fawcetts languish for years, in sharp contrast to what happens when hot DCs or Timely's are put up.

But, having said that, I agree that the first appearance of Capt. Marvel should be worth more. Still, I also think that a lot of the "hot covers" folks here drool about should be worth less. Markets are not rationale.

I don't know about now, but when I sold my Fawcett slabs along with various post-'45 DC slabs in 2006 or so they roughly fetched about the same % of guide and I didn't have trouble moving them. I think maybe the Fawcetts haven't seen huge bumps in OPG? So perhaps their pricing is actually a bit more realistic. You can get a pretty sharp copy of some of these issues for a reasonable price. I have always been pleasantly surprised with how well these do in lower grades on ebay.

As for Metro, maybe they're just asking too much?

I'd rather have the Fawcetts than some of the bad DC like All-Flash (with some of the worst looking covers). Wonder Woman art is terrible too (though I'd still buy them cuz it's WW)

come to think of it, some of the fawcetts were WW II era...I guess most DCs from the WW II era would probably have gotten more of a premium or sold for full guide (putting aside some of the horrible All Flashes)