• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) second highest graded copy on CC

79 posts in this topic

SHAZAM!

The 2nd highest graded most under-appreciated golden age key book is being auctioned on CC . I am aware of the Church/ Mile High copy which is supposed to be around 9.0-9.2 and sold in the early nineties but other than that I have never heard of or seen another unrestored high grade copy of this book for sale. It looks gorgeous and I am happy to finally see one of these out in the open market :cloud9:

whi11132a.jpg

A fantastic looking example!

But who collects and or cares about Captain Marvel (or due to copyrights by Marvel now, do I call him "Shazam" now)?

A waste of $$$$

:jokealert: That's a freaking sweet book in any shape!

I remember in the late 1970's as I first started collecting as kid and Whiz #1 was among the top books in terms of value...boy how that has changed.

This is a sweet looking copy. I wonder what that would sell for...

A fantastic looking example!

But who collects and or cares about Captain Marvel (or due to copyrights by Marvel now, do I call him "Shazam" now)?

A waste of $$$$

:jokealert: That's a freaking sweet book in any shape!

:o The audacity!

SHAZAM!

The 2nd highest graded most underappreciated golden age key book is being auctioned on CC . I am aware of the Church/ Mile High copy which is supposed to be around 9.0-9.2 and sold in the early nineties but other than that I have never heard of or seen another unrestored high grade copy of this book for sale. It looks gorgeous and I am happy to finally see one of these out in the open market :cloud9:

whi11132a.jpg

Killer book.

I remember in the late 1970's as I first started collecting as kid and Whiz #1 was among the top books in terms of value...boy how that has changed.

This is a sweet looking copy. I wonder what that would sell for...

I'm sure it will be again if DC finally decides to appreciate the uniqueness of Cap again :wishluck:

Man, what an incredible book. This is a fresh copy as it's not even on the census yet.

I know I go on and on about it all the time but I have fond memories of reading the origin story as a kid.

Just awesome!

I have no idea how it will do, as much of what we talk about on the boards tends to affect people's bids it seems (naysayers begone!) but if I had the scratch I'd throw whatever it took to acquire it. One of the most important books in the hobby as far as I'm concerned.

:cloud9:

Just did a look at the census. Action #1 and Detective #27 both have over 20 unrestored and restored copies graded. Even Archie #1 has 19 unrestored copies and 5 restored. Only Pep #22 is more rare with only 7 unrestored and 6 restored copies.

Whiz has 10 unrestored (well, 11 now) and 22 restored.

What is guide on this book now in this grade range? Anybody have an Overstreet handy?

R.

7.0 range is around $30,000 in OSPG.

That doesn't sound like much compared to all the other key sales we've seen lately.