• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) second highest graded copy on CC

79 posts in this topic

$61000

I don't really have a very good gage of the FMV for Whiz #2 (#1)'s, but 61K appears to be a pretty good deal all things considered.

Perhaps that is because I feel Whiz #2 to be a very underrated book; but to each his own I suppose.

BIG-TIME congratulations to the winner of the auction. :golfclap:(worship):applause:

Just a quick observation. Why does Batman #1 guide for so much more than Whiz 1. Batman 1 seems kinda common in comparison.

Batman #1 is the first issue of who is to some, the most popular comic book character in the world today.

1st and 2nd appearences of the Joker, 1st appearence of Catwoman, 2nd appearence of Hugo Strange, 3rd appearence of Robin, last Pre-Robin Tec story, origin re-told, classic cover...Batman #1 pretty much has it all.

Being a #1 alone would easily make it one of the top GA books of all-time.

And it packs with it, such an incredible abundance of historically significant content that this issue either by default or destiny has continued to climb up the GA hierarchy.

Whiz Comics #2 is IMO a highly underrated (and in this day and age underappreciated) book, worthy of being toted as a "grail"...but sometimes content is far too powerful to overlook. When you combine that with the desirability that Batman brings to the table, it's a difficult thing for just the power of scarcity backed by an underappreciated character to combat.

Just a quick observation. Why does Batman #1 guide for so much more than Whiz 1. Batman 1 seems kinda common in comparison.

There are two factors that determine prices: (i) supply and (ii) demand

Most people would assume that a low supply would ramp up a price. I would put forth the notion that a low supply keeps the price down. Lots of Batman 1 sales moving the valuation in an upward progression. Copies of Whiz 1 in solid unrestored shape are pretty rare creating a complete lack of value progression due to a lack of copies available for sale.

Lots of books are rarer than Batman #1, but only a few of them command more money.

Rarity is not a guarantee of value, nor is it a hindrance to value escalation.

Most people would assume that a low supply would ramp up a price. I would put forth the notion that a low supply keeps the price down. Lots of Batman 1 sales moving the valuation in an upward progression. Copies of Whiz 1 in solid unrestored shape are pretty rare creating a complete lack of value progression due to a lack of copies available for sale.

You make a valid point, and it`s one that has been debated previously.

However, even if there were 10 times as many copies of Whiz 2, or even as many as Batman 1 (and there are a LOT of copies of Batman 1, by far the most common GA mega-key), the price of a Whiz 2 would still be lower than Batman 1. The demand simply isn`t there.

Virtually every GA book is Lots of books are rarer than Batman #1, but only a few of them command more money.

Rarity is not a guarantee of value, nor is it a hindrance to value escalation.

Fixed that for you, Sean.

I tracked 5 Whiz`s during the CC auction: 12, 16, 22, 29 and 32. Except for the 12, all ended up with "This auction has ended without a winner", which is an all too common occurrence for Church early Fawcetts that appear in CC auctions.

I tracked 5 Whiz`s during the CC auction: 12, 16, 22, 29 and 32. Except for the 12, all ended up with "This auction has ended without a winner", which is an all too common occurrence for Church early Fawcetts that appear in CC auctions.

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Stunning book (worship)

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Stunning book (worship)

WOW! Indeed :o

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Wow! That's a beauty. Congrats Jeff (thumbs u

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Wow! That's a beauty. Congrats Jeff (thumbs u

Jeff!!!!

Batman #1 is the first issue of who is to some, the most popular comic book character in the world today.

1st and 2nd appearences of the Joker, 1st appearence of Catwoman, 2nd appearence of Hugo Strange, 3rd appearence of Robin, last Pre-Robin Tec story, origin re-told, classic cover...Batman #1 pretty much has it all.

Being a #1 alone would easily make it one of the top GA books of all-time.

And it packs with it, such an incredible abundance of historically significant content that this issue either by default or destiny has continued to climb up the GA hierarchy.

Whiz Comics #2 is IMO a highly underrated (and in this day and age underappreciated) book, worthy of being toted as a "grail"...but sometimes content is far too powerful to overlook. When you combine that with the desirability that Batman brings to the table, it's a difficult thing for just the power of scarcity backed by an underappreciated character to combat.

Perfectly said! (thumbs u

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Congrats, sweet book!

I got this one...

wow1.250a.jpg

Congrats, sweet book!

WOW!!! That looks amazing as if it was just printed.

Sure Captain Marvel isn’t as popular today. But that could change at any time if D.C. decides to use him right. But for historical significance - being the best selling superhero of the Golden Age, and for rarity, you have to think Whiz #2 (#1) is highly underrated.

Also you can see the next highest graded copy, CGC 6.0, on ComicConnect. Just went up for $40K.