• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collection Tracking Software?

69 posts in this topic

It is odd that they have an iPad app but not software that doesn't mesh with a mac. What version of the software do people tend to get? Also, is the barcode scanner worth it?

It's not that odd. Lots of stuff has this issue.

No, the barcode scanner isn't worth it, imho. See my previous post about 3 back.

My biggest complaint about all the solutions mentioned (and I use Collectorz, fwiw), is the lack of inventory management.

I have more than 1 copy of a LOT of issues, and while Collectorz (etc) can keep track of them, there is no way to associate a physical book with an entry in the database.

This is how I handle multiples.

First I relabeled one of the USER DEFINED blocks as "Inventory Number"

Then, when I scan a book/enter it into COLLECTORZ I assign it a unique 10 digit number (year / mo /random 4 digits). I forget what program I used, but I found one that printed numbers 1-5000. I printed these up, cut them and put them in a jar. I just pull one at random when I need it. I then write this number on the backside of the backing board. I also had to add a letter (I use the first letter of the title) on the beginning of the number because the program was confusing my Inv Number with the barcode and wouldn't pull these in a search.

So I can have two copies or twenty copies and I can match the scan, Collectorz entry and the physical book with no problems at all.

th_collectorz5.jpg

My biggest complaint about all the solutions mentioned (and I use Collectorz, fwiw), is the lack of inventory management.

I have more than 1 copy of a LOT of issues, and while Collectorz (etc) can keep track of them, there is no way to associate a physical book with an entry in the database.

This is how I handle multiples.

First I relabeled one of the USER DEFINED blocks as "Inventory Number"

Then, when I scan a book/enter it into COLLECTORZ I assign it a unique 10 digit number (year / mo /random 4 digits). I forget what program I used, but I found one that printed numbers 1-5000. I printed these up, cut them and put them in a jar. I just pull one at random when I need it. I then write this number on the backside of the backing board. I also had to add a letter (I use the first letter of the title) on the beginning of the number because the program was confusing my Inv Number with the barcode and wouldn't pull these in a search.

So I can have two copies or twenty copies and I can match the scan, Collectorz entry and the physical book with no problems at all.

th_collectorz5.jpg

That's a pretty good idea. I may have to resort to that.

Its just a shame that they already have barcode support and adding the functionality to do what you described automatically would be fairly trivial...

Collectorz recently added bar-code support, but imho, they missed the boat entirely with this option. They use it merely to enter in new books into the DB, which was a pretty painless process to begin with. Allowing bar-code reading isn't really very useful, especially if you collect anything without barcodes.

They SHOULD have added the ability to print a barcode onto labels, and associate those codes to specific books in the DB. You take the label, stick it on the back of the bag for each book, and when you go to look up copy 3 out of the 7 copies of whatever book you have, you can determine which book it is that you are going to pull out of the box. Or you can quickly scan a book you pull out, and have it jump directly to that books Database entry so you can know what you paid for it, etc., etc.

Without this feature, most of the tools and sites mentioned here are pretty worthless.

ComicBase was able to print bar coded labels for items in your collection, if I recall. Not something that I would use, though.

BTW, I also use the Movie Collectorz software and the bar code is very handy when dealing with DVDs and BDs. I have a collection of 750+ movies and it was a pain before I got my bar code scanner. But for comics, I agree that it's not something that I would use which is why I haven't bought the latest version.

BTW, I also use the Movie Collectorz software and the bar code is very handy when dealing with DVDs and BDs. I have a collection of 750+ movies and it was a pain before I got my bar code scanner. But for comics, I agree that it's not something that I would use which is why I haven't bought the latest version.

Yeah, it would be an ideal solution for collections without (many) duplicates. Not much point in owning multiple copies of movies. :)

Don't get me wrong, I like Collectorz a lot. I just pine for added functionality.

I use Comic Collector Live (as well as Excel), and inventorying multiple copies is pretty simple. I just input the books in order of grade with the highest grade first. If there are multiple copies of a certain grade, I assign a letter to them (A, B, C, D etc.) when I scan them in and name my scans with the relevant letter and write it on the backing board for the book.

Entering the books into CCL in this order means you know exactly which book is which whenever you need to.

InsertingComics1.JPG

InventoryList.JPG

I personally love Comicbase and have had it for years until I switched to MAC. They won't write a MAC program and I can't do Windows anymore so I am waiting for MAC Collectorz. The Comicbase info & covers are incredible but Windows is brutal so.....................

They're hardly worthless, but being able to print out a label to stick on your comic sounds like a great idea. Have you suggested it to the Collectorz folks?

You're right, worthless is too harsh a word. I find they are really just organized lists with no real other functionality or purpose. I paid for 2 versions of collectorz, so clearly I dont find it worthless. :)

I have (and in fact reiterated it just today after writing that post). I was met with resistance in my previous attempts from the developers. Especially when I commented that adding new books via barcode wasn't much of a time save since you have to then go back and manually enter each new books value, grade, etc. etc.. The scanner really only saves you about 2 clicks.

my post:

http://www.collectorz.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20116&p=117606#p117606

edit:

Im a software developer by trade, so I'm very VERY tempted to just write a competing software on my own with this functionality. Seems invaluable to large collectors and dealers.

Do it! I like Collectorz, but it ain't perfect. I find it cumbersome and lacking in basic UX consideration.

Collectorz recently added bar-code support, but imho, they missed the boat entirely with this option. They use it merely to enter in new books into the DB, which was a pretty painless process to begin with. Allowing bar-code reading isn't really very useful, especially if you collect anything without barcodes.

They SHOULD have added the ability to print a barcode onto labels, and associate those codes to specific books in the DB. You take the label, stick it on the back of the bag for each book, and when you go to look up copy 3 out of the 7 copies of whatever book you have, you can determine which book it is that you are going to pull out of the box. Or you can quickly scan a book you pull out, and have it jump directly to that books Database entry so you can know what you paid for it, etc., etc.

Without this feature, most of the tools and sites mentioned here are pretty worthless.

They're hardly worthless, but being able to print out a label to stick on your comic sounds like a great idea. Have you suggested it to the Collectorz folks?

In Comic Base you actually have an option to add comics, so, you can add a duplicate book or books. You also have an alternate UPC box that you can use to enter a barcode that you can use for this purpose. So, you would have the UPC code and the alternate barcode to look up any book you have entered. Mind you, not all books prior to modern age have UPC codes. It would take time to create the duplicate copies and add your own unique barcode, but, it would server the purpose.

I've tried comicbookdb.com which is decent but might try Boozad's idea as I'm more an excel junkie (accountant by trade :P)

The one huge benefit with Excel is the ability to link all of your hi-res scans, provided you have them hosted somewhere of course.

Excel. I started off with Lotus123 then moved over to QuattroPro and then was forced to eventually go the MSFT route.

I would love to use a more automated program but I am not entering in 10,000+ books again so I just keep updating my almost 20 year old spreadsheet.

I have bee a user of the ComicBase program for over 15 years. They are now up to version 15. excellent program...weekly updates...and you can use a scanner from their program, manhattan scanner, to scan the upc barcode and automatically register the comic into your inventory. There is a FREE version for up to a limited amount of comics, 500 I believe , you can use, that will give you ample time and exposure to this wonderful program. well worth it, and you can keep your collection private without it being posted on the internet like some other programs. www.comicbase.com upgrades are available for larger than 500 comis. I LOVE it!!

edit:

Im a software developer by trade, so I'm very VERY tempted to just write a competing software on my own with this functionality. Seems invaluable to large collectors and dealers.

I'm a software developer too, I've been meaning to write one myself but just haven't had time.

I use Excel for my main collecting titles (Batman & Tec) but use StashmyComics for inventory.

Comicbase enables you to create your own upc barcode to register your comics for your collection. I've done it myself for the past few years and the scanning technology with the manhattan scanner is awesome. ComicBase version 15 is out right now. Go to www.comicbase.com for more.