• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collection Tracking Software?

69 posts in this topic

I used to use ComicBase but it was a huge database and got real, real slow as books were updated weekly. Also it irked me that I had to renew my subscription every year even though I was perfectly happy with the software that I had. I also use Collectorz now and I enjoy it - it's flexible, nimble and you can get an app for the iPhone/iPod that is very handy, especially at conventions and when you are not around your computer - don't know how many times I bought the same book because I didn't remember if I had it already or not.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to use the SEARCH function...you'll find plenty of discussions on this topic.

I use ComicBase and have not had any issues with speed, but, the pricing seems to be off on some issues. On NM values they seem to be pretty good, but, they use percentages of the NM value to figure the other grade values. Not the most accurate way to do it. I also use Comicpriceguide, to help gauge pricing, as well as E-Bay, OSPG, and other sites.

My biggest complaint about all the solutions mentioned (and I use Collectorz, fwiw), is the lack of inventory management.

I have more than 1 copy of a LOT of issues, and while Collectorz (etc) can keep track of them, there is no way to associate a physical book with an entry in the database.

Collectorz recently added bar-code support, but imho, they missed the boat entirely with this option. They use it merely to enter in new books into the DB, which was a pretty painless process to begin with. Allowing bar-code reading isn't really very useful, especially if you collect anything without barcodes.

They SHOULD have added the ability to print a barcode onto labels, and associate those codes to specific books in the DB. You take the label, stick it on the back of the bag for each book, and when you go to look up copy 3 out of the 7 copies of whatever book you have, you can determine which book it is that you are going to pull out of the box. Or you can quickly scan a book you pull out, and have it jump directly to that books Database entry so you can know what you paid for it, etc., etc.

Without this feature, most of the tools and sites mentioned here are pretty worthless.

My biggest complaint about all the solutions mentioned (and I use Collectorz, fwiw), is the lack of inventory management.

I have more than 1 copy of a LOT of issues, and while Collectorz (etc) can keep track of them, there is no way to associate a physical book with an entry in the database.

Collectorz recently added bar-code support, but imho, they missed the boat entirely with this option. They use it merely to enter in new books into the DB, which was a pretty painless process to begin with. Allowing bar-code reading isn't really very useful, especially if you collect anything without barcodes.

They SHOULD have added the ability to print a barcode onto labels, and associate those codes to specific books in the DB. You take the label, stick it on the back of the bag for each book, and when you go to look up copy 3 out of the 7 copies of whatever book you have, you can determine which book it is that you are going to pull out of the box. Or you can quickly scan a book you pull out, and have it jump directly to that books Database entry so you can know what you paid for it, etc., etc.

Without this feature, most of the tools and sites mentioned here are pretty worthless.

They're hardly worthless, but being able to print out a label to stick on your comic sounds like a great idea. Have you suggested it to the Collectorz folks?

They're hardly worthless, but being able to print out a label to stick on your comic sounds like a great idea. Have you suggested it to the Collectorz folks?

You're right, worthless is too harsh a word. I find they are really just organized lists with no real other functionality or purpose. I paid for 2 versions of collectorz, so clearly I dont find it worthless. :)

I have (and in fact reiterated it just today after writing that post). I was met with resistance in my previous attempts from the developers. Especially when I commented that adding new books via barcode wasn't much of a time save since you have to then go back and manually enter each new books value, grade, etc. etc.. The scanner really only saves you about 2 clicks.

my post:

http://www.collectorz.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20116&p=117606#p117606

edit:

Im a software developer by trade, so I'm very VERY tempted to just write a competing software on my own with this functionality. Seems invaluable to large collectors and dealers.

COLLECTORZ (again :sumo: )

th_collectorz1.jpgth_collectorz2.jpgth_collectorz3.jpgth_collectorz4.jpg

FYI, MAC version pushed back until at least June :frustrated:

It is odd that they have an iPad app but not software that doesn't mesh with a mac. What version of the software do people tend to get? Also, is the barcode scanner worth it?