• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collection Tracking Software?

69 posts in this topic

Comicbase enables you to create your own upc barcode to register your comics for your collection. I've done it myself for the past few years and the scanning technology with the manhattan scanner is awesome. ComicBase version 15 is out right now. Go to www.comicbase.com for more.

Software that requires a yearly subscription fee sucks.

How would you handle the problem of many variants that are not in any

database? I collect all DCs and include variants. At present, my list of DC

variants has 2135 variants of 1681 different issues so, if I had them all, that

would be 3816 issues to include (along with well over 40,000 other regular

issues without, at lest as of this week, any variants). This count of variants will

change every week as DC typically produces from 3 - 10 variants every week.

I am also identifying additional older variants that I need to add to the list so I

would have to alter existing entries (like changing All Star 3 from one

entry to All Star 3A & All Star 3B).

I doubt I will get any program myself since the problem of entering some

40,000 - 45,000 entries would keep me busy 24x7 for many months.

How would you handle the problem of many variants that are not in any database?

CCL is as comprehensive as I can imagine. It's user defined and user verified, so any new user that spots one missing gets it added. New issues are added automatically with variants.

Giving ComicBase a try since it is the only one that appears to have the barcode tracking I want...

Is there anyone with come experience with ComicBase who can answer a few questions? Their own forums seem to not have much traffic (which is probably a bad sign)

Is there no way to quickly view my entire collection, or am I always limited to a single title at a time? It feels very claustrophobic not being able to glance over the entire collection.

How do I add my own front and back cover scans for a specific entry?

In each title listing, I only want to see the issues I own, not the entire run. How do I turn off displaying unowned issues?

I began to use ComicBase 15 express edition, I work just great, I didn't try Collectorz because I think they have no chance to follow the price of your comics, I mean ComicBase is helpful to track which is the price for certain grade of comic (FN. VF, MN) and how much worth it. I guess Collectorz haven't.

I also run ComicBase in a Mac (BootCamp Windows Mode)

I'm waiting for my upgrade to the archive edition Blu-ray, then I will tell you how it work

Comicbase enables you to create your own upc barcode to register your comics for your collection. I've done it myself for the past few years and the scanning technology with the manhattan scanner is awesome. ComicBase version 15 is out right now. Go to www.comicbase.com for more.

Software that requires a yearly subscription fee sucks.

I guess that applies to Comic Collector Live as well.

Does Collectorz allow for the input of a grade for your book? I browsed the web page but did not see that info.

Giving ComicBase a try since it is the only one that appears to have the barcode tracking I want...

Is there anyone with come experience with ComicBase who can answer a few questions? Their own forums seem to not have much traffic (which is probably a bad sign)

Is there no way to quickly view my entire collection, or am I always limited to a single title at a time? It feels very claustrophobic not being able to glance over the entire collection.

How do I add my own front and back cover scans for a specific entry?

In each title listing, I only want to see the issues I own, not the entire run. How do I turn off displaying unowned issues?

To view the entire collection, I think you have to run a report.

Click "Report" from the tool menu

Click "Collection Report"

In the "Tiltels to Print" box, click "choose"

Click "Titles in Stock"

Then in the list box, click a title, then press CTL-A to select all titles and click ok.

This will close that window out, then click preview (It will take a couple minutes or so to run the report, depending on the size of your collection)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding pictures is fairly easy, but, you can only do 1 pic, not both front and back (or at least I haven't found a way)

First, find your picture. Easiest way is to open the folder that the picture is stored in. I think you need to keep the pic size under 300k. On Raw books, I size it to about 640 x 950 (or so)

Second, Have Comic Base open and navigate to the issue that you want to add the pic to.

Then, just drag and drop the pic, from the folder the pic is in, to the box to the direct left of the issue number column.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you can view only the owned titles in a run, however, it does change the color of the issue # box to blue, so, you can see what issues you own at a glance.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Im a software developer by trade, so I'm very VERY tempted to just write a competing software on my own with this functionality. Seems invaluable to large collectors and dealers.

Do it! This is how the best stuff is created, someone with passion sees a need, not someone with VC seeing dollar signs.

Also...does Collectorz allow input of grade? I've poked around a little bit on the newly released mac trial version and didn't see that anywhere.

Yes you can input a grade for your book in collectorz. You can add as much information as you want. You can also use a barcode scanner since 5.0.

Im a software developer by trade, so I'm very VERY tempted to just write a competing software on my own with this functionality. Seems invaluable to large collectors and dealers.

Do it! This is how the best stuff is created, someone with passion sees a need, not someone with VC seeing dollar signs.

Also...does Collectorz allow input of grade? I've poked around a little bit on the newly released mac trial version and didn't see that anywhere.

I got tired of waiting on CollectorZ and my trial run with ComicBase was abysmal (it's almost entirely unsealable in it's basic functionality, imho. And for a subscription fee?!?! No thanks!). So I whipped this together on Sunday...

That said this is VERY first pass. Simply a weekend project. It was done 100% in C# WPF.

You export a set of XML data (your entire collection, a subset, etc.) from Collectorz and the app parses it, creating Avery 5160 (3M 3100-A,B,C) standard labels in ready for printing right in the application. (yes, I sorta ripped the layout of the label off from ComicBase. :o )

The barcode (Code128) is generated based on the database ID of the book. I personally make a unique entry for every book rather than use the "quantity" for each duplicate book. This ensures that my barcode is unique to every individual book. The barcode is a genuine image barcode. Writing the Code128 generator was pretty easy and a fun learning experience. :)

I then just print the sheet, and matching up the index number on the right to Collectorz book number entry, I stick the label on the bag, and scan the barcode into the User Defined->User Text 1 field. I can now simply grab a book, hit search or use the field at the top of Collectorz, and scan the book. Viola, That book is instantly returned! :)

Here's what the app looks like:

barcode.jpg

Here's what the printed label looks like. Publisher image is on the far left. The Title and issue number along the top, the price below that, the database index number on the right side of the price, then the grade below that, and finally the barcode. I'll probably play with the layout, spacing, fonts, and sizing to get it looking a bit more professional. :)

label.jpg

I've got a few things to polish and make it useable by people other than me; afte

I got tired of waiting on CollectorZ and my trial run with ComicBase was abysmal (it's almost entirely unsealable in it's basic functionality, imho. And for a subscription fee?!?! No thanks!). So I whipped this together on Sunday...

That said this is VERY first pass. Simply a weekend project. It was done 100% in C# WPF.

You export a set of XML data (your entire collection, a subset, etc.) from Collectorz and the app parses it, creating Avery 5160 (3M 3100-A,B,C) standard labels in ready for printing right in the application. (yes, I sorta ripped the layout of the label off from ComicBase. :o )

The barcode (Code128) is generated based on the database ID of the book. I personally make a unique entry for every book rather than use the "quantity" for each duplicate book. This ensures that my barcode is unique to every individual book. The barcode is a genuine image barcode. Writing the Code128 generator was pretty easy and a fun learning experience. :)

I then just print the sheet, and matching up the index number on the right to Collectorz book number entry, I stick the label on the bag, and scan the barcode into the User Defined->User Text 1 field. I can now simply grab a book, hit search or use the field at the top of Collectorz, and scan the book. Viola, That book is instantly returned! :)

Here's what the app looks like:

barcode.jpg

Here's what the printed label looks like. Publisher image is on the far left. The Title and issue number along the top, the price below that, the database index number on the right side of the price, then the grade below that, and finally the barcode. I'll probably play with the layout, spacing, fonts, and sizing to get it looking a bit more professional. :)

label.jpg

I've got a few things to polish and make it useable by people other than me; afte

(worship) WOW that is great... please keep us posted and let us know when it is in the apps store ;)

I use Collectorz and think it is pretty good. I had to customize it a bit to get it to do what I want... All I need now is Sl4ppy's label app and Collectorz to link up with GPA to auto fill the current value field (and showing $ history imported from GPA would be cool also).

I smell a search button comment brewing. hm

Wttb.

I use stashmycomics cause it be free!

I'm giving stashmycomics a try, 'cause I love the word FREE, but several times I've been shocked at the value it put on certain books.

My 3D Aventures Superman- 4.0 - was given something like $36 when guide shows it @ $225+

Then I entered a raw New Mutants 98- 9.2 - and it assigned it @ $440!! (shrug) The other New Mut 98 was 9.0 and it got $76.

Granted the OSPG is about a year old, and for the most part I like the prices it automatically gives my SA books (except the 3D Sup :mad: ), but it all just seems a little generous. Are they going by market reports? I mean $440 for a 9.2... there has GOT to be a ton out there ???

I smell a search button comment brewing. hm

Wttb.

I use stashmycomics cause it be free!

I'm giving stashmycomics a try, 'cause I love the word FREE, but several times I've been shocked at the value it put on certain books.

My 3D Aventures Superman- 4.0 - was given something like $36 when guide shows it @ $225+

Then I entered a raw New Mutants 98- 9.2 - and it assigned it @ $440!! (shrug) The other New Mut 98 was 9.0 and it got $76.

Granted the OSPG is about a year old, and for the most part I like the prices it automatically gives my SA books (except the 3D Sup :mad: ), but it all just seems a little generous. Are they going by market reports? I mean $440 for a 9.2... there has GOT to be a ton out there ???

StashMyComics.com is great if you just want to store your inventory, grades & notes. Don't rely on it for pricing as it looks like its been done by Mile High.

I use it to keep count of everything and thats it.

StashMyComics.com is great if you just want to store your inventory, grades & notes. Don't rely on it for pricing as it looks like its been done by Mile High.

I use it to keep count of everything and thats it.

Seems like sound advice. Their prices are all over the place. As I said, some obviously look real [unbelievably] nice, but others make no sense. All my old Turok S.o.S.'s are listed as less than a dime. lol