• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spiderman as iconic as Superman?

194 posts in this topic

I know Spidey has always been a popular comic among the comic buying community but obviously the character became an American pop culture phenom...

Is it because of the successful movies? Are the movies responsible for taking this already popular superhero and catapult him into the stratosphere?

I ask because (seems to me) before the movie craze most early Spidey's (including AF15) were easily attainable. I bought AF15 and ASM 1 for a song back in the early 90s and wish I still had 'em. :cry:

Is there room for other characters to become this big in the Marvel Universe especially with the pending movies?

Will Cap become that popular too? Could Iron Man finally break into the masses with the coming of the Avengers and IM 3? Could Thor surprise us all?

Or, will Spidey always be the king of the Marvel hill? hm

It's the red and blue tights. And Spidey was ultra popular well before there was ever a blockbuster movie.

(thumbs u

I think Spider-Man is roughly tied with Batman for popularity, and Superman is behind them both.

Superman is lame, and hasn't really been relevant for years. Why is he placed first? Just because he came first?

It's the red and blue tights. And Spidey was ultra popular well before there was ever a blockbuster movie.

(thumbs u

I certainly remember my underoo craze in the 70s...had something to do with Spidey's tights! :o

Yes, spidey was ultra popular but he has become a icon as Micky Mouse and Superman. Has that always been the case before the movies? And, will any other Marvel hero become the Batman (or #2 character)?

I think Spider-Man is more iconic b/c people can related to him than Superman.

But that's just my opinion lol

I think that's it exactly. The whole appeal with Spider-Man was that so many readers could identify with Peter Parker, the unpopular nerd.

Yeah,Superman is too perfect for anyone to relate.

I know Spidey has always been a popular comic among the comic buying community but obviously the character became an American pop culture phenom...

Is it because of the successful movies? Are the movies responsible for taking this already popular superhero and catapult him into the stratosphere?

Not alone. Saturday morning cartoons, cross licensing... lots of factors played a role.

I ask because (seems to me) before the movie craze most early Spidey's (including AF15) were easily attainable. I bought AF15 and ASM 1 for a song back in the early 90s and wish I still had 'em. :cry:

They're still easily obtainable... unless you want a 9.6 ;) . And define 'for a song'. I didn't see AF15 and ASM 1 beside the Turok 1s in the early 90s.

Is there room for other characters to become this big in the Marvel Universe especially with the pending movies?

Will Cap become that popular too? Could Iron Man finally break into the masses with the coming of the Avengers and IM 3? Could Thor surprise us all?

Or, will Spidey always be the king of the Marvel hill? hm

Doubt it. Spidey has always had a je-ne-sais-quoi that captured the imagination.

I think that's it exactly. The whole appeal with Spider-Man was that so many readers could identify with Peter Parker, the unpopular nerd.

+ If he was human, he'd be a pushover...remember when he got his azz handed to him in the diner when he didn't have any powers...in one of the movies..it was by an old guy too.....booooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

the fact that superman came from a distant planet is obsured, but getting bit by a radioactive spider causing one to obtain the charctaristics of a spider....well its more likely than a baby hurling through outer space to get here. people like believable. in a dreamworld kinda way i can picture spidey swinging around NYC today.

+ If he was human, he'd be a pushover...remember when he got his azz handed to him in the diner when he didn't have any powers...in one of the movies..it was by an old guy too.....booooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

That was in Superman II :P

I perfer Wolverine or Spider-Man over Superman any day :headbang:

The only other Marvel character that comes close in recognition/popularity to Spidey is Wolverine. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, etc. are fun but are nowhere near that level.

I have posted this before, but if you are looking at worldwide recognition there are probably only 5 franchises that will stand the test of time:

1) Batman

2) Spider-Man

3) Superman

4) Wolverine

5) TMNT

If you want to "invest" in comics, just focus on the 1st appearances of these 5 for the long run.........

The only other Marvel character that comes close in recognition/popularity to Spidey is Wolverine. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, etc. are fun but are nowhere near that level.

I have posted this before, but if you are looking at worldwide recognition there are probably only 5 franchises that will stand the test of time:

1) Batman

2) Spider-Man

3) Superman

4) Wolverine

5) TMNT

If you want to "invest" in comics, just focus on the 1st appearances of these 5 for the long run.........

May I have some of whatever it is you are ingesting?

1) Batman

2) Spider-Man

3) Superman

4) Wolverine

5) TMNT

May I have some of whatever it is you are ingesting?

5) TMNT?

Really???

I think Spider-Man is roughly tied with Batman for popularity, and Superman is behind them both.

Superman is lame, and hasn't really been relevant for years. Why is he placed first? Just because he came first?

Amen! I know this will hurt some Supes fan's feelings, but I can't think of a more boring, uninspiring, and tired hero than Superman.

TBH, most DC characters fall into that same category for me; they just aren't compelling. Note, I said most not ALL.

Spidey is more relate-able because he is one of he is the same demographic as his core audience; a troubled kid with more going on in his life than just being a hero...

I don't think the movies had anything to do with it. The reason the books were cheaper 30 years ago is because they were only 30 years old at that point. I don't think any Marvel character that isn't already iconic ever will be. It's POSSIBLE another Wolverine is created someday, maybe Deadpool is it, but I don't think so. I do think Spider-Man is every bit as iconic as Superman. I don't think AF15 is as rare as Action 1, but disregarding value and length of time existing, they are both big characters.