• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

1st to 3rd  

414 members have voted

1. 1. 1st to 3rd

116 posts in this topic

I'm guessing the story of Goodman on the golf course is apocryphal...seems I read that somewhere....

hm

In any event, FF #1 and Showcase #4 are TIED at 38 votes each right now.

Who'da thunk it?

this seems like more a reflection of how far FF has fallen rather than any uptick in Showcase #4. IIRC, the last go round on this poll had AF #15 and FF #1 in a virtual dead heat for #1. no mas.

I'm guessing the story of Goodman on the golf course is apocryphal...seems I read that somewhere....

hm

Who'da thunk it?

this seems like more a reflection of how far FF has fallen rather than any uptick in Showcase #4. IIRC, the last go round on this poll had AF #15 and FF #1 in a virtual dead heat for #1. no mas.

FF#1 is important but will keep on falling in terms of demand/desirebility as times goes on

hm

Who'da thunk it?

FF#1 is important but will keep on falling in terms of demand/desirebility as times goes on

Highly doubtful.

FF#1

Showcase #4

This was s VERY fun and Informative poll due to all of the comments each round.

(you just have to siphon out the Marvel/DC banter)

Thank-you so much for setting it up and running it.

(my only constructive criticism would be that the last rounds could use a different elimination method)

hm

Who'da thunk it?

Highly doubtful.

Ff1 vs. Af15; they heading in opposite directions as time goes by

if its true as the story goes that Martin Goodman told Stan to create a team book after hearing that the JLA was successful for DC, and STan then and there set out creating the FF, there should be no argument that the MOST IMPORTANT SA book was Brave and Bold 28.

But there IS an argument. There would have been no JLA if the Flash revival wasnt successful. Therefore, Showcase 4 would be the most important, according to your criteria.

but Goodman and Stan were not interested in following DC UNTIL BB28. To them Showcase 4, 8, 22, etc never happened on their radar. Only after golf dod Goodman ORDER Stan to create a team book.

so yeah, showcase 4 led to JLA etc, but, so did Showcase 3, and every other comic book produced. My angle cedes the SA to excitement over Marvels new fangled take on superheroes. If you agree that the SA was the Marvel Age, and a large majority do as we see in every poll like this, ....the only DC book that matters is BB28 because it jumpstarted Marvels superheroes.

Stan had no interest in superheroes until Goodman pushed him. Thats when he said to his wife "but Ill do them MY way this time!"

Very good points. Maybe then Flash 105 is more important in the story than we have given it credit for.

Maybe it showed DC that super heroes (other than the big three) were in demand again as an ongoing series rather than the one offs in Showcase. (shrug)

if its true as the story goes that Martin Goodman told Stan to create a team book after hearing that the JLA was successful for DC, and STan then and there set out creating the FF, there should be no argument that the MOST IMPORTANT SA book was Brave and Bold 28.

But there IS an argument. There would have been no JLA if the Flash revival wasnt successful. Therefore, Showcase 4 would be the most important, according to your criteria.

but Goodman and Stan were not interested in following DC UNTIL BB28. To them Showcase 4, 8, 22, etc never happened on their radar. Only after golf dod Goodman ORDER Stan to create a team book.

so yeah, showcase 4 led to JLA etc, but, so did Showcase 3, and every other comic book produced. My angle cedes the SA to excitement over Marvels new fangled take on superheroes. If you agree that the SA was the Marvel Age, and a large majority do as we see in every poll like this, ....the only DC book that matters is BB28 because it jumpstarted Marvels superheroes.

Stan had no interest in superheroes until Goodman pushed him. Thats when he said to his wife "but Ill do them MY way this time!"

Very good points. Maybe then Flash 105 is more important in the story than we have given it credit for.

Maybe it showed DC that super heroes (other than the big three) were in demand again as an ongoing series rather than the one offs in Showcase. (shrug)

And yet, Lois Lane got her own title after only two appearances in Showcase, while the Flash needed four appearances to secure his own title. :grin:

And yet, Lois Lane got her own title after only two appearances in Showcase, while the Flash needed four appearances to secure his own title. :grin:

Or another way to look at it is that it took Lois Lane 20 years to get her own title.

:idea:

As a follow-up to my last post regarding having two elimination votes for this final round:

I could be wrong, but it seems that if, for example, most Marvel fans tend to vote off FF#1 and SC#4, while if most DC fans vote off AF#15 and FF#1, then poor FF#1 might actually end up in a very close 3rd place (by default?) when this is over. If that scenario comes true, it may not actually reflect its true standing, especially in light of the results of the previous few rounds, thereby re-inforcing my (and a few others') opinion that there should only have been one vote off instead of two for this round. Otherwise, this poll has been a very useful, informative and fun exercise. Many thanks. Any thoughts?

Or another way to look at it is that it took Lois Lane 20 years to get her own title.

very true hm