• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

1st to 3rd  

414 members have voted

1. 1. 1st to 3rd

116 posts in this topic

As a follow-up to my last post regarding having two elimination votes for this final round:

I could be wrong, but it seems that if, for example, most Marvel fans tend to vote off FF#1 and SC#4, while if most DC fans vote off AF#15 and FF#1, then poor FF#1 might actually end up in a very close 3rd place (by default?) when this is over. If that scenario comes true, it may not actually reflect its true standing, especially in light of the results of the previous few rounds, thereby re-inforcing my (and a few others') opinion that there should only have been one vote off instead of two for this round. Otherwise, this poll has been a very useful, informative and fun exercise. Many thanks. Any thoughts?

Whoever sees 1koko in person should beat him unmercifully.

I voted off AF15 and SC4. To me, the Silver age began with FF1. I know the DC fans disagree and that's their right. There is a reason that ASM1 has the FF on the cover though. The First Family is still the king to me. I love Spidey and know much more about his history than the FF. All that said, Lee and Kirby's FF was so jam packed with big ideas and great stories that I feel it deserves to reign supreme a bit longer.

As a follow-up to my last post regarding having two elimination votes for this final round:

I could be wrong, but it seems that if, for example, most Marvel fans tend to vote off FF#1 and SC#4, while if most DC fans vote off AF#15 and FF#1, then poor FF#1 might actually end up in a very close 3rd place (by default?) when this is over. If that scenario comes true, it may not actually reflect its true standing, especially in light of the results of the previous few rounds, thereby re-inforcing my (and a few others') opinion that there should only have been one vote off instead of two for this round. Otherwise, this poll has been a very useful, informative and fun exercise. Many thanks. Any thoughts?

+1

You know, in terms of sheer historical importance, these three are going to finish in reverse order to my personal hierarchy. For me it's FF1, Show 4 then AF15.

I could live with that too.... :lol:

I was prepared to see SC 4 at #4 in this list. Anywhere in the top three is just gravy.

I've always considered it the top SA comic, but after this poll, I'm thinking #2 makes sense, after AF 15. I haven't yet decided whether FF 1, as the start of the Marvel Universe, quite tops SC 4, as the start of the SA and resurgence of the superhero. Although now that I write it down, maybe it does.

lol

I had thought about changing the format but it was always going to be the case that there would be some form of Marvel versus DC bias in the poll.

This was always going to be the case when I decided to ask people to determine a list based on "importance".

I deliberately left the term "important" undefined as I've always thought that the best thing about polls was the debate around the poll rather than the placement of each book.

I felt that rather than imposing my owwn definition I would allow those participating define what is important to them. Reflecting on how the poll has evolved "important" is very much a point in time reference (i.e. now) rather than at point of issuance and as such it would be interesting to see how this poll has compared to others in the past and those in the future as and when they happen.

Looking at how the last 3 books are currently positioned this is definetly reflecting Spider-man's position as one of the big three (a result that was probably never in doubt).

I am not surprised to see FF #1 in third place for the simple reason that the number of collectors who grew up reading FF is slowly dwindling. Most of the collectors I know that are around my age (I am 35) started reading/collecting comics when X-Men and ASM would have been the top two Marvel books (with Batman being the big DC character) and as a result we do not hold FF #1 in as high regard as older collectors do. For me, X-Men #1 was a bigger book to own as a teen when I started chasing higher $$$ books than FF #1 as a result of this.

In order for SC#4 to make any sort of headway in today's collecting era, I'm afraid a movie is in order. :eek: He's just not as relevant as Supes and Bats as far as DC heroes go. Even GL has a movie gig, what are they waiting for? (shrug) Although, I did enjoy watching the Flash tv series back in high school. :applause:

In order for SC#4 to make any sort of headway in today's collecting era, I'm afraid a movie is in order. :eek: He's just not as relevant as Supes and Bats as far as DC heroes go. Even GL has a movie gig, what are they waiting for? (shrug) Although, I did enjoy watching the Flash tv series back in high school. :applause:

If the Flash movie is as bad as the GL movie looks to be, I hope it never gets made. And, I hope SC 4 prices stay stagnant at least until I get my hands on one.

I am not surprised to see FF #1 in third place for the simple reason that the number of collectors who grew up reading FF is slowly dwindling. Most of the collectors I know that are around my age (I am 35) started reading/collecting comics when X-Men and ASM would have been the top two Marvel books (with Batman being the big DC character) and as a result we do not hold FF #1 in as high regard as older collectors do. For me, X-Men #1 was a bigger book to own as a teen when I started chasing higher $$$ books than FF #1 as a result of this.

Sad, but probably true. I'm sure my love for the FF colors my view of its importance.