• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is my favorite Fawcett cover by far

124 posts in this topic

master21.jpg

Its former owner (not me) still pines for this book! (worship)

I can see why you like those Vancouvers so much now. Beautiful copy. (thumbs u

It is indeed amazing to hold a book that`s almost 70 years old that looks like it just came off the newsstand. That expression gets over-used and is almost a cliche, but in this case it really is true. The freshness and vibrancy of the book, even through the slab, is simply astounding.

I heard a CGC grader say that they didn't know what white pages really were until they saw the Vancouvers. Apparently they are stunning books.

The grader should get out more. :baiting:

The best paper for comics was probably that used to print DCs in the early 40s. The pages of Church and Frisco books of some of those issues are white as any book will ever be.

I still like Whiz 25 however.

4609309059_be6f9de2eb.jpg

(thumbs u

WhizComics25cgc90-1.jpg

Fantastic!!! :cloud9:

It is indeed amazing to hold a book that`s almost 70 years old that looks like it just came off the newsstand. That expression gets over-used and is almost a cliche, but in this case it really is true. The freshness and vibrancy of the book, even through the slab, is simply astounding.

I heard a CGC grader say that they didn't know what white pages really were until they saw the Vancouvers. Apparently they are stunning books.

The best paper for comics was probably that used to print DCs in the early 40s. The pages of Church and Frisco books of some of those issues are white as any book will ever be.

From what I heard the Vancouver books were whiter than the Church books. I know Frisco books were pretty white.

From what I heard the Vancouver books were whiter than the Church books. I know Frisco books were pretty white.

There are no Vancouvers from the time period I'm referring to (was there anything earlier than Boy Commandos 1?) so while they may be relatively whiter when compared to some later books they aren't whiter than those the early DCs.

Fair enough. I was going by what I'd heard.

It's a slow night and seemed a good time to mess with you. :kidaround:

Vancouvers are very nice books but the time period they are from includes quite a number of comics printed on really poor quality pulp. Vanny's may be white yet most won't match up with those earlier DCs.

Vancouvers are very nice books but the time period they are from includes quite a number of comics printed on really poor quality pulp. Vanny's may be white yet most won't match up with those earlier DCs.

Bully.

:baiting:

master22.jpg

{gulp}... wow.

Nice! Some day I will own that trilogy.

me too, but that master 21 has eluded me thus far.

I owned the trilogy once, a long time ago, and very briefly. Then this ruthless bastich swooped in and, in an instant, they were gone

richard.jpg

That is hilarious. You can just see the ruthlessness in his eyes...

There are no Vancouvers from the time period I'm referring to (was there anything earlier than Boy Commandos 1?) so while they may be relatively whiter when compared to some later books they aren't whiter than those the early DCs.

I am going to bring a book to show you in San Diego. It has the whitest pages I've ever seen on a vintage book. And... it is NOT a pedigree copy! :o

I own a Vancouver Fox white covered book that I was pretty disappointed by the non-whiteness of the cover, even though CGC designated it as White interior pages.

The whitest, freshest looking GA book I own (in terms of front and back cover) is a Church Ibis #3. It looks even more "just off the newsstand" than the CMJ #2, although CGC only gave it an Off-White interior pages designation.

I am going to bring a book to show you in San Diego. It has the whitest pages I've ever seen on a vintage book. And... it is NOT a pedigree copy! :o

Cool. I'll bring my shades. :cool:

I own a Vancouver Fox white covered book that I was pretty disappointed by the non-whiteness of the cover, even though CGC designated it as White interior pages.

The whitest, freshest looking GA book I own (in terms of front and back cover) is a Church Ibis #3. It looks even more "just off the newsstand" than the CMJ #2, although CGC only gave it an Off-White interior pages designation.

The whiteness is partly depending on what the printing plant produced -- sometimes a book is printed on off-white cover stock and sometimes it is printed on exceptionally "white" cover stock. Whiteness is an approximate but not ultimate indicator of freshness.

Post the Ibis 3. :wishluck:

I'm very fond of many Fawcett covers and have several to choose from. However, for a different spin, I'm going to post some recent acquisitions from that collection I picked up last weekend.

I've always been partial to the very early Timelys and the very late Timelys. Not so much the ones in the middle. The same is true for Fawcetts.

So, here are a few Masters from the latter part of the run that I am pleased to own

master78.jpg

master87.jpg

master100.jpg

master104.jpg

That Master 104 is pretty cool and not often seen. I wish the photo-journals had the end of the Fawcett runs in there also. The last 20 issues or so of Captain Midnight are pretty cool too.

Nice pick up, man!

i hope threads like this and my "fenomenol fawcett..." one don't cause a ramp-up in raboy-cover prices 'til i get a little closer to filling the holes. 'bout got cmj done, but need alot of master's.

It's a very real concern. I'm trying to put together a run of the Raboy Masters also and all I can think is, heaven help one of us if a 29 or 33 comes up to auction. I think you already have all the ones that I do and a few that I don't. (thumbs u

"Prices vary widely on this book" and yes, several of them are really tough to find.

That Master 104 is pretty cool and not often seen. I wish the photo-journals had the end of the Fawcett runs in there also. The last 20 issues or so of Captain Midnight are pretty cool too.

Nice pick up, man!

Thanks Diego :)

One of my favorites:

captainmarvel5.jpg

I like it so much, I own two in the same grade! :insane:

captainmarvel5b.jpg

You are a greedy man, but I can appreciate the book twice as much this way. Thanks for posting both (thumbs u