• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Convention Question

61 posts in this topic

So, I'm headed to my first convention in about 20 years (and my first as an adult, and my first in this town-Champaign, IL so not a big market). I imagine some things have changed.

Any advice? Pointers? Things to look out for? Tips on sizing up dealers?

I just don't want to get too rooked and have a good time! (thumbs u

I find many books at cons to be overpriced, there are deals to be had however. Just have a good time. Take pictures and post them here, especially if there are attractive women in tight costumes.
(thumbs u

So, I'm headed to my first convention in about 20 years (and my first as an adult, and my first in this town-Champaign, IL so not a big market). I imagine some things have changed.

Any advice? Pointers? Things to look out for? Tips on sizing up dealers?

I just don't want to get too rooked and have a good time! (thumbs u

If you don't want to get rooked buying raw books and don't trust your resto detection and grading skills, buy from reputable people with classy set ups and ask about guarantees on raw books if restoration is found.

If you choose to go with CGC graded books, they're already graded and resto check is done for you, so you need to know what prices are fair. That might take a little study time invested by checking online prices etc.

Again, most dealers are willing to listen and discuss a price if you have real money to spend as long as the book is not a super hot or super rare item.

Bring a camera or a note pad to remember where you saw what. I usually take pictures of booths and books to remember where I saw something, otherwise I'd never be able to go back and find a book again.

Bring a bottle of water (con hunting is very dehydrating) and snack food like nuts, fruit and granola. These things will keep you energized and feeling light ans sharp without feeling light headed. Con food is generally expensive and not great for you (how much pizza can a man eat?). They were charging $4-5 for a small bottle of water at C2E2 last year. Just insane.

Dress in layers in case it's too hot or too cold (some cons are like an ice box, others are way too hot).

Bring a way to transport your books if you plan on buying a lot of stuff. Those wheely gig carry on suitcases seem to be good. I carry a laptop bag to transport stuff but I'm getting tired of carrying something on my back all weekend long and am leaning towards a wheely gig.

Finally, yes, comfortable shoes and deodorant.

Oh, and if you are a dealer's booth who posts on the boards ask about other boardies or visit a chat board dinner. They're a lot of fun.

(thumbs u

Wear comfortable shoes & deodorant.

(worship)

We need to drink together at a show again one day.

Roy will pay :D

It always seems to end up that way, doesn't it?

:baiting:

Some great advice here. I would suggest mints or gum too.

I don't know why, but I always need breath mints at shows.

Forgot that one.

(thumbs u

Wear comfortable shoes & deodorant.

(worship)

We need to drink together at a show again one day.

Roy will pay :D

It always seems to end up that way, doesn't it?

:baiting:

(worship)

Business cards and your phone to give your name & contact out and take dealers'. Very important if you are going to a small show (as most of what judicious advice Roy is giving is valid for larger shows) as you can start building your network for purchases between shows.

Have fun!

Business cards and your phone to give your name & contact out and take dealers'. Very important if you are going to a small show (as most of what judicious advice Roy is giving is valid for larger shows) as you can start building your network for purchases between shows.

Have fun!

Yeah, sorry. For some reason with Chicago around the corner I thought he was going to a big show until I reread the initial post.

Thanks, all, this is exactly the kind of thing I was asking about. You mentioned bringing the guide. Maybe you all can tell me if my guess is right (from watching on here). Seems like guide is a pretty rough approximation at best. Below 9.0, probably 20-75% of guide is reasonable but above it's more accurate (or it matters less than how much you want the book-in which case it's more about what you'll pay and how much $$ you've got).

Sound reasonable? (This is more for my future- tomorrow's more about wandering than buying for me).

Avoid box-diving on the floor (or any situation where you might be at eye level with someone's backside) at all costs.

Yeah, there might be some good deals down there, but the night terrors and lingering emotional anguish just ain't worth it...

fat_namor.jpg