• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Convention Question

61 posts in this topic

comicspriceguide.com + GPAnalysis.com smart/iPhone.

Sure the pricing isn't the greatest on CPG.com, but it's a good ballpark!

Book mark the titles your after and it's a breeze.

I've found cpg.com to be a decent guide for non-key, non-high grade stuff.

And if you're buying a pricey book, ASK the dealer if you can look through it. Some want to take it out of the bag for you, which is safe for you because if the book is damaged at that point, it's not your fault. If you do remove the book, remove the tape ENTIRELY. I usually stick it to the bottom of the bag. Depending on the condition of the book, I will sometimes ask the dealer to put it back in the bag.

Count the pages. It lets you know the book is complete and lets you get a look at the condition of the interior.

This is very good advice. You want to be very careful with someone else's property.

And at the same time you need to protect yourself, even on the small investments of your money and time.

Even the best of dealers when working with volume can miss something on a book.

Wear comfortable shoes & deodorant.

(worship)

We need to drink together at a show again one day.

Roy will pay :D

It always seems to end up that way, doesn't it?

:baiting:

Roy, are you going to SDCC? I need free drinks

:baiting:

I'm always happy to share.

lol

remember if you actually wear deodorant they will know you have not been to a show for a while, also you may have more trouble muscling into the long boxes.

Maybe bring some deodorant just in case, but wearing it... (shrug)

lol

British humor.

:cloud9:

remember if you actually wear deodorant they will know you have not been to a show for a while, also you may have more trouble muscling into the long boxes.

Maybe bring some deodorant just in case, but wearing it... (shrug)

lol

British humor.

:cloud9:

seriously,

dont brush for 3 days, eat spicy food during that time, run around the block twice, no shower, wear an open arms wife beater with "I aint leavin till I get a bettr price!", and refuse to leave until you get the deal you want.

They will know you mean business and will be keen to be rid of you as you turn their snow white book to brittle pages.

110212.jpg.0e6c67992a94eaa9156e0a8afab55848.jpg

comicspriceguide.com + GPAnalysis.com + smart/iPhone.

Sure the pricing isn't the greatest on CPG.com, but it's a good ballpark!

Book mark the titles your after and it's a breeze.

Allow me to pimp my wares again: my iPhone want list app Comic Hound has a notes field you can use to put price range information in.

Wow, I forgot how much fun that is! True, it was a smallish room with 5 dealers and not a giant con, but a great 're-entry' level experience for me. Picked up a long box of books for 100 bucks and All-Star 58 (FN+, might be F/VF), All-Star 64 CGC 9.4 and All-Star CGC 65 9.4 (both white) all three for 70.

More importantly, met a few nice locals and saw a bunch of cool books/

I was trying to decide to before all this whether to sell all my comics and pay off my house (or something equally responsible)-looks like the hobby has sucked me back in. My wallet is cursing my name.

(thumbs u

Don't impulse buy.

The book that you want that seems to be really inexpensive and will be snapped up if you don't buy it immediately, probably won't be. In fact, it has happened to me only once, with a Spider-man in the late teens. Take a good look through the convention before purchasing.

Also, do you that song about Champagne, Illinois that is to the tune of Desolation Row. It is a great song!

That's solid advice.

I'll add that you shouldn't worry about someone else buying it before you.

The best buying advice I ever got was this:

'There will always be another collection.'

Look for the old guy with the 1980's Kirk Hammett look going on.

lol

1st round is on me. Can't wait. SD might just be the most fun I've ever had at a con.

(thumbs u

Really great advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it. I wish I were buying a pile of books, but since I'm after a single digit FF in CGC, I'll be lucky to pull just one off, but maybe I can play the pile game with a few of the later issues.

Seriously, thanks all!

So, I'm headed to my first convention in about 20 years (and my first as an adult, and my first in this town-Champaign, IL so not a big market). I imagine some things have changed.

Any advice? Pointers? Things to look out for? Tips on sizing up dealers?

I just don't want to get too rooked and have a good time! (thumbs u

Q ...How do you tell when a comic dealer is lying ?

A ...His lips will be moving.

.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Really great advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it. I wish I were buying a pile of books, but since I'm after a single digit FF in CGC, I'll be lucky to pull just one off, but maybe I can play the pile game with a few of the later issues.

Seriously, thanks all!

I've been reading your posts and I'm an FF fan also. My advice to you is to find that copy of FF 3 that you REALLY want. I never owned a 1, 2, or 3 until I was over 40....and when I finally got them, it was almost a Zen moment. GOD BLESS...

Oh and I'm from Va. Beach. You know Trilogy? I grew up in that comic shop...

I've known Jerry for years. I lost my driving priveleges 10 years ago and don't get there much any more...and I definitely miss it. Bender's and Comic Cubicle are my LCS's. Do you ever go to the Richmond shows? GOD BLESS...

Seriously, thanks all!

I've been reading your posts and I'm an FF fan also. My advice to you is to find that copy of FF 3 that you REALLY want. I never owned a 1, 2, or 3 until I was over 40....and when I finally got them, it was almost a Zen moment. GOD BLESS...

You know, I never thought I would be content with collecting but when I finished my mini run of Marvel Comics #1-13 I felt like I could stop collecting for good.

(thumbs u