• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I be reading?

19 posts in this topic

I've been out of reading new books for a time, while i rebuilt my collections of Transformers, Death's Head, Dragon's Claws and Punisher that i read as a kid (Pixies stole them all from my house)

So now that i'm ready to read again which books should i look in to? If any of them started with #1s in the past year i'll pick up the back issues but im willing to give a book a go thats on its millionth #

No particular order:

Non-Super Hero:

Hellblazer

100 Bullets

Fables

Y: The Last Man

Preacher (Series complete. Get the trades)

Transmetropolitan (Series complete. Get the trades)

Anything related to "30 Days of Night"

The Goon

El Cazador

Super Hero:

Planetary

Daredevil

Ultimates

Fantastic Four

Wanted

Ultimate Spider-Man

Welcome to the boards.

I don't know what your reading tastes are so I'll just give you my current list of faves:

Y The Last Man - a vertigo title that is up to issue 21 or 20

Flash - this one is up to about issue 208. Johns is doing a great job with the character. He is also doing some good work on JSA.

Teen Titans - A truly fun read also handled by Geoff Johns

Superman/Batman - Loeb has made this a very fun, action packed read.

Conan - just hit issue 2. Dark Horse has some good talent on this book with Busiek and Nord.

Others worth checking out:

Planetary

100 Bullets

Swamp Thing (just started but showing promise)

I would also suggest picking up USM and UXM in tpb. You could pick them up on a monthly basis but, like a lot of board members, I think Bendis is stretching his story arcs out over too many issues.

There are actually quite a few very good comics on the stands right now. You picked a good time to come back.

No particular order:

Non-Super Hero:

Hellblazer

100 Bullets

Fables

The Goon

El Cazador

Super Hero:

Planetary

Daredevil

Ultimates

Fantastic Four

Wanted

Ultimate Spider-Man

Hey now! You didn't put 100 Bullets at the top of your list!

Man I forgot about Fables and UFF.

No particular order:

Non-Super Hero:

Hellblazer

100 Bullets

Fables

The Goon

El Cazador

Super Hero:

Planetary

Daredevil

Ultimates

Fantastic Four

Wanted

Ultimate Spider-Man

Damn, Chris, it's like we share a brain... but I would make the following changes and I demand that you do the same. Immediately.

wink.gif

Drop Ultimate Spider-Man (a whole lot of nothin' going on there).

Add Exiles. Greatest "What If?"-type series ever.

Oh, and add "Runaways"... tons o' fun. It's hitting the seemingly inevitable Vaughan-style "Dead Zone", but I have hopes for a full recovery a la "Y-The Last Man."

Other than that, it would appear that basically we have exactly the same pull list. 893applaud-thumb.gif

(And add Conan and Swamp Thing.)

Other than that, it would appear that basically we have exactly the same pull list.

Hmmm....I don't know if I should be happy or terrified. tongue.gif Unfortunately, I lack your "ginsu wit" (and that cool hat and sideburns).

(gossip.gif Conan and Swamp Thing are on my pull list as well. blush.gif)

Puny is in the top 5 most popular characters Marvel has.

Ennis writing is the only thing the book has going for it (and the Bradstreet covers cloud9.gif), but it's just like his Preacher stuff w/out the "cool". Just MHO.

Other than that, it would appear that basically we have exactly the same pull list.

Hmmm....I don't know if I should be happy or terrified. tongue.gif Unfortunately, I lack your "ginsu wit" (and that cool hat and sideburns).

(gossip.gif Conan and Swamp Thing are on my pull list as well. blush.gif)

Ginsu-what, now? Obviously you have me confused with someone else? Perhaps the dashing and charming and freakishly-endowed MajorKhaos? Me? I am the lowly Clark Khaos... reporter for a major midwestern metropolis newspaper... nothing to see here... move along... juggle.gif

Obviously you have me confused with someone else?

Oops! My bad. It seems he (MajorKhaos) has left us with nothing more than memories. And I so wanted to hear his review of the KC Comicon. frown.gif

I personally continue to hold to Uncanny X-Men (more out of a love for the old days then anything else...). I also pick up Wolverine, which isnt a bad book. If you want something just starting, I recommend the Thanos series. Its well written and drawn with a pretty good story plot! thumbsup2.gif

I jumped on the 100 Bullets bandwagon a few weeks ago. All six TPBs I found to be excellent, with 4 probably the best.

I have also read all three available Y The Last Man TPBs. A good story. Interesting and fun. I am going to positively smack someone though if any more ninjas turn up. foreheadslap.gif Puh-leeze.

Next stop: Preacher and Hellblazer.

[!@#%^&^], no qualms with your additions, but have you even been reading USM lately? In the last few issues, we've had a cat fight between Elektra and Black Cat, with Spidey joining the fun and then last issue, a great setup scene for what will be a major Spidey/Doc Ock battle. It's a fun comic. One of my favorites. A little too much "teen angst" sometimes, but at least the stories are decent.

Now Ultimate FF, there's a snoozer.

Just throwing mine out..

The Walking Dead - very good Zombie story with nice artwork

Lone - Gun toting adventures in the future

Y The Last Man - 3 TPB's out right now that will just about make you current

The Hedge Knight - just grabbed issues 1-5 Wednesday and they are great.

Thanos - Even with a very minor amount of background on the character you'll like

Punisher Max - Oh My God ! The Gore, the cursing--Adult comics at its best

Conan - #1 is out in reprint, and #2 you should be able to get at your LCS

[!@#%^&^], no qualms with your additions, but have you even been reading USM lately? In the last few issues, we've had a cat fight between Elektra and Black Cat, with Spidey joining the fun and then last issue, a great setup scene for what will be a major Spidey/Doc Ock battle. It's a fun comic. One of my favorites. A little too much "teen angst" sometimes, but at least the stories are decent.

Now Ultimate FF, there's a snoozer.

I don't know. I gave them (the Ultimate books) a shot, they covered NO new ground and did NOTHING differently... this is why I like Exiles. Everything is different, nothing is sacred, and you never know what's coming next. I can't freaking wait to see what happens at the end of the current "King Hyperion" storyline!! So if Venom eats Aunt May's head off, and she stays dead, make mine Ultimate Marvel... if not... confused-smiley-013.gifwink.gif