• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Investment - All Star 8, Sensation 1 or Wonder Woman 1
1 1

68 posts in this topic

She's not the feature story, but it's not an ad, or a "teaser" panel. I was looking to see if I had a reprint to scan.

Does the Hulk appear in #180? I thought that was just an ad?

Wolverine has a half splash at the end of #180 (in full costume) and is referenced earlier in the book. It is, ostensibly, his true first appearance. That said, #181, like Sensation #1, is his first cover appearance and he's the star of the book.

I was the underbidder on the 9.2 copy of Sensation #1 at Heritage a while back. I don't really collect slabs anymore and have never collected GA, but that book stood out to me with the first cover appearance. I would not have had any interest in AS #8. (shrug)

Gene;

First of all, I am absolutely shocked to hear that you were actually thinking of picking up a GA book. :o

Since the AS #8 has a 9-page story and origin dedicated to Wonder Woman, I certainly would not put it in the same class as Hulk #180 versus Hulk #181. I think 'Tec #27 and Batman #1 would be a closer comparison and we all know which book is better out of these two. hm

Not to dig up an old thread, but I also think the Sensation Comics #1 wins hands down when looking at the cover/slab. It's also much harder to find in high grades.

That said, All-Star #8 does have a 9 page story on Wonder Woman, so it does easily qualify as WW's first appearance. I'd prefer both, but either one will find a soft spot for some collectors depending on their views. WW #1 would be a distant 3rd to me, though there's something to be said about a characters 1st sole book/title, plus it's the long-lived series that's still going today.

Unfortunately, i don't own any of the big three (yet...but maybe soon...), but I imagine I'll focus on the Sensation Comics #1 first since I think it's the hardest to get in a mid/upper grade, then work on the others as time/price/money permits.

Not to dig up an old thread, but I also think the Sensation Comics #1 wins hands down when looking at the cover/slab. It's also much harder to find in high grades.

Sensation #1: 9 copies CGC graded 8.0 or better, including two copies in 9.4

All Star #8: 4 copies CGC graded 8.0 or better, highest grade 9.0

hm

Sensation #1: 9 copies CGC graded 8.0 or better, including two copies in 9.4

All Star #8: 4 copies CGC graded 8.0 or better, highest grade 9.0

hm

Ahh, you got me. Census does show more mid/high-grade Sensations, but it does seem like there are fewer available for sale (maybe more in private hands?). Or it could be I'm only searching for a Sensation at this point, so I don't have a grasp for how hard it is to find the All-Star :blush:

Overall census shows 38 Universal graded Sensation 1 and 55 Universal All-Star 8, so it's pretty close. I think it's just a matter of preference, and I prefer to have them both (wishful thinking, of course).

Edited by RobioAXP

Interesting topic and a bit out of my league as owning any of the 3 is a bit far off in the future I think.

That being said, I absolutely love the cover to Wonder Woman 1... to me it's more iconic than the others.

I'm not sure why I think that but I'm just drawn to that cover and can't wait to someday own one!

Maybe it's the war theme or the fact that they used 'Doughboy' style helmets for the US troops (if those are US troops and not British)... and then you have the Germans with their Maxims, a really well drawn horse, a yellow cover that pops...

I don't know.

I guess it's just me! :)

There are 3 copies of Sensation Comics #1 on eBay, 1 on CC, 1 on clink, 1 on Heritage offered for sale at the moment and there's going to be another 1 in the upcoming CC auction and 2 more in an upcoming HA auction.

These are all public sales and I know of at least 2 more private collectors who wouldn't mind selling their copies for the right price.

I don't see how Sensation Comics #1 is rarely up for sale (shrug)

Don't get me wrong, I like the book but there is not really a lot going on for it. If I remember correctly, Rick posted earlier in this thread that none of these books are really rare or unavailable.

There are 3 copies of Sensation Comics #1 on eBay, 1 on CC, 1 on clink, 1 on Heritage offered for sale at the moment and there's going to be another 1 in the upcoming CC auction and 2 more in an upcoming HA auction.

These are all public sales and I know of at least 2 more private collectors who wouldn't mind selling their copies for the right price.

I don't see how Sensation Comics #1 is rarely up for sale (shrug)

Don't get me wrong, I like the book but there is not really a lot going on for it. If I remember correctly, Rick posted earlier in this thread that none of these books are really rare or unavailable.

I think "rare" is subjective, but I'd say 38 graded books in existence would qualify to me (I've been more of a SA collector, and an X-Men #1 can be a dime a dozen compared to this). Heck, Action #1 has 28 universal graded books, so isn't far off the pace. WW certainly doesn't have the following that Supes or Batman have, but it's an important book to true WW fans. Certainly more WW books come up for sale due to the fewer hardcore collectors, but it's still a rare key in my opinion.

Most of the ones you listed as for sale have huge warts, so I've been discounting those in my mind:

• 3 eBay comics: 2 are restored plod, one of which is PGX graded, and the 3rd is also the same one listed on ComicLink (CGC 8.5)

• ComicConnect: Good 5.5 book, but it was once listed as a 5.0 with a different Serial. It's been pressed and does look like it deserves the grade bump. But I wonder if the CGC census is over-stated since there have been two Serial #'s assigned to it (Serial #0148471001 and Serial #1053713001)?
    The 4.0 is also nice and a very attractive historical book as the Metropolitan Museum Copy
  • ComicLink: The same 8.5 book listed on eBay and way out of my price range :o
  • Heritage: 2 of the 3 listed are restored plod; the third is a CGC 3.0 which looks good but certainly well below "mid grade"

I guess my perspective is a little different, but I do agree that folks aren't knocking each other over to buy a Wonder Woman key like they may a good Superman/Batman key. I still contend that it's fairly difficult (and costly) to find a good quality Sensation #1 today without really opening up the wallet and spending a lot of time searching and researching.

Edited by RobioAXP

I find AS 8, WW 1 and Sens 1 are easy to buy and sell at the right price...

however, there is ample supply across all grades, to meet current demand... by that definition it not only cannot be "rare", but would be considered to be "plentiful" (in a relative term)

now sure, if you are putting criteria on a purchase (no "warts" etc), then you do drastically reduce the available supply, and the book becomes "rarer" by comparison, but there is NOTHING rare about AS 8 or Sens 1 or WW 1 (thumbs u

That could change pretty quick with a decent uptick in demand.

I've felt for awhile that WW is a little under appreciated.

She's only female superhero that is really recognized by the general public.

If I were a MANNUP collector, I would try to pick up a nicely presenting 6.0+ unrestored copy.

Of course I'm not, so I continue digging stuff out of dollars boxes.

however, there is ample supply across all grades, to meet current demand... by that definition it not only cannot be "rare", but would be considered to be "plentiful" (in a relative term)

now sure, if you are putting criteria on a purchase (no "warts" etc), then you do drastically reduce the available supply, and the book becomes "rarer" by comparison, but there is NOTHING rare about AS 8 or Sens 1 or WW 1 (thumbs u

Edited by Hamlet

I bet for every slabbed copy I have seen, I run across 4 raw. That is the data that is not incorporated in trying to analyze the books. Sure there are only 10 more blue label as8 on the census compared to action 1 (which metro is proving really is not all that rare either lol ) but I bet there are 20 to 1 raw copies available so that really skews perception when you have a broader market scope

Many thanks to Linda Carter. :cloud9:

That could change pretty quick with a decent uptick in demand.

I've felt for awhile that WW is a little under appreciated.

She's only female superhero that is really recognized by the general public.

If I were a MANNUP collector, I would try to pick up a nicely presenting 6.0+ unrestored copy.

Of course I'm not, so I continue digging stuff out of dollars boxes.

There really are Wonder Woman collectors, lol..and they are a dedicated crew...try buying one of the scarcer books when you are looking for it...like Sensation 6...can't find them at multiples of guide.

I'd pick the All Star 8

1. because it IS her first appearance

2, because it's a great cover

3. because there are other characters in the title, so other collectors might be interested (if you are thinking of investment)If there is a tie between Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, the Sensation is scarcer.

I have all three, but the All Star was the one I wanted first, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

(thumbs u

How often do you see raw Action 1's change hands?

That is a book I would almost always expect would get certified before it got sold. It's just too expensive to risk purchasing raw for most people. Well, people I know :D

I bet for every slabbed copy I have seen, I run across 4 raw. That is the data that is not incorporated in trying to analyze the books. Sure there are only 10 more blue label as8 on the census compared to action 1 (which metro is proving really is not all that rare either lol ) but I bet there are 20 to 1 raw copies available so that really skews perception when you have a broader market scope

How often do you see raw Action 1's change hands?

That is a book I would almost always expect would get certified before it got sold. It's just too expensive to risk purchasing raw for most people. Well, people I know :D

exactly my point... most action 1's are slabbed before they sell...but many many AS8 are not...so, for one of the posters to try to state comparable "rarity" of the 2, is just not applicable (thumbs u

Agreed.

I see low grade AS8's even in the relatively small conventions here in Minneapolis. The book is currently not extremely hard to come by as long as grade is not a concern.

I do think that an increase in demand has the potential to soak up those copies pretty quick.

Whether that increase in demand will ever happen is debatable though.

exactly my point... most action 1's are slabbed before they sell...but many many AS8 are not...so, for one of the posters to try to state comparable "rarity" of the 2, is just not applicable (thumbs u

(shrug)

I do think that an increase in demand has the potential to soak up those copies pretty quick.

Whether that increase in demand will ever happen is debatable though.

The wonder woman tv show with linda carter was very popular for the 80's crowd; maybe the 90's and later crowd aren't aware of its existence. Might need a successful wonder woman movie like iron man to increase "new" demand

Edited by SpiderTurtle

Wonder Woman is considered one of the all time big 3 for DC, Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman, so no going wrong there. (the only 3 that have gone non stop ever since the early G.A.!) In general this introduction shows for the first time that a female superhero could be tougher than men and be a mainstream character, so it breaks some gender barriers in an era where that did not often happen.

All 3 books are classics, I like the classic All Star cover and significance, but IMHO just about equal is Sensation #1 for her 2nd appearance and the first ever book & series dedicated to a female superhero. That in itself sets it apart from the others for breaking some large male dominated barriers in those very early days. This was a smashing success, not just one full series in Sensation, but a second Wonder Woman series followed soon after! WOW!

Plus, who is more powerful AND hotter than Wonder Woman? A great combination!

I DO collect Wonder Woman.

I DON'T own either of the 3 in question.

I specifically collect WW 1-203 so in my case WW #1 would rank First. It is my assumption (based on what I've seen over the years) that there are more Sensations that are raw out there then there are WW's. All Star is the 1st WW EVER so if I were not specifically collecting what I collect I would take the AS as an investment. To me then Sensation would rank 3rd and to me it's a weaker first cover appearance than most. I've always felt that the WW #1 is the most recognizeable iconic cover of the 3. All that being said ALL 3 I believe are great investments.

I'm probably in the minority based on my collecting preference hm

I DO collect Wonder Woman.

I DON'T own either of the 3 in question.

I specifically collect WW 1-203 so in my case WW #1 would rank First. It is my assumption (based on what I've seen over the years) that there are more Sensations that are raw out there then there are WW's. All Star is the 1st WW EVER so if I were not specifically collecting what I collect I would take the AS as an investment. To me then Sensation would rank 3rd and to me it's a weaker first cover appearance than most. I've always felt that the WW #1 is the most recognizeable iconic cover of the 3. All that being said ALL 3 I believe are great investments.

I'm probably in the minority based on my collecting preference hm

my money would be there are many more raw WW 1's than Sensation 1's (thumbs u