• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darwyn Cooke

42 posts in this topic

I rarely go a local comic store since most of the one close by have only moderns, statues and TPBs. But I was killing some time the other day and talked to the lady that was there. We discussed a few of the highlights from ECCC that happened a couple of weeks back and we were talking about next year and Jet City Comiccon which happens in September. She told me that the organizers had secured Darwyn Cooke, which I subsequently replied with a puzzled, "Who?"

She told me a bit about some of his work on cartoons and suggested I read the DC: The New Frontier. I must admit, it was a pretty good read and I loved the art.

So, are you guys fans of Darwyn Cooke?

Yes, definitely a fan. He has a unique style among the comic book crew. His style is probably not uncommon among designers / illustrators but it's quite unlike most others in the comic field. He has an uncanny ability to draw retro stories.

You should consider checking out his interpretation / adaptation of the Parker novels. Two volumes are out. Highly recommended b/c it combines the goodness of Cooke with the greatness of Westlake. :thumbsup:

Yep, he has a great retro look in his art and looks like he can write a good story. I'll have to check out the Parker novels. His work reminds me a bit of Frank Miller's in Sin City, but with color and a world that isn't all doom and gloom.

By all means look into Cooke! I read vol.1 of New Frontier and loved it. His work on "The Spirit" was actually more enjoyable (for me) than Eisner's work! *Gasp* And he does some great Batman work! I'm looking forward to getting some 40% discount coupons for Borders, and for my next graphic novels purchases, getting those Parker books of his (can't stand buying retail--too cheap!-).

In some respects, I think I like Cooke's retro style more than I do Bruce Timm's work.

I love his work. He also happens to be a really nice guy. He did a Catwoman sketch for me 7 or 8 years ago at the Vegas con. The con was dead so he really got to take his time and we got to chat. He's really a pretty neat guy with an art style I really enjoy.

Yes, definitely a fan. He has a unique style among the comic book crew. His style is probably not uncommon among designers / illustrators but it's quite unlike most others in the comic field. He has an uncanny ability to draw retro stories.

You should consider checking out his interpretation / adaptation of the Parker novels. Two volumes are out. Highly recommended b/c it combines the goodness of Cooke with the greatness of Westlake. :thumbsup:

+100 I'm a huge fan, probably more so than any other comic artist.

I couldn't agree more.

The Parker adaptations are outstanding. I recommend that you run, don't walk, to your local bookstore or LCS and get them. Also ask at your LCS about "The Man with the Getaway Face" which takes place between Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the graphic novels. It's an oversize comic that was bargain priced at about $3.

I will get a SS done for him next year for sure :) Supposedly they are going to have don rosa there next year too I can't wait for that one . I try not to get my hopes up on guests though till the last month of the con cause they can always cancel or who knows what S:

I couldn't agree more.

The Parker adaptations are outstanding. I recommend that you run, don't walk, to your local bookstore or LCS and get them. Also ask at your LCS about "The Man with the Getaway Face" which takes place between Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the graphic novels. It's an oversize comic that was bargain priced at about $3.

whoa, i missed that. thanks for the heads up. a page of OA from the Parker novels is on my WonderCon want list.

I couldn't agree more.

whoa, i missed that. thanks for the heads up. a page of OA from the Parker novels is on my WonderCon want list.

Maybe not. IIRC, the heist story from 'Getaway Face' is rolled into Vol 2.

I couldn't agree more.

Yeah. All pages in Getaway Face are in the Parker 2 book. No need to chase it down unless for completeness. It is printed oversized vs. the undersized books so that might be of interest for that alone as well. Still won't give up my copy.

I couldn't agree more.

Yep, if you read Vol. 2 you didn't miss anything as far as story goes. However you did miss owning an odd shapped newspaper type thing that won't fit into a comic bag or box and will cost you a few bucks.......oh what am I saying, you're a collector, of course you'll want it. :insane:

I'm a huge Cooke fan. Be sure to check out Selina's Big Score. The cheapest way to get it is part of the Batman: Ego and other tales TPB that is all Darwyn, all the time. Has anyone read the Superman: Kryptonite story he wrote and Sale drew?

I couldn't agree more.

The Parker adaptations are outstanding. I recommend that you run, don't walk, to your local bookstore or LCS and get them.

I'll second and third these comments. I love Cooke, though was late to that party too, I discovered him last summer or thereabouts. I quickly picked up all his stuff I could find including his Spirit run and the Parker books. He's one of my favorite modern artists along with Ashley Wood and Riley Rossmo.