• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darwyn Cooke

42 posts in this topic

You could say I'm a fan. :insane:

Wow. I'm rarely jealous. But that second page in particular is just classic Cooke. Really amazing pieces. Congrats. If you ever decide to sell.....

I'm starting to be a big fan of Darwyn.

I'm a big fan of Bruce Timm and his style and Darwyn's is a logical next step.

For me, these two have simplicity yet complex art, great use of shadows and colors, really beautiful femme fatales, tough guys and good ol' monsters.

+1

Basically the same for me. Big fan of Bruce Timm's comics work in the 90s, saw the stylistic similarity in Darwyn Cooke's art when he started later on, around 2000, and I decided to give his work a try. He's turned out to be a great writer / artist and I've got pretty much every comic he's ever done, with the one exception of Superman Confidential.

I'm starting to be a big fan of Darwyn.

I'm a big fan of Bruce Timm and his style and Darwyn's is a logical next step.

For me, these two have simplicity yet complex art, great use of shadows and colors, really beautiful femme fatales, tough guys and good ol' monsters.

+1

Basically the same for me. Big fan of Bruce Timm's comics work in the 90s, saw the stylistic similarity in Darwyn Cooke's art when he started later on, around 2000, and I decided to give his work a try. He's turned out to be a great writer / artist and I've got pretty much every comic he's ever done, with the one exception of Superman Confidential.

+2 Love Timm and Cooke. Beautiful retro-style comic art. :)

I wan't terribly impressed with Batman: Ego, but it's early comic work for Cooke and I read it after New Frontier. The Catwoman stuff is really good and worth reading.

I wan't terribly impressed with Batman: Ego, but it's early comic work for Cooke and I read it after New Frontier. The Catwoman stuff is really good and worth reading.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a fan of Ed Brubaker, too, so I'll check out the Catwoman series.

I was stunned by the similarities between Selena's Big Score and the Parker novels.

Not having read them, in what way were they similar? Story line?

Yes, they are all heist stories. I bet Cooke always wanted to write the Parker books and wrote the Selina's Big Score as an homage. There is a character called Stark in Selina's Big Score, and Richard Stark wrote the Parker books. (shrug)

I was stunned by the similarities between Selena's Big Score and the Parker novels.

Yes, they are all heist stories. I bet Cooke always wanted to write the Parker books and wrote the Selina's Big Score as an homage. There is a character called Stark in Selina's Big Score, and Richard Stark wrote the Parker books. (shrug)
This was exactly what I thought as I was reading SBS. In addition to being a heist story, I think a lot of the style and art in SBS is a trial run for the Parker books. But IMHO, Cooke had defined and simplified his style by the time of Parker.

This was exactly what I thought as I was reading SBS. In addition to being a heist story, I think a lot of the style and art in SBS is a trial run for the Parker books. But IMHO, Cooke had defined and simplified his style by the time of Parker.

Style yes, but really in Selina, the strong colors are washing out what you see in Parker. I will say that I believe Cooke has become a little too minimalist for my tastes on Parker ... but given the size of the undertaking for each GN, I can't blame him but it is somewhat watered-down work, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a fan of Ed Brubaker, too, so I'll check out the Catwoman series.

There are 4 Catwoman books by Ed Brubaker and Cooke does the artwork on the first 4 issues in the series. It is collected in Dark End of the Street. I love all 4 books. Some of the are out of print and may be hard to find.

Anybody else get a copy of Richard Stark's Parker: The Martini Edition? It's huge and collects both Parker novels as well as tons of bonus stuff. The size allows better review of the artwork. This is the Long Beach Comic Con edition (thanks BeachBum). I also have the regular edition.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

Anybody else get a copy of Richard Stark's Parker: The Martini Edition? It's huge and collects both Parker novels as well as tons of bonus stuff. The size allows better review of the artwork. This is the Long Beach Comic Con edition (thanks BeachBum). I also have the regular edition.

This edition is so awesome. It's even bigger than an Absolute :sumo:

You can still grab this variant from the IDW store along with the TMNT collection variant as well.

https://shop.idwpublishing.com/idw-store-exclusives/parker-the-martini-edition-hc-variant-edition.html

https://shop.idwpublishing.com/idw-store-exclusives/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-ultimate-collection-volume-1-variant-edition.html

You could say I'm a fan. :insane:

2712178015_8c73eaca22_o.jpg

What is this panel from? I like J Bone work as well and noticed his name in the corner.

J Bone regularly does inks for Darwyn. I think Cooke's done some inks for him as well (Spidey Christmas trade, or something along those lines). He's a pretty nice guy too--did a cool sketch cover for me a while back.

And can I just say "wow." I would LOVE to snag a Cooke Batman sketch, let alone a published page. Like Timm, he has such a unique, classic style that just seems to suit Batman so well. He's easily one of my favorite artists / storytellers and a really cool guy to boot!

Darwyn is just about my favorite artist. Selina's Big Score is amazing and the Parker stuff is also incredible. The issue of Shade he did a few weeks ago is worth picking up, even if you aren't into Starman.

His two issues of Jonah Hex are amazing too; 33 and 50 I think.

His design work is topps in the biz. Sometimes he does covers that are a little to "photoshoppy" for me, but other than that small complaint, I love the guy. I am even looking forward to the Watchmen prequel stuff that he has a hand in. I think his style will be perfect for the time period.

Darwyn's definitely a favourite of mine.

He lives in Halifax (where I'm from) most of the year, so there are normally book launches and signings hosted by Strange Adventures Comic Book Shop here in town whenever he's got something coming out.

I've managed to snag a few signatures and sketches from him over the past few years, and lucked out on an awesome Parker pin-up that was published in the Parker: A Portfolio of Words and Pictures - Volume 2.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=625086&GSub=105453

That's awesome, I didn't know he lives in Canada. I hope he comes to CalgaryExpo this year! I"d love to meet him and have him sign my huge Parker HC. Pretty soon i'm going to need to bring a forklift to the expo to carry all the books I want to get signed :P